Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:10 PM

895 posts, read 4,248,514 times

Advertisements

We currently live in south orange county and my husband is considering an offer in Del Mar. This would entail a relocation for us. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for a safe, upper-middle class areas with good schools (or good private schools). Any ideas would be great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 PM

87 posts, read 476,163 times
Del Mar.

Have a nice day.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:55 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Del Sur or 4S Ranch - excellent public schools (Poway Unified School District) and close to Del Mar.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:10 PM

Since yesterday, my husband has considered and accepted a job offer in Del Mar. I looked at the places recommended and am wondering if there are other options? I couldn't find Del Sur. 4S Ranch seems a little too new and cookie cutter for my husband. I need to do some more research on Del Mar, I guess.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:58 PM

33 posts, read 120,778 times
Del Mar is fine living. It's one of SD's best areas and you can't go wrong. Just live near work and you'll be very happy. If its too expensive try other North county areas like Poway, Rancho Bernardo, etc - they have the best public schools in the area (housing is still kinda pricey). But since you live in Orange county, you probably already know what thats like. Del Mar is right on the beach...if you can't find happiness there God help you!

Good Luck

Old 07-28-2008, 06:10 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
Everything north and east of Del Mar is safe and would have good public schools. It all depends on what you're looking for, and on how much you can afford to spend. It's tough to afford Del Mar or even 4S Ranch on a single salary (unless he's going to make 150K/year).

Old 07-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Del Sur or 4S Ranch - excellent public schools (Poway Unified School District) and close to Del Mar.
I keep hearing about 4S and I'm guessing you live there. I checked out their website and it appears to be very new. How new is it? Is it established or is it still young?

We are pretty depressed because we just moved five days ago and will probably need to move again before school starts in a few weeks. I don't want to traumatize my 1st and kindergardener by making them start the school year and then having to move a few weeks later. So...looks like we're going to have to make a quick relo. Just have to stop unpacking boxes

Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
4S is new and young. As recently as 1998 there was nothing but brush and rattlesnakes throughout the area.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5FLgirls View Post
I keep hearing about 4S and I'm guessing you live there. I checked out their website and it appears to be very new. How new is it? Is it established or is it still young?

We are pretty depressed because we just moved five days ago and will probably need to move again before school starts in a few weeks. I don't want to traumatize my 1st and kindergardener by making them start the school year and then having to move a few weeks later. So...looks like we're going to have to make a quick relo. Just have to stop unpacking boxes
Like esmith says, 4S Ranch is still pretty young. The first homes were probably built around 2000 but there are still homes being built. It is very family oriented and has a great community feel. It is a master planned community. We moved there in '05 (my kids were 4 & 6 at the time). We just moved to Connecticut this summer but we kept our home in 4S ranch and are renting it out just in case we ever want to move back.

The schools are excellent, the people friendly (I liked that it was new - I think it makes it easier to make friends since many people have just moved to the area), the kids activities (soccer, baseball, boys & girls club, library) are wonderful, parks all over and you can walk to great shopping. It is so self contained (a great gas saver). As you can tell we loved living there and that's why I suggest it so much to people with kids. I was in that situation of not knowing where to live in San Diego just a few years ago (and now here in CT), so I know how it feels.

Del Sur is just West of 4S Ranch and is even newer. Both communities have houses ranging from condos to large houses behind gates. 4S has a nice apartment complex called the Reserve. Good luck, I had read your post yesterday in the moving forum so I know this is not an easy move for you!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:36 AM

Thank you all for the information. My children are 6,4,3,1 and my oldest is pretty heavily involved in gymnastics. She is addicted to it! Right now I'm doing some research on competitive gyms in the north county area and then we're going to just drive around for a day or two. We're definitely going to rent and I haven't figured out if I should use a realtor for this or go with craigslist. I'm so nervous but renting makes it easier (sort of) because if it gives us a year to figure things out. Downside is the possibility that my kids will have to switch schools in another year making it the fifth change for them in three years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego