U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:54 AM
 
28 posts, read 237,674 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

Good morning!! We have been very very busy getting ready to move to SD. We came out and visited about 2mos. ago.. time is flying.

We really liked it and espically like the Hillcrest/Mission Hills areas. DH and myself both like urban areas that are eclectic/diversified. We would prefer to live near the Whole foods Store, or anywhere in that area. Thing is the public middle schools all have such poor ratings in these areas. WHY?? Here in the Milwaukee area we have a diversified area, "The East Side". The public schools are pretty good there. I have searched and searched in the DePortela and Lewis school areas. Sure they are pricy areas to rent, but if I'm going to pay I want to live where we are happy. Are these schools really soo bad? What is bad about them? Yes I have researched the schools, demographics, etc.. Are there gangs/fights at these schools?

Our DD is 13 and her last year of middle school. We are confident that she has a good head on her shoulders. She maintains an A+/A average and participates in many school clubs and sports. She is also vocally gifted and loves chior and singing solos. As parents we get involved with the various school programs, etc. Is there any reason a child who wants an education can't get one even if the school is rated low? Will it hurt academically to send her to lower rated school for a year, untill we can get her signed up for next year, high school out of our area? I know she won't hang with the "wrong" crowd, but I do worry about her feelings (wanting to be liked/accepted) and it is sooo heart wrenching when a young teen. Of course there is always the bad element in any school and kids find their niche.

I did see a post from mewzikguy when researching this site. I hope he/you will be able to help and anyone else who has any knowledge of the school situation in SD.

Thanks!!

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-29-2008 at 09:10 AM..
Rate this post positively

 
Old 07-29-2008, 09:14 AM
 
202 posts, read 844,861 times
Reputation: 107
Default SD resident 20yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Good morning!! We have been very very busy getting ready to move to SD. We came out and visited about 2mos. ago.. time is flying.

We really liked it and espically like the Hillcrest/Mission Hills areas. DH and myself both like urban areas that are eclectic/diversified. We would prefer to live near the Whole foods Store, or anywhere in that area. Thing is the public middle schools all have such poor ratings in these areas. WHY?? Here in the Milwaukee area we have a diversified area, "The East Side". The public schools are pretty good there. I have searched and searched in the DePortela and Lewis school areas. Sure they are pricy areas to rent, but if I'm going to pay I want to live where we are happy. Are these schools really soo bad? What is bad about them? Yes I have researched the schools, demographics, etc.. Are there gangs/fights at these schools?
Our DD is 13 and her last year of middle school. We are confident that she has a good head on her shoulders. She maintains an A+/A average and participates in many school clubs and sports. She is also vocally gifted and loves chior and singing solos. As parents we get involved with the various school programs, etc. Is there any reason a child who wants an education can't get one even if the school is rated low? Will it hurt academically to send her to lower rated school for a year, untill we can get her signed up for next year, high school out of our area? I know she won't hang with the "wrong" crowd, but I do worry about her feelings (wanting to be liked/accepted) and it is sooo heart wrenching when a young teen. Of course there is always the bad element in any school and kids find their niche.

I did see a post from mewzikguy when researching this site. I hope he/you will be able to help and anyone else who has any knowledge of the school situation in SD.
Thanks!!
It's because those schools are close to the city, and south. If you want good schools, you have to go to the suburbs up north. Poway school district is the best. One thing I have seen in SD, and LA, is that you can have a nice wealthy area and go only 5 to 10 miles and be in a crumby area. One example is Carlsbad vs San Marcos, Carlsbad schools are much better than San Marcos, yet the towns border on one another. As with everything in California, if you want something good, you have to pay for it.

Where I am living now, you can get better schools than in SD, and the housing is half the price. Guess it just depends on what your priorities are. If you're living in SD, your best bet for good schools with a relatively cheap cost of living are Poway and Penasquitos (poway school district). Carlsbad is rated high too, along with Del Mar both pricey zip codes. It's hard to have the young hip urban scene and good schools too.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
 
9,112 posts, read 28,627,921 times
Reputation: 5689
The problem is complicated and there are many varying opinions. However it is generally a state-wide problem, particularly in Southern California: wealthy core urban and middle income areas in CA have terrible schools, period.

Areas like Mission Hills typically will have decent elementaries but the middle and high schools are a disaster. Most parents send their kids to private school or send their kids to schools outside of the neighborhood. You mentioned Lewis, that is still a good school and generally that area (Allied Gardens / Del Cerro / San Carlos) is one of the only central SD areas that still has decent schools up to HS. The high schools that DePortola feeds into (Clairemont / Mission Bay) are not particularly good. High Schools are the biggest problem.

Personally I am so concerned by it we are considering moving out of the city if not the state when the time comes for our child. My wife is a teacher and has seen the problems from the inside and it is not good. The areas with good schools in San Diego are either extremely expensive and wealthy or cookie-cutter tract home sprawl suburbs that look like they could be anywhere in the country. If I was going to live in a tract home I could move to Denver and buy one for 200k instead of 800k.

If you want to get into CA's school problems you might want to start here:
The Merrow Report- Television (First to Worst) (http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tv/ftw/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by NYSD1995; 07-29-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
 
490 posts, read 1,481,512 times
Reputation: 217
All American cities gave up there urban core white majorities as far as school kids decades ago. That's what started "white flight" in the early 60's. Since Whites & Asians are the two cultures that value education, you now have to either live in areas where they are or apply for enrollment into those areas. Elementary schools in urban areas are typically not too bad because young black/ latino kids haven't yet realized that their cultures dictate no interest in academia. Early middle school, they figure it out, and the situation deteriorates quickly. You have several choices:1). Live in the fun, funky exciting urban area & send your kids to private or suburban schools once they get to middle school age; 2). Live out in the affluent white suburbs where schools are pretty uniformly good. I wish you the best of luck One other thing, SD is considered one of the best large urban districts in the country, along w/ Charlotte & Austin.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 PM
 
28 posts, read 237,674 times
Reputation: 25
Thank you all so much.
The link Sasberto provided was a real eye-opener !!!! I also hate the thought of the "cookie cutter" neighborhoods. We are relocating due to my Rheumatoid Arthritis. Last year, DH secured a very good position in Las Vegas with Clark County. We went to see what the neighborhoods are like.. cookie cuttered to death. We came back home and decided Vegas was not for us.

mewzikguy, we were true urban warriors in Milwuakee. We formed a neighborhood group to help bring up property values and rid the area of absentee landlords. We worked with area politicians, business and banks to create a tool loan center, home renovation rebates, and low interest home loans. It was a total renaissance, and a beautifl and diverse neighborhood. BUT... due to circumstances (we adopted late in life) our home got too small as the kids grew up and the 2 story home could no longer accomadate my worsening RA. We had an opportunity to build on my grandparents old farmstead, about 35mi outside of Milw. It's soooooo "whitebread" and we soooo want to get urban again. Many new suburbs going in and too many strip malls.

BUT.. our DD's education comes first. I will keep looking in the Allied Gardens/Poway, Penasquitos and DePortola School areas. Live there for a year as she completes 8th grade, and meanwhile get our DD on list for good HS.

Are there any problems that anyone knows of with going to school outside of the district where you live?? SD has a list and registration to go to different school and is first come first serve.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
 
9,112 posts, read 28,627,921 times
Reputation: 5689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Are there any problems that anyone knows of with going to school outside of the district where you live?? SD has a list and registration to go to different school and is first come first serve.
It's usually first-come first serve for open enrollment in SDUSD. There are many programs and if you really work the system I think you can get your kid in. Poway, suburban districts are not as open to intradistrict transfers.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Paradise/Las Vegas
1,658 posts, read 7,249,960 times
Reputation: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minni View Post
Good morning!! We have been very very busy getting ready to move to SD. We came out and visited about 2mos. ago.. time is flying.

We really liked it and espically like the Hillcrest/Mission Hills areas. DH and myself both like urban areas that are eclectic/diversified. We would prefer to live near the Whole foods Store, or anywhere in that area. Thing is the public middle schools all have such poor ratings in these areas. WHY?? Here in the Milwaukee area we have a diversified area, "The East Side". The public schools are pretty good there. I have searched and searched in the DePortela and Lewis school areas. Sure they are pricy areas to rent, but if I'm going to pay I want to live where we are happy. Are these schools really soo bad? What is bad about them? Yes I have researched the schools, demographics, etc.. Are there gangs/fights at these schools?

Our DD is 13 and her last year of middle school. We are confident that she has a good head on her shoulders. She maintains an A+/A average and participates in many school clubs and sports. She is also vocally gifted and loves chior and singing solos. As parents we get involved with the various school programs, etc. Is there any reason a child who wants an education can't get one even if the school is rated low? Will it hurt academically to send her to lower rated school for a year, untill we can get her signed up for next year, high school out of our area? I know she won't hang with the "wrong" crowd, but I do worry about her feelings (wanting to be liked/accepted) and it is sooo heart wrenching when a young teen. Of course there is always the bad element in any school and kids find their niche.

I did see a post from mewzikguy when researching this site. I hope he/you will be able to help and anyone else who has any knowledge of the school situation in SD.

Thanks!!
Bad schools?The schools in the county fair off better than other places the same size as us.If you want bad schools try Hawai'i,Chicago,Detroit,Las Vegas,Miami,Denver.Those are some bad schools.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:55 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,282 posts, read 82,596,543 times
Reputation: 55458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The problem is complicated and there are many varying opinions. However it is generally a state-wide problem, particularly in Southern California: wealthy core urban and middle income areas in CA have terrible schools, period.

Areas like Mission Hills typically will have decent elementaries but the middle and high schools are a disaster. Most parents send their kids to private school or send their kids to schools outside of the neighborhood. You mentioned Lewis, that is still a good school and generally that area (Allied Gardens / Del Cerro / San Carlos) is one of the only central SD areas that still has decent schools up to HS. The high schools that DePortola feeds into (Clairemont / Mission Bay) are not particularly good. High Schools are the biggest problem.

Personally I am so concerned by it we are considering moving out of the city if not the state when the time comes for our child. My wife is a teacher and has seen the problems from the inside and it is not good. The areas with good schools in San Diego are either extremely expensive and wealthy or cookie-cutter tract home sprawl suburbs that look like they could be anywhere in the country. If I was going to live in a tract home I could move to Denver and buy one for 200k instead of 800k.

If you want to get into CA's school problems you might want to start here:
The Merrow Report- Television (First to Worst) (http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tv/ftw/index.html - broken link)
great post thank you.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,503 posts, read 5,851,182 times
Reputation: 882
It's a basic principle. Dumb, poor uneducated parents -> dumb kids who either don't value education or are simply uncapable of studying -> low scores and a lot of crime. Wealthy and intelligent parents -> smart hard-working kids -> high scores. City schools are not rated lower because they have bad teachers or wrong programs. They are mostly rated lower because the ratio of bright kids to future vagrants and convicts is lower. When teaching is done at the level of a median kid, low-quality environment means that your bright kid isn't pushed hard enough. Worse, peer pressure can hold him from outperforming.

Some school districts do have slightly better quality of education because they have more money to throw around. Places like Carlsbad, Solana Beach etc. collect a lot more money in property taxes than Escondido and Chula Vista. So they can afford to spend more on schools. But, there are high-rank schools both in Escondido and Chula Vista. So, it's not money, it's demographics. Even in a perfectly white county, 50% of all kids in the county have IQs below 100. And they all have to live somewhere. On top of that, San Diego and LA have large uneducated hispanic populations. A hispanic kid with janitor/lanscaper (possibly illiterate) parents, who does not hear a word of English till he goes to the kindergarten at the age of 6, will inevitably do worse on tests than a comparably smart white kid.

Whether people realize that or not, they will flee from low-ranked to high-ranked areas if they can afford it. That drives up house prices in good areas and depresses house prices in bad ones. It's the new segregation. Chula Vista built a lot of new houses with dedicated schools east of 805, and now there are good schools in CV ESD. Poor and dumb people are left behind in old CV and Imperial Beach. Schools in established areas have the tendency to decline over time. Some areas fare better, some fare worse. Sometimes areas decline below a certain level and then the process feeds on itself. It's an infinite circle.

Nationwide, only one out of every three children goes on to get a bachelor's degree. At the extreme, house price driven segregation will place all of these children in the same public schools, at the top 1/3 of housing. A few "accidental" smart kids born to uneducated poor parents will make it into charter schools like Preuss.

Also, there really isn't anything anyone can do about it. School districts all across the country tried to fix similar disparities in the 60's and 70's, when they were forcibly busing children from disadvantaged schools into good schools, or vice versa. (Disadvantaged children tended to be blacks, but that was mostly coincidental.) The result was that wealthy parents were pulling children out of the public school system altogether and placing them in private schools.

Last edited by esmith143; 07-29-2008 at 02:17 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 07-29-2008, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Escondido, CA
1,503 posts, read 5,851,182 times
Reputation: 882
Quote:
If you want to get into CA's school problems you might want to start here:
The Merrow Report- Television (First to Worst) (http://www.pbs.org/merrow/tv/ftw/index.html - broken link)
It's a bit biased IMHO...

On the subject of money: Poway Unified's spending per pupil is around half the nationwide average, but schools are still pretty good (or so I've heard).

On the subject of test scores: state-average test scores are biased, because english-learners, blacks and hispanics always perform worse than whites in every state on all tests - from 4th grade math to SAT's and GRE's. Right now, California has by FAR the largest percentage of English-learners in the country. Already in 1992, California had 5th lowest percentage of white 4-graders, only higher than in Hawaii, Mississippi, New Mexico, and Texas. Today it's 2nd lowest. Less than a third of all students in Californian public schools are white.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread
>
Powered by Foreclosure.com


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top