Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:56 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times

Advertisements

It's a two way street. Kids and Parents. Teachers and Communities. You need both.

Scripps Ranch schools don't have art and music but people live in mansions... what does that tell you about schools in California???

Old 09-08-2008, 03:47 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times
Those schools do have band / orchestra

Old 09-08-2008, 05:02 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
Those schools do have band / orchestra
If they want anything, the parents pay for it. The parents do the art and music. My co-worker says that the kids are not allowed to run during recess and get PE for one day a week. And then we wonder why our kids are fat!

My buddy's kids are in Solana beach and it is the same. He has paid thousands over the years to get his kid a part-time art teacher, part time librarian. He is buying his kid's teacher a laptop because she doesn't have a computer in her room. This is in one of the wealthiest areas in the country!

It's pathetic!

Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,827 times
They don't pay for instrumental music- -funded by VAPA unit of City Schools.
It is interesting - -where is all the money from the lottery that's supposed to be funneled into school programs?

Old 09-08-2008, 05:22 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick682 View Post
It's because those schools are close to the city, and south. If you want good schools, you have to go to the suburbs up north. Poway school district is the best. One thing I have seen in SD, and LA, is that you can have a nice wealthy area and go only 5 to 10 miles and be in a crumby area. One example is Carlsbad vs San Marcos, Carlsbad schools are much better than San Marcos, yet the towns border on one another. As with everything in California, if you want something good, you have to pay for it.

Where I am living now, you can get better schools than in SD, and the housing is half the price. Guess it just depends on what your priorities are. If you're living in SD, your best bet for good schools with a relatively cheap cost of living are Poway and Penasquitos (poway school district). Carlsbad is rated high too, along with Del Mar both pricey zip codes. It's hard to have the young hip urban scene and good schools too.
WHERE ARE YOU LIVING, NOW? Thank you,

Old 09-08-2008, 11:20 PM

34 posts, read 120,108 times
Why not homeschool?
I am a single, working, homeshcooling mother. There are so many options out there and your children will only need a few hours of one-on-one instruction, as a parent you have plenty of support. I encourage you to research this option, it really is wonderful and plentiful and you and your childeren will greatly benefit. In addition, there are pleanty of homeschool support groups allover the country that you and your children will never have a solitary moment.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryana View Post
See, you already said it. You, as a teacher already know that the parents of the disadvantaged students are pathetic losers who do not care about the child. And you are going to change them to be responsible adults? No. They will never be responsible adults. So, you as a teacher have the responsiblity to teach the child and make the child responsible for himself/herself.
When is it ever correct to speak for someone else, especially when you don't know the other person? This is actually very rude and disrespectful. When did I use the words "pathetic" or "losers?" Those are your words. I never said or implied anywhere about the ability to become or not become "responsible adults." I'm not a teacher either, why did you think I am, are you not reading what people write? I am making observations and stating facts, not some soapbox speech.

A school/teacher should try to get students to learn (which is what I said in one of my other posts), but the teacher cannot "force" (as in physically making the child's hand take pencil to paper) them to do homework. They can only create punishments. Private school is completely different, in that the act of sending a child to private school in itself creates expectations of the child to be serious about education.

I know someone who went to a good district in a very rich area, and he said some of the kids were crazy and did whatever they wanted since their parents didn't live with them (they were left with housekeepers in their mansions). Not exactly kids doing their homework, since they were partying and racing cars, etc... Is the teacher supposed to make up for the lack of parenting there when the parents choose not to live with the children? That's not the fault of the teacher.

My comments are merely a reflection of observations on what is going on:
Common Good: Teaching Interrupted: Do Discipline Policies in Today's Public Schools Foster the Common Good?

"Among the most alarming results demonstrating how our lawsuit culture undermines school discipline:
  • Nearly 8 in 10 teachers (78%) said students are quick to remind them that they have rights or that their parents can sue.
  • Nearly half of teachers surveyed (49%) reported they have been accused of unfairly disciplining a student.
  • More than half of teachers (55%) said that districts backing down from assertive parents causes discipline problems in the nation's schools."
How can people say teachers should practice more discipline when other parents are suing because they think the discipline is in excess?

Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 AM

19 posts, read 96,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
When is it ever correct to speak for someone else, especially when you don't know the other person? This is actually very rude and disrespectful. When did I use the words "pathetic" or "losers?" Those are your words. I never said or implied anywhere about the ability to become or not become "responsible adults." I'm not a teacher either, why did you think I am, are you not reading what people write? I am making observations and stating facts, not some soapbox speech.

A school/teacher should try to get students to learn (which is what I said in one of my other posts), but the teacher cannot "force" (as in physically making the child's hand take pencil to paper) them to do homework. They can only create punishments. Private school is completely different, in that the act of sending a child to private school in itself creates expectations of the child to be serious about education.

I know someone who went to a good district in a very rich area, and he said some of the kids were crazy and did whatever they wanted since their parents didn't live with them (they were left with housekeepers in their mansions). Not exactly kids doing their homework, since they were partying and racing cars, etc... Is the teacher supposed to make up for the lack of parenting there when the parents choose not to live with the children? That's not the fault of the teacher.

My comments are merely a reflection of observations on what is going on:
Common Good: Teaching Interrupted: Do Discipline Policies in Today's Public Schools Foster the Common Good?

"Among the most alarming results demonstrating how our lawsuit culture undermines school discipline:
  • Nearly 8 in 10 teachers (78%) said students are quick to remind them that they have rights or that their parents can sue.
  • Nearly half of teachers surveyed (49%) reported they have been accused of unfairly disciplining a student.
  • More than half of teachers (55%) said that districts backing down from assertive parents causes discipline problems in the nation's schools."
How can people say teachers should practice more discipline when other parents are suing because they think the discipline is in excess?
Those teachers and school DESERVE to be sued. 100% of the time, they are wrong and incompetent at issuing discipline and should not be teaching. They need to do it right and go through proper procedures. The goal is to correct the behavior and teach responsibility not to punish. Think about it. Do you think missing recess "everyday" to do homework corrects the problem? NO!!!! It should only take one or two disciplinary actions to correct the problem. That's the problem with the schools and teachers. They do not know how to teach responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego