Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:46 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times

Advertisements

I took a day trip down to San Diego last Saturday just to relax, do some exploring, and get out of the LA smog for a day. I've been to San Diego a handful of times before, so my goal wasn't to try to see everything; my goal was to go back to some of my favorite spots (La Jolla, especially) and check out some of the various neighborhoods around town... sounds boring to a lot of people but this is what I love doing in my free time... just exploring neighborhoods. And I think San Diego is the ideal place to do just that. Here are 28 photos. First set is along La Jolla Scenic Dr N-- I walked the two miles of that road. In one of my shots you can see the skyline of the UTC and even make out the Mormon temple. Then I explored an area I've never been to before-- Mission Hills, along India St. I then drove through North Park, Hillcrest, City Heights, and Kensington. Coming back I saw the old Mission for the first time (it was nice, but it felt like a see it, saw it, now move on kind of thing). Then I went through Clairemont Mesa and saw some of the less glamorous parts of San Diego. I came full circle, returning to the La Jolla Shores area in the late evening. I could not believe how many Arizona license plates I saw down there. The place was literally teaming with zonies! I just spent the last four years of my life in Arizona (go sun Devils!) so I know exactly where they're coming from. Anyway, enjoy the photos. I'm going to post this on the national forum, to show them, that San Diego IS truly America's finest city.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:57 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
^^^Great photos! I can tell that you got of the beaten track by venturing into Kensington, North Park, Hillcrest and Middletown (aka India Street)

Old 07-08-2008, 10:20 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
^^^Great photos! I can tell that you got of the beaten track by venturing into Kensington, North Park, Hillcrest and Middletown (aka India Street)
Thanks... India St was a great find. It was only about two blocks and only had stuff on one side of the street, but that little stretch was packed with a lot of unique establishments. Next time I go back to SD I'm going to explore that whole area NW of downtown more in depth. Also, have you been to Mission Brewery? It was on the west side of I-5 on the other side of Washington st. In fact, now that I think of it, I've noticed a ton of microbreweries all over San Diego.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:30 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,007 times

Oh. My. GOD, I LOVED this place when I lived in SD. You just bought back a flood of memories.

We have El Pollo Loco here in the "A", but it just ain't the same!

Now if can get In-and-Out (pipe dream, i know) and Jack-in-the-Box (more likely), I'll be cool for a minute.

Still can't get a decent fish taco here eiither.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
I started a collection of videos of SD at my blog: The San Diego Turtle (http://turtlesd.blogspot.com/ - broken link)
City-data won't let me embed them here (or I haven't figured out how) so please visit the link

Old 07-19-2008, 02:50 PM

30 posts, read 131,857 times
Default Hindsight...

My husband and I moved from San Diego 4 years ago to Lake Havasu (long story, but we don't have a house payment, hence the move). I lived in San Diego for 45 years and I really have NO pictures from there! I just took it for granted that I would be there forever, so I really do love seeing these pictures! Although San Diego is a gorgeous city, I would never consider moving back. It's just not the same as it used to be. BUT, we don't plan on staying here forever either. As a matter of fact when the market picks back up we are thinking of possibly relocating to Pocatello, Idaho! Although we've never lived in the snow, maybe it's time to give it a try! Thanks for all the pictures, I really love to see them. There's even one picture that shows two of the buildings I workied in downtown in the '80's... and even the window of the office! Too cool! Enjoy San Diego for me!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 AM

Welcome to the Gayborhood aka Hillcrest! Straight, gay, bi, tranny, urban, hip, bars, vibrant, food, lively, colorful, diverse are just a few words that come to mind when one thinks of this much-loved, south of the 8, neighborhood.

Lieutenant Dangle from Reno 911 only shops here

Always busy University Ave cuts right thru the 'hood

Pink Flamingo's, anyone?

More than a few sidewalk restaurants dot the main drag

The Alibi-sexual is one of the few straight bars in the area

Uptown District

Hillcrest at night

That's all, folks!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:57 PM

Just making up for the lack of new pics from the past few weeks -

Met up with a friend for lunch yesterday.......the view from his office is worth millions

Standing from the edge of the cliff in the pic above looking South towards La Jolla Shores

....and North towards Torrey Pines

Paraglider up-close

Alfresco dining on Avenida de la Playa at The Shores

My fellow San Diegans would agree that being in heaving means a Carne Asada Burrito, Chips w/ Salsa and a large Coke!! Am I wrong here?!?

Looking towards Mt. Soledad

You can't be a block from the beach and not go there!

Anyone go to the new downtown Children's Museum yet? It's a great building and kids seem to love it, especially my niece and nephew

A few more around downtown

Now back to my neck of the woods - Adams Ave thru Normal Heights

Lestat's is where Jewel and Jason Mraz used to play before they got big

This brick building always reminds me of being in Milwaukee.

Hipster on a bike

Fred and Wilma Flinstone live here

Zooming in on my neighborhood, with Mt. Helix in the Background

One last look at a beautiful sunset from my front doorstep

Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

My fellow San Diegans would agree that being in heaving means a Carne Asada Burrito, Chips w/ Salsa and a large Coke!! Am I wrong here?!?

You all knew I meant to say "Heaven" and NOT "Heaving", right?

Old 07-25-2008, 11:58 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
great pics as usual sdurbanite! I don't get up to Hillcrest much but it's one of SD's best urban neighborhoods and according to the American Planning Association one of the 10 best in the nation, which says a lot IMO.

Those pics of the beach are great! Makes me want to ditch work right now and head out there. Last night NBC7 has this new water temperature imaging map and they showed most of SD from PB north at 72 degrees!! that is perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego