Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 06:11 PM

3 posts, read 44,381 times

Advertisements

I got a job offer from both SD and SF. I am single and will be making about $100,000 a year. I am looking for a place to settle down, but somewhere in the middle of city, or close proximity to city.

While living in the east coast (Boston) for past 10 years, I only have made two short trips to CA. Can anyone give me some insight about both places?

I am totally clueless!!! Please anybody help me with making a right decision.
Thank you for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 07:04 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,398 times
If you will make the same salary, choose San Diego unless you dont mind renting in San Francisco. The costs of living is much lower in San Diego, youll be able to afford alot more

Old 01-23-2007, 08:48 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,508 times
Also consider the weather. San Diego warmer climate, San Francisco cooler climate, which one do you prefer? Both are on the coast. Both are great places but they are totally different then one another. If you have a job offer in both places then I would consider the weather, what do you like to do for entertainment and fun? What is your style? Stuff like that to start with then work from there.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
SF is more like boston - dense - highly educated, lots of high-tech
SD is more like Florida - spread-out, suburban, laid back.

SF is wicked expensive, SD is a little more reasonable.

Visit both. I think SF is among the greatest cities in the country but am not a huge fan of the rest of the bay area.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 44,381 times
Default Thanks for your kind reply.

I don't have any friends or relatives in CA. If I get to move there, I would like to meet new people and make some friends.

I heard that SD is more relaxed and SF is the fast pacing . Is that true?

Old 01-23-2007, 09:07 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izu1925 View Post

I heard that SD is more relaxed and SF is somewhat face pacing. Is that true?
San Diego is more relaxed.

San Francisco is a good-looking with the bay, hills, and GG Bridge, but I would rather live in San Diego. San Diego has phenomenal beaches, year-round activities, and access to ski resorts in the winter.

(As a side note: I think San Francisco has a lot of "special people." "Special people" who you really won't see in San Diego. I'm not saying all San Diegans are normal people, but San Franciscan's are known for being eccentric, and at the edge. SF is like US's refuge for "special people." Special people are hipsters, hippies, bohemians, homeless, gay and lesbians, self-expressionists, and crazy people. Again, I'm not saying you won't find any in San Diego.. It's just much more pronounced and accepted in San Francisco. -Take this knowledge, and use it how you please. Take it, or leave it.)

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 01-23-2007 at 09:50 PM..

Old 01-24-2007, 12:47 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
If money were no concern, definitely San Francisco - there's more to do, it's more interesting and pretty, the weather is more changeable (not a sort of monotonous year-round paradise like San Diego - believe it or not paradise can become boring). San Francisco has more character, people tend to be more interesting, creative and intellectual.

But if you're only making 100,000 a year, probably San Diego is the better choice. In San Francisco people are either multimillionaires or they're homeless.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:28 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,217 times
If you are single and don't mind renting I'd recommend S.F.- $100K in SF is not a lot of money, but the rental market has softened in the city some. I wouldn't plan on "settling down" in the bay area, however, unless you expect to make a pay raise of 2-3 times your current salary in 5-10 years b/c it is so expensive. Also, as pointed out, the areas surrounding SF are suprisingly gross- some of the worst suburbs of any major metropolitan area.
SD is GREAT if you love the beach and don't mind meeting a lot of, um, less ambitious people, but as a single person, if you are interested in meeting a lot of well educated people, SF is a better spot. SD is more of a family place or drunk college/beach bum place. Frankly, it also depends on your age. If you are over 35 and female I'd recommend San Diego b/c the shelf life of women in SF is pretty short.
As pointed out SF is very similar to Boston and SD is more like Florida, so it isn't even a close comparison- your decision really depends a lot on your personal preferences. If you like culture, archecture and living in a city- SF is your place. If you like the beach and fish taco stands, san diego is the place.

Old 01-27-2007, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 30,893 times
Hey there,
I'm origionally from CT. I live went to school in MA and worked in Boston for 5 years in IT. I had been to CA 2x before.....I made all my plans to move to SD but, ended up in SF. I won't get into the details. I'll just say I drove cross country, spent 9 months in Vail CO (read ski bum). I have a HS friend in SF who said I could bunk up till I got on my feet so I decided on SF.

I'm now considering SD again. I think it really depends on what you enjoy doing. SF is really cool, I live in the city but, I really don't make that much money although I still seem to get by fine, I just think SD would be better suited for what I enjoy doing. Moutain biking, surfing, motorcycles....bacically an very active lifestyle. Don't get me wrong you can definately get that here in the bay area, however I think the high cost of living makes it tougher and I'm pretty low maitenance.

SF has lots of good restaurants, museums, and cultural activities none of which I take advantage of. I'm starting to remember why I origionally chose SD. Which was for the laid back attitude, the warm sun, and the active lifestye I believe is there.

SF is more like Boston, as far as weather...I"m sure you'll enjoy both climates compared to Boston in terms of extremes. SF however, really doesn't get that warm. I do miss being able to go to the beach and just chill out in the sun.

I'm also single, don't have many friends here, and no relatives in the area. That's my 2 cents. PM me if you have any specific questions. There definatly is a different in the east coast/ west coast attiude in general. Then you have the So Cal/Nor Cal difference.

I think I'd sum it up as:
So Cal..work to live
Nor Cal..live to work.

Eric

Old 01-28-2007, 05:24 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,427,587 times
'I'd recommend San Diego b/c the shelf life of women in SF is pretty short."

That made me laugh. I don't associate SF with cute girls though.....OC/SD/LA yes, but SF seems more of a yuppie couple scene. The burbs there are bad. In fact, the only burbs I like there are further south like El Gatos, Pleasanton, etc. But those places are insane expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego