Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times

Advertisements

San Diego is California's primary resort city and as such has a large number of low-paying service jobs. Remember traditionally San Diego had no manufacturing base to speak of and was a navy town. That small-town quality arguably contributes to SD's high housing costs as it is a more attractive city than say, LA due to it's lack of industrial and large-scale commercial districts. However it is a double-edged sword as that infrastructure supplies much-needed middle-class jobs which San Diego is well-known as lacking.

The housing costs in SD are high but is actually lower than other CA cities like SF or LA. The difference is in pay. San Diego pays like a small midwestern city which makes the housing costs that much harder to bear. The real problem is when you get to the 100k+ mark and the job market thins out considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 01:11 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
If housing is the biggest contributor to high cost of living in CA, how come there are many long time residents who have owned their homes for more than 10 years who still complain about how expensive the state is and are planning to move out? There are numerous posts on this forum from these people.
I think many of these people don't realize how much they'll get paid in other states. My wife and I moved out here in 2005. We make about $50K more in California than we did in Rhode Island without getting any promotions, extra education, etc. I work a little more than I did back there, but I also get paid 35% more for the work I do out here. Houses cost more in California, but the difference in pay allowed us to buy out here when we couldn't back there. Somebody who has lived in CA for a long time might be in shock about what they'll be paid if they move elsewhere.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 AM

240 posts, read 889,070 times
Tristram Shandy, I don't think the numbers are there to substantiate your argument.

From the Census Bureau's FactFinder website, using your example of Rhode Island:

In 2006:

San Diego County
Median household income: $59,591
Median home value: $572,000 (9.6 times income)

Providence County, RI
Median household income: $46,098
Median home value: $273,700 (5.9 times income)

Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMark View Post
Tristram Shandy, I don't think the numbers are there to substantiate your argument.

From the Census Bureau's FactFinder website, using your example of Rhode Island:

In 2006:

San Diego County
Median household income: $59,591
Median home value: $572,000 (9.6 times income)

Providence County, RI
Median household income: $46,098
Median home value: $273,700 (5.9 times income)
Those two years make a hell of a difference though - - prices of housing in the Northeast have remained steady (going up in some places) while the housing bubble has burst out here. We bought our house this year. Our house was sold for over $500,000 in 2005, and we bought it for $315,000 this year.

It could be based on our professions (higher education and secondary education) and may not be the same in other fields, however. We made less than the median household income for Rhode Island but are now significantly over it here. The same might very well not be true for sales jobs, engineering, etc.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:55 AM

240 posts, read 889,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Those two years make a hell of a difference though.
Oh, I know, and I agree with you on that.

I won't push the argument too hard (don't want to be obnoxious about it!), but even if you look back at a pre-bubble year (1999), the median home price in San Diego was about 5 times the annual income; in Providence, it was about 3.5 times the annual income.

Last edited by MisterMark; 08-18-2008 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: used the wrong word (berate)

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
It could be based on our professions (higher education and secondary education) and may not be the same in other fields, however. We made less than the median household income for Rhode Island but are now significantly over it here. The same might very well not be true for sales jobs, engineering, etc.
Education actually pays pretty poorly in CA (SD especially) compared to NY/CT/NJ. But for what I do (software, web, etc..) unless you are working in SF, LA, DC, NYC, etc... everywhere pays pretty much the same. In San Diego there are companies offering senior software devs 75k, that's pretty much the salary you would expect in someplace like Columbus OH where houses cost 150k. Atlanta, Dallas, Denver the same job will pay 100k.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:00 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,437 times
Yeah it kind of sucks. I only want to move from NYC back to SD b/c that's where my mommy and daddy are lol. But it's not fair. They got in when their house was 250k....in 1994..even right now, during the downfall, it's still worth 700k. Sucks to be the newer generation.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Education actually pays pretty poorly in CA (SD especially) compared to NY/CT/NJ. But for what I do (software, web, etc..) unless you are working in SF, LA, DC, NYC, etc... everywhere pays pretty much the same. In San Diego there are companies offering senior software devs 75k, that's pretty much the salary you would expect in someplace like Columbus OH where houses cost 150k. Atlanta, Dallas, Denver the same job will pay 100k.
Well that sucks. But I still disagree with college education. Once again just Rhode Island compared to California, SDSU pays significantly more than the University of Rhode Island does (or at least did). The same is true for USD compared to Roger Williams University (private law school in RI). But it's looking like my profession is in the minority.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Well that sucks. But I still disagree with college education. Once again just Rhode Island compared to California, SDSU pays significantly more than the University of Rhode Island does (or at least did). The same is true for USD compared to Roger Williams University (private law school in RI). But it's looking like my profession is in the minority.
I am speaking of elementary / secondary. We have looked into it, my wife would be making 30-50% more in most Northeastern cities as opposed to here. NYC even offers a stipend / moving expense / signing bonus for teachers working in NYC public schools.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:46 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its a state where you get to pay 9% income tax, $6000/yr property tax, $400/yr car tax, 7-9% sales tax, $0.04 extra on every beverage container, and a million other hidden taxes that show themselves through higher costs for everything.
California has very low property tax rates, and they only appear significant to new homebuyers because house prices are so high. More importantly, tax collections are crippled through prop 13, long-time homeowners pay so little in property taxes, it's ridiculous. You may be paying $6000/yr, but your contributions are offset by 5 of your neighbors paying $600/year each for identical houses. So the state has to come up with other sources for the money. The system is more anti-new-resident than anti-wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego