Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM

284 posts, read 1,013,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Go to the December Nights celebration in early Dec. in Balboa Park. It's one of the coolest festivals anywhere. Choirs, music, food, all the museums are open for free 'till 9:00 P.M. Also, many churches and youth groups have very fun Halloween celebrations for kids. Plus the "trick or treating" in most all neighborhoods. Enjoy Also, the 4th is HUGE out here- - multiple fireworks in the sky- - actually SD is ranked as one of top ten places to celebrate the 4th.
Now this sounds like my kind of event! Thanks! I did hear that they have ice skating in downtown San Diego (perhaps Balboa Park?). What could be better than ice skating outdoors in SoCal?

I am usually involved with the Harvest Festival at church and that's always fun. What about haunted attractions? Detroit is known for having the largest number of these during Halloween but it's catching on in bigger cities. Maybe LA would have more of that sort of thing than SD though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM

490 posts, read 1,550,570 times
The skating rink is below the NBC building on Broadway. Fun Also, there are many haunted fun things to do- -let's see, the Haunted Trail in Balboa Park (very fun and scary), Haunted Hotel downtown, (lines around the block for the whole month of Oct.) Del Mar Scream Zone @ the race track- -just a few I can think of.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
The skating rink is below the NBC building on Broadway. Fun Also, there are many haunted fun things to do- -let's see, the Haunted Trail in Balboa Park (very fun and scary), Haunted Hotel downtown, (lines around the block for the whole month of Oct.) Del Mar Scream Zone @ the race track- -just a few I can think of.
Woohoo! Sounds like fun! Glad to know about these things. Thanks again for sharing! My husband and I are really active and love going to events like these. Actually it will be nice to do some of these things without it being so frigid for once!

Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post

Kind of surprised that 4th Of July and Memorial Day are not more of a big deal with all the military!
They are, not sure what the other poster was talking about. July 4th is probably SD's biggest holiday and usually hundreds of thousands of people pack the beaches every year and well over a million over the course of the weekend. But it was fairly tame this year in Pacific Beach, where the biggest crowds are, due to the alcohol ban on the sand. Memorial Day is big too but not as big as July 4th, the weather that time of year can be hit or miss and this past May it was a miss b/c of cool temps and rain.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:22 PM

9,522 posts, read 30,361,645 times
I almost always go back to NY for the holidays. Around here it's almost like they don't exist.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:38 PM

130 posts, read 445,502 times
I love, love, love the Christmas decorations on Garrison Street in Point Loma (zip 92106). It only runs for a block between Chatsworth and Liggett, but well worth it--get of the car and walk it as they do quite a setup in the windows. Some nights (weekends?) the kids at one of the houses set up a stand and sell hot chocolate...

Boat Parade in December is also worth catching from a waterfront location!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:09 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
I was fortunate to be in New England just after the peak season for Fall foliage one year - beautiful. There is nothing like that here. I'm sure our local mountains have some color, but nothing like it is back there.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:35 PM

786 posts, read 3,910,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They are, not sure what the other poster was talking about. July 4th is probably SD's biggest holiday and usually hundreds of thousands of people pack the beaches every year and well over a million over the course of the weekend. But it was fairly tame this year in Pacific Beach, where the biggest crowds are, due to the alcohol ban on the sand. Memorial Day is big too but not as big as July 4th, the weather that time of year can be hit or miss and this past May it was a miss b/c of cool temps and rain.
I guess it's just celebrated differently than the East Coast & Midwest where you have small town parades. Going to the beach isn't how I celebrate those holidays. Like I said, I think I would feel differently if I had been brought up there.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I almost always go back to NY for the holidays. Around here it's almost like they don't exist.
I guess that means I'll have to over compensate!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
I was fortunate to be in New England just after the peak season for Fall foliage one year - beautiful. There is nothing like that here. I'm sure our local mountains have some color, but nothing like it is back there.
It is beautiful in New England during the Fall and Winter! Same with Northern Michigan. Lots of trees and rolling hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego