Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 PM

10 posts, read 30,608 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a good area to move to in SD. We are also looking for a safe location for our kids (12 and 7). We have heard mixed reviews about Vista, Spring Valley, Chula Vista and National City. We are looking to rent first but we want to be in the right neighborhood.

We are looking for any websites that will help us decide where to live and any good locations to eat. We are also interested in the night life. Please share

Are there any websites for "US" (Blks) for the SD area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,737,271 times
I'd avoid National City and Spring Valley. Areas of Vista and Chula Vista are considered good , but neither are close to much nightlife. You'd have to live closer to the center of San Diego for easy access to nightlife and interesting restaurants and neighborhoods.

Portland is a great town, btw.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:26 AM

349 posts, read 1,544,806 times
Eastern Chula Vista is very nice (91915, 91914, 91913). The schools are excellent, esp Elementary and Middle. My dh grew up in Portland and he loves San Diego.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
Chuk ...

What neighborhood are you moving from in Portland? Do you want something similar in San Diego?

Old 07-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Thx SDurbanite, if it wasnt for the job we would remain in Portland.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:13 PM

Suzer, we currently live in the Sabin area on the NE side of Portland and our boys attend a Charter school. we are only minutes from downtown and we are currently renting.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:46 PM

33 posts, read 120,778 times
Chuk,
The safest place to raise a family is in North County: Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, 4S, etc. Its also really expensive. I live in Portland too and will move back to San Diego next summer (I grew up in SD). I think you're in for a culture shock. When I first moved to Portland in 1988, I thought everyone was weird and behind the times. There was no sales tax (still no sales tax) and eveyone was wearing things that were in fashion years before. People protest here at the drop of a hat. Remember how all the hippies and street punks were protesting Schumacher Furs? Ran them out of town! You won't get that in San Diego. People are too busy enjoying themselves. If at first you think people are kinda standoffish, just be patient. There are tons of good and bad people out there, just like Portland. Lots of people from Portland say they don't like Cali after visiting there. They don't know what they're talking about. You just need to find a good group of friends to be with. There are a lot of transplants there so you should be ok. My dad moved back to SD 10 years ago and felt welcomed by the neighborhood he moved to. If you have kids and can afford it, Poway's school district is the best in the city. The kids seem to be really ambitious - way more than any area of Portland even Lake Oswego. Also, North County has almost no crimes. Just speeding and smoking weed....thats about it. Good Luck!

PS-if ya like Mexican food, you'll be in heaven. There's no good Mexican food in Portland, trust me. Look for fast food looking joints called "Roberto's" or "Alberto's."

Old 07-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Hi Chuk&Mee -

Based on your preference for a neighborhood, I would recommend finding a rental in Old Town, Hillcrest, University Heights, Kensington, or Mission Hills. Central San Diego is as close as you are going to come to NE Portland. Hillcrest and Mission Hills are especially walkable. There are many options for Charter Schools in San Diego.

Downtown San Diego is likely to be too pricey, and even though many neighborhoods are quite upscale, there are still elements I wouldn't want my kids to be around.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:20 PM

Another area you might like is Rolando Heights/Village. It's pretty close to San Diego State. There are many charming vintage homes in the area, and it's relatively affordable to rent. Sassberto, the Moderator, knows more than I do about the area. I haven't lived there since 1989.

Best wishes in your relocation.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 AM

258 posts, read 1,650,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Mcgee View Post
Chuk,
The safest place to raise a family is in North County: Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Poway, Rancho Bernardo, 4S, etc. Its also really expensive. I live in Portland too and will move back to San Diego next summer (I grew up in SD). I think you're in for a culture shock. When I first moved to Portland in 1988, I thought everyone was weird and behind the times. There was no sales tax (still no sales tax) and eveyone was wearing things that were in fashion years before. People protest here at the drop of a hat. Remember how all the hippies and street punks were protesting Schumacher Furs? Ran them out of town! You won't get that in San Diego. People are too busy enjoying themselves. If at first you think people are kinda standoffish, just be patient. There are tons of good and bad people out there, just like Portland. Lots of people from Portland say they don't like Cali after visiting there. They don't know what they're talking about. You just need to find a good group of friends to be with. There are a lot of transplants there so you should be ok. My dad moved back to SD 10 years ago and felt welcomed by the neighborhood he moved to. If you have kids and can afford it, Poway's school district is the best in the city. The kids seem to be really ambitious - way more than any area of Portland even Lake Oswego. Also, North County has almost no crimes. Just speeding and smoking weed....thats about it. Good Luck!

PS-if ya like Mexican food, you'll be in heaven. There's no good Mexican food in Portland, trust me. Look for fast food looking joints called "Roberto's" or "Alberto's."
Very accurate post !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego