Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 PM

34 posts, read 108,466 times

Advertisements

I moved from NYC to San Diego in 2001. Its strange but I really miss NYC but still wouldn't move back mainly because I have a wife and daughter now. Culturally San Diego just isn't there, no edgyness. It has a lot of good things about it but it's not a cosmopolitan city. Yes Hillcrest would be the place to live but you can't even compare it to New York. In San Diego you always feel like you are on vacation, some people like this but after a while it feels like a fun ride that you are on and like but after a while you realize you can't get off...do you see what I mean? Life is easier here for sure but not necessarily better. I miss the intellectual stimulation of the east coast, the change of seasons and the hustle of NYC. Yet I don't see myself going back, in a way its too serious there....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,286,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Not really. Most towns keep their character for a very long time. It takes many, many years for a conservative town to become liberal, or a liberal town to become conservative.
Many as in 10 years, 20 years. But cities that are hundreds of years old and have grown into giant metropolises?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Many as in 10 years, 20 years. But cities that are hundreds of years old and have grown into giant metropolises?
Yes. There are differences in the local cultures between large metro areas such as San Francisco, Chicago, New York, and Dallas. They were settled by different types of people, and the influence of those settlers remains in effect today in broad ways.

You could compare it to regional and local dialects. People in Charleston, South Carolina still have a way of speaking that is distinct from those in Savannah. Someone who grew up in New York and then moves to Nashville may suddenly find himself speaking with a "southern accent".

What the other poster said about the law of aggregation is correct.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 AM

65 posts, read 251,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Here's one for you. Los Angeles was founded in the 19th century largely by real estate speculators who created a real estate boom which drove prices sky high, leading to a bubble followed by a bust. But never you mind that, ancient history right?

If you read Mike Davis' "City of Quartz" you will find all kinds of historical undercurrents in the history of Los Angeles that continue to influence the city today. Take the Zoot Suit Riots of the 1940's as a precursor to modern day racial tension and violence. Also, look at how Los Angeles was historically an "open-shop" town, which was code for violent union busting tactics. L.A. has remained notoriously difficult to organize with the notable exception of the hotel sector, and the modern equivalent of the open shop - "right to work" statutes - have spread throughout the southwest and mountain west.

I realize that this is the San Diego forum but much more has been written about Los Angeles and I am more knowledgeable about it, so it is an easier example for me.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 AM

95 posts, read 388,670 times
Hillcrest is great! Gay neighborhoods hold their value due to the fact that gays are DINKS: dual income no kids SO.....they spend all their money on improving and beautifying their home....values go up. Notice how there doesnt seem to be many properties for sale there?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
For some great people-watching, check out the Hillcrest Cityfest today between noon and 10pm. The best part is that it's free

Annual Hillcrest Cityfest Street Fair - SanDiego.org

Old 08-10-2009, 10:06 PM

48 posts, read 125,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd View Post
I moved from NYC to San Diego in 2001. Its strange but I really miss NYC but still wouldn't move back mainly because I have a wife and daughter now. Culturally San Diego just isn't there, no edgyness. It has a lot of good things about it but it's not a cosmopolitan city. Yes Hillcrest would be the place to live but you can't even compare it to New York. In San Diego you always feel like you are on vacation, some people like this but after a while it feels like a fun ride that you are on and like but after a while you realize you can't get off...do you see what I mean? Life is easier here for sure but not necessarily better. I miss the intellectual stimulation of the east coast, the change of seasons and the hustle of NYC. Yet I don't see myself going back, in a way its too serious there....

You're right. SD has no culture, especially when compared to NYC. SD is all about tourism, while NYC carries it's own weight. I'd choose NYC over SD without having to blink. The only thing that would stop me is the cost of living. You can now find a 2br/1ba home in Hillcrest for 400k. That same amount of money will buy you 500sqft around Union Square. Not to mention the weather is much better in SD. But still, as a single man, I'd rather go for the smaller co-op in a culturally diverse city than the 900sqft bungalow in the land of incarcerated animal attractions.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2lv View Post
You're right. SD has no culture, especially when compared to NYC. SD is all about tourism, while NYC carries it's own weight. I'd choose NYC over SD without having to blink. The only thing that would stop me is the cost of living. You can now find a 2br/1ba home in Hillcrest for 400k. That same amount of money will buy you 500sqft around Union Square. Not to mention the weather is much better in SD. But still, as a single man, I'd rather go for the smaller co-op in a culturally diverse city than the 900sqft bungalow in the land of incarcerated animal attractions.
Are you kidding me? If culture is so important to you, then why do you live in Las Vegas? And NO city depends on tourism more than LV, so what are you talking about?

I'll be sure and send you a private message about the best buffets in Vegas when I go there later this Summer.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:26 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2lv View Post
You can now find a 2br/1ba home in Hillcrest for 400k.
You must be talking about condos. Most two-bedroom houses in Hillcrest are at least 500k.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
I have always wondered how the majority of gays have so much money? What do most of them do for a living that enables them to afford an expensive neighborhood like Hillcrest?

Seriously a lot of them have money, and drive nice cars.

Hillcrest is a wannabe urban neighborhood. It's true that the strip mall on university brings down the image of it being truly urban.
Hillcrest still has too many corporate chain businesses that also ruin the uniqueness of the neighborhood. Jamba Juice, Starbucks, Jack n tha Crack, Ralphs, Rite Aid kill the cool factor and actually make it feel a little suburban.

I think North Park is more urban than Hillcrest for sure.

San Diego, like the rest of So Cal, is basically one giant suburb Sure we have or hints of urbaness, but it's not large, and no place is going to compare to NYC,or any other East Coast city on the West Coast besides SF.

I'll admit, the major focus on tourism has had a huge effect on our lack of culture. It's seems like the East Coast has us beat on many important issues when it comes to this, they don't have to prove anything to anyone, while SD tries too hard to make itself look like something it isn't, (A real urban city) . The East Coast cities have more diversity of people and just a sense like your living in a real city with feeling of importance.

SD doesn't feel important, it doesn't feel energetic, doesn't feel like I'm living in a real city, compared to LA, SF or even Dallas Tx. Downtown doesn't count either, because it doesn't represent where the majority of San Diegan's live. SD probably feels more urban or city like compared to cities in the South or some Mid Western states, but it's not enough to keep people interested or excited about San Diego. What's keeping people here is of course the weather, we all know that, low crime rate, nice neighborhoods. People are not flocking here for culture, like theater plays or true urban living. More like families with money, that want to settle down and are tired of tornado's in Oklahoma. Eventually San Diego will be home to more wealthy transplants than ever before,while leaving the natives high and dry because they simply can't afford the high cost of housing since the well to do transplants bought up all the good supply.

SD has it's positives, but I'm not liking how this place is turning out. Over the years SD has been catering to the rich, building extremely expensive housing for outsiders with lots of cash, while not thinking about the effect is has on the lower income or middle class families that have been here forever. The greed runs wild in SD politics, whatever it takes to make a buck the city will do.

After 9/11, the Feds started to focus on the border security, with more walls, which lead to the massive immigration debate. The focus went from preventing terrorism, to lets keep the Mexicans out, cuz they're taking over America! Oh NoThe hostility/anger towards Mexicans and Hispanics in general in SD because of the border, causes concern for me, I feel like I'm being looked down upon when driving into or shopping in all white neighborhood. The daily drug bust in TJ makes all Mexicans regardless of legal status look bad, and paints us as criminals.

San Diego has a lot of old hardcore conservatives, so it doesn't blend too well if your Hispanic living in East County,North Inland County, i feel like SD has become less tolerant towards Hispanics. Even my parents feel the same way.They said the 1980's was a good time to be in SD, and they never saw or heard of groups like the minutemen, or other anti immigrant groups, up until the early 2000's.

Ok, I know I'm blabbering, sorry guys.

Those are my thoughts on Hillcrest/ San Deezy!

Last edited by sdlife619; 08-11-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego