Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It's hard to believe there's something worse than Teo Leo's.

Has anyone been to Carnitas Snack Shack? People at work have been raving about it and it has good reviews on yelp. However, I'm always suspect of yelp reviews.
Went there for my Birthday last year and the Food was very Good, but more American than Mexican food Imo. The homemade soda was very good also. *****warning***** If you go between the hours of 5pm to 8pm it can get crowded with no place to sit out back(seating is in the back).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:24 AM

191 posts, read 454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Unbelievable that on 8 pages not one person has mentioned Romesco's Baja Med Bistro in Bonita. If you're into authentic Baja seafood that is out of this world this is your place..if you're an Anglo, stick to Del Taco.
I don't see how Romescos is considered Mexican. We went there thinking we were going to get Mexican food, and most of the menu was pasta. And that wasn't even Olive Garden quality.

We've struggled finding good places to eat since we came here. There are few chains in Bonita (which is great!) but we haven't come across any local places that are really good. Jalisco is OK, but when I get a burrito there it is literally meat and tortilla. Nothing else. Not even a sauce.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:26 AM

745 posts, read 1,567,734 times
I have always heard that Carnitas Snack Shack is very good but I've never been. As I understand it is not Mexican food but a pork fest. Carnitas was the name of the owner's pet pig therefore the name of the business. I'm not a big meat eater so have never felt moved to visit the place.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:06 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
I don't see how Romescos is considered Mexican. We went there thinking we were going to get Mexican food, and most of the menu was pasta. And that wasn't even Olive Garden quality.

We've struggled finding good places to eat since we came here. There are few chains in Bonita (which is great!) but we haven't come across any local places that are really good. Jalisco is OK, but when I get a burrito there it is literally meat and tortilla. Nothing else. Not even a sauce.
Most Americans know next to nothing about Mexican food. What Americans think is Mexican is really only Baja Californian. There are several different regional cuisines. Mexico City, for one, was highly influenced by the French who are the second largest European immigrant people to go to Mexico.

And burritos? We went on a field trip to an ex-gold-mining region somewhere near the Valle de Guadalupe. The tour organizers hired local women to provide us lunch burritos. They fed us burritos - meat (yummy!) and tortilla, nothing else. Sounds like you got the authentic deal there.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
It's hard to believe there's something worse than Teo Leo's.

Has anyone been to Carnitas Snack Shack? People at work have been raving about it and it has good reviews on yelp. However, I'm always suspect of yelp reviews.
CSS is great but not Mexican. It's really more Californian or Cal-Mex. Still great stuff though.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Most Americans know next to nothing about Mexican food. What Americans think is Mexican is really only Baja Californian. There are several different regional cuisines. Mexico City, for one, was highly influenced by the French who are the second largest European immigrant people to go to Mexico.

And burritos? We went on a field trip to an ex-gold-mining region somewhere near the Valle de Guadalupe. The tour organizers hired local women to provide us lunch burritos. They fed us burritos - meat (yummy!) and tortilla, nothing else. Sounds like you got the authentic deal there.
Yes, sadly, it is true that most Americans don't know jack about Mexican food in general much less the regional variations.

Charlie, just FYI burritos just are not a very common food in Mexico and are only really found in the far north of Mexico and even there they aren't a big part of the cuisine. They really did originate as food for very poor miners. They'd keep them in their pockets to eat during their lunch break down in the mines so they didn't have sauce of them or else the tortilla would get soggy in the hours the burrito was in the miner's pocket. Or at least that is the story I heard.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_paige View Post
Jalisco is OK, but when I get a burrito there it is literally meat and tortilla. Nothing else. Not even a sauce.
That's how I like my burritos. I hate burritos served on a plate and smothered in sauce....ala Tex-Mex style. Yuck.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:31 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Thrillist came out with a pretty decent burrito list

Best California Burritos in San Diego

Old 06-25-2014, 09:52 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

The California Burrito has definitely become the "Philly Cheesesteak" of the west.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

It's a shame he goes and blows all of his cred by mentioning the horrible, horrible, horrible fake mex chain Santana's. That said, lucha Libre is acceptable, Roberto's has been the standard go to 'bertos for 20-30 years now, and Nico's is an abomination before god. Even if they hadn't blown all of their cred before naming Nico's number one should be enough to allow everyone to forever ignore their opinion on burritos. I mean Nico's wraps their burritos in tin foil causing it to get even more soggy, they don't toast the tortilla (which makes it soggy, makes the bottom fall out of it, and worse tastes like chewy doe instead of that pleasant crispy chew from a toasted burrito. The toasted burrito also holds up better and allows you to put on salsa without the burrito getting soggy). In short, the man who wrote that article deserves a hanging or at least to forever be ignored.

There is just nothing worse than a soggy, gummy tortilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego