Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:33 AM

258 posts, read 1,650,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
Karina's mexican seafood in chula vista is pretty good!
I forgot to mention Karinas. When I'm in the South Bay I'll stop by Karinas on Broadway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:27 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Downscale: Somberos
Mid-scale: El Zerape
Upscale: Candelas

'nuff said

Old 08-22-2008, 09:08 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
EL PORTAL MEXICAN GRILLE

Has 2 locations:

Near Balboa & Genesee in Clairemont

Friars Rd in Mission Valley

They use very fresh cuts of meats & poultry

They also have a really good Salsa Bar

Also really like LUCHA LIBRE GOURMET TACO SHOP on Washington St.

Here is their website:

http://www.tacosmackdown.com/

They have a fantastic California Pollo Asado Burrito!

Aso have a great Salsa Bar.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:10 AM

64 posts, read 193,247 times
wow, so the recommendations are all over the place with no clear winner. Here is what I have so far:

EL PORTAL MEXICAN GRILLE
El Zerape
Candelas
Karinas
Casa De Pico
Coyotes
Gringos Cantina
Ortegas
Casa Guadalajara
Cotixans
Karina's
LUCHA LIBRE GOURMET TACO SHOP
Somberos
Rubios
Wahoo Tacos
Santanas
Adalbertos

Still not clear what the local favorites are for a sit down dinner vs. a quick lunch

Thanks for the input guys! I need to take my extended family out to dinner tonight and have yet to decide where to go. Family is from the east coast and Canada where mexican food is limited to taco bell and chevy's.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:16 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
I agree with many of these, but not all. I'd narrow down that list to:

Gringo's
Ortegas (although it's more upscale and not unlike what you'd find in other cities)
Candelas (same issue as Ortegas, but very good)
Casa de Pico - one of the best!
ADD: MIGUEL'S - In my opinion, and I'm shocked it's been omitted, Miguel's (three locations) is THE best in town. It's also Zagat rated, although it's far from fancy.
Casa Guadalajara

I had a HORRIBLE meal at Cafe Coyote in old town though -- the most bland, Americanized Mexican food I've ever had. Fajitas came in a watery bowl instead of a sizzling skillet. Only the fresh tortillas were good. And I agree that Rubio's and Wahoo's are not really Mexican, plus they are not unique to San Diego as they are chain restaurants.

San Diego has a lot Mexican food, but you gotta watch out for those tourist traps...

Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM

387 posts, read 2,130,654 times
I like El Indio.

La Especial Norte in Encinitas is pretty good, too.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:05 PM

130 posts, read 446,836 times
Adding my votes for Casa de Pico, seconding Lucha Libre for some interesting combos, and also adding Ranchos to the list (there's on in OB on Sunset Cliffs and also one on 30th near University)--does quite well for a sit-down and I've yet to have something I don't like there.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:20 PM

37 posts, read 122,472 times
Filbertos is my favorite for cheap and fax mexican food. For a sit-down dinner, there's a great place in Old Town called Casa (forgot the last word), but it's on the west side of the street.

Old 08-25-2008, 11:09 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
I agree that Miguel's is good for a sit down dinner (especially the Coronado location). Of course, be prepared to wait a while if you're going there on a weekend. It's a great area to walk around in before or after your meal. It's under the same ownership as the Brigantine. Everyone loves the jalapeno white sauce there.

I like Fidel's too (Carlsbad and Solana Beach), but I have to say that the service there has always been mediocre. I have a hard time recommending it to people because of the service.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM

144 posts, read 608,304 times
El Agave in Old town is a nice gourmet Mexican restaurant, it can be pricey but not sure what your budget is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego