Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
The California Burrito has definitely become the "Philly Cheesesteak" of the west.
And not in a good way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 03:26 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
CSS is great but not Mexican. It's really more Californian or Cal-Mex. Still great stuff though.
Thanks to all that responded to my question. I'll try to go and check them out.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:07 AM

210 posts, read 412,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks to all that responded to my question. I'll try to go and check them out.

Mikey,

Don't forget to try out Del Taco.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:57 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjhku View Post
Mikey,

Don't forget to try out Del Taco.
I forgot about them (thankfully). This is a "restaurant" with a serious identity crisis. I had a co-worker that would go to that place everyday. I made the serious error of letting him talk me into going once.

The only edible things there were the fries.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:58 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
It's a shame he goes and blows all of his cred by mentioning the horrible, horrible, horrible fake mex chain Santana's. That said, lucha Libre is acceptable, Roberto's has been the standard go to 'bertos for 20-30 years now, and Nico's is an abomination before god. Even if they hadn't blown all of their cred before naming Nico's number one should be enough to allow everyone to forever ignore their opinion on burritos. I mean Nico's wraps their burritos in tin foil causing it to get even more soggy, they don't toast the tortilla (which makes it soggy, makes the bottom fall out of it, and worse tastes like chewy doe instead of that pleasant crispy chew from a toasted burrito. The toasted burrito also holds up better and allows you to put on salsa without the burrito getting soggy). In short, the man who wrote that article deserves a hanging or at least to forever be ignored.

There is just nothing worse than a soggy, gummy tortilla.
Actually the inclusion of Santana's MXN validates his list in a time when these lists are ubitiquitous, though Luche Libre's can be heavy.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:45 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
The only one I went to during my visit was Marcy's in Mission Beach.

I thought their fish tacos were really good, and the chips and variety of salsas were absolutely delicious.

All for $6 only!! Definitely going to keep in mind the recommendations listed here for my next visit.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:09 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Sarita's in Spring Valley sells the biggest California burrito of all of them!
Two people could easily feed off it. Don't on a sat or sun, the College Kids mixed with High school kids can put the line out the door.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
It's a shame he goes and blows all of his cred by mentioning the horrible, horrible, horrible fake mex chain Santana's. That said, lucha Libre is acceptable, Roberto's has been the standard go to 'bertos for 20-30 years now, and Nico's is an abomination before god. Even if they hadn't blown all of their cred before naming Nico's number one should be enough to allow everyone to forever ignore their opinion on burritos. I mean Nico's wraps their burritos in tin foil causing it to get even more soggy, they don't toast the tortilla (which makes it soggy, makes the bottom fall out of it, and worse tastes like chewy doe instead of that pleasant crispy chew from a toasted burrito. The toasted burrito also holds up better and allows you to put on salsa without the burrito getting soggy). In short, the man who wrote that article deserves a hanging or at least to forever be ignored.

There is just nothing worse than a soggy, gummy tortilla.
I hate any burrito that is wrapped in foil.......Yes, I'm talking to you, Mission Burrito! I'm a fan of Lolita's CA Burrito.

I was in Vegas a few weeks ago and saw ads for the "San Diego Burrito" at Carl's Jr. Who knew?

Carl's Jr. dual brand puts fries in burritos, San Diego style | Reporter's Notebook

Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Did you all see the article in Huffington Post about the guy who came to SD in search of the perfect fish taco? It's an entertaining read, but the comments from locals are even better.

One Man's Exhaustive Search For The Best Fish Taco In San Diego

Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Did you all see the article in Huffington Post about the guy who came to SD in search of the perfect fish taco? It's an entertaining read, but the comments from locals are even better.

One Man's Exhaustive Search For The Best Fish Taco In San Diego
LOLOLOLOL
I do wonder why he went through Encinitas and La Jolla for Fish Tacos
Mariscos German off of 22nd and Imperial is legit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego