U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:51 PM

76 posts, read 235,315 times

Advertisements

I am a mid-late thirties married man, father of two very young boys and I'm strongly considering relocating to San Diego from central Jersey. Been an East Coaster all my life but have always been drawn to California. I work in telecom sales and make a decent living but the weather is a real bummer, especially with two small kids. My wife and I just count days until it's warm enough to play outside and especially hit the beach, for three months. Then it's back inside or hit the malls (not a good option). Is San Diego a good choice? After doing some initial research it looked like there were great neighborhoods like Hillcrest, Normal Heights, North Park (we love to walk, love main street type street life, parks) but there was a surprising large amount of negativity I've spotted on this forum. I'd love some honest input from the forum, especially regarding life for a family, cost of living, neighborhoods.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

85 posts, read 488,908 times
Just go back through the forums, most of the issues have been addressed ad nauseum.

One point, the areas you mention are not very family friendly, IMO. If public schools are a consideration, you will probably want to be in N. County somewhere.

Cost of living is of course high, although Jersey is high too. If good weather is your primary consideration, then you will probably find it well worth it. If not, then there are a lot of other places in our country and world for that matter that offer a higher quality of life (again, IMO) for a lot less cost. But of course you have to give up the weather.

Have you visited SD yet? That would be the first step in my view to determine how you feel about the area.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:08 AM

35 posts, read 347,343 times
Well let's trade places I visited your state and loved it. I was in south Jersey near Atlantic City in Ventnor ( I think that is the correct spelling).

I grew up in San Diego, but now reside in Northern Ca ( I like the diverse culture here). Normal Heights and Kensington are great places to live, If I recall correctly. You may also want to check out Bonita, ( it's kind of pricey though) University Heights, and Del Cerro. The weather in SD is OK, but personally I like to experience the change of seasons. SD can be very humid as well.
Good luck to you and your family on your relocation!

Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,341,604 times
Sd has the mildest weather in the US, beside FL and HI.

Anywhere you live you can be at a park or beach in 10 to 20 minutes.

What is your price range? NJ is pricier right?

Old 01-29-2007, 02:02 PM

76 posts, read 235,315 times
Default Mugsy

Thanks for the response. Price range is probably $600K-$750K. But we are also thinking of renting a 2 bedroom apartment first, get a feel for neighborhoods and cost of living, etc., then look for a house. Probably the most important considerations are:
1. Safe, low crime rates (with understanding that this is a city - we spend a lot of time in NYC)
2. Walkable neighborhood with parks, shops, etc.
3. Beach not too far away
4. A commute that won't kill (decent train or bus would be best), likely need to get to Pacific Center Boulevard, near Sorrento.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,944,363 times
For 600-700k, you can buy a pretty nice 4Bdr/2Ba 2000 sq/ft home in a nice/safe family friendly area like Rancho Bernardo. Schools are top notch from Elementary to High School. RB is also fairly central to all of San Diego. My wife works in City Hieghts, which is 20 miles south, and she still gets to work in 30 mins during rush hour. Since I'm relocating to Dallas, I'll be selling my home in RB soon (lots of upgrades). PM me if your interesting in learning about the area.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,106 times
Grew up in Bergen County NJ. Moved to Poway in N San Diego county in 1989.Love it out here

Old 05-16-2009, 11:23 PM

6,654 posts, read 8,100,774 times
I originate from Bergen County. Try Mission Hills - good schools and positive features you mention.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:26 PM

6,371 posts, read 10,936,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
For 600-700k, you can buy a pretty nice 4Bdr/2Ba 2000 sq/ft home in a nice/safe family friendly area like Rancho Bernardo. Schools are top notch from Elementary to High School. RB is also fairly central to all of San Diego. My wife works in City Hieghts, which is 20 miles south, and she still gets to work in 30 mins during rush hour. Since I'm relocating to Dallas, I'll be selling my home in RB soon (lots of upgrades). PM me if your interesting in learning about the area.
RB is a really good area. But, commute from RB to Sorrento can be nasty!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,428,863 times
But hasn't the commute eased up a bit since the massive expansion of the 805 going North to Sorrento Valley/RB? Or not much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego