Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:46 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,630,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Fast Food Mex Hierarchy with 1 being the best..

Level 1. El Zarape, Rays...etc
Level 2. Albertos, Filibertos, Tacos El Gordo...etc
Level 3. Sombreros, Baja Fresh, Rubios....etc
Level 4. Pollo Loco, Chipotle...etc
Level 5. Taco Bell, Del Taco.

In my 11 years on the west coast, I have never eaten at a Del Taco.
I don't blame you. Del Taco is not good at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM

128 posts, read 372,739 times
Lolita's hands down. I've never had better carne asada fries or cali burritos.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:00 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times
I would put Chipotle above Rubios or Baja Fresh any day of the week. And add MXN as a level 4.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
I have been going to Lolitas and Karinas lately. Los mejor mariscos.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
1. El Indio
El Indio Restaurant

2. The original Roberto's
Roberto's

Old 02-13-2014, 09:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
El Indio = not good
nearby Luche Libre = not bad

Old 02-14-2014, 11:31 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
El Indio = not good
nearby Luche Libre = not bad
In my 30 plus years of living in San Diego Ive had my share of Mexican food. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'll guarantee more folks will agree with me than you lol
Here's a Video link for the newcomers to enjoy
The Best Mexican Food in San Diego. El Indio!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
In my 30 plus years of living in San Diego Ive had my share of Mexican food. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'll guarantee more folks will agree with me than you lol
I agree. It really is only one's opinion. Some will write as they are the authoritative decider on what is good and what is bad. To each their own.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Yeah, I guess to each his own but I've never found El Indio to be anything worth writing about. It's very generic 1970's gringo versions of Mexican food. You'll find most of the people who go there are tourists who don't know any better because some tourist book or tv show misinformed them about it supposedly being the best San Diego has to offer. Their claim to fame is that they "invented" the fried rolled taco sometime back in the 1960's and that has become a common item on most taqueria menus.

The problem is the same quality of food can easily be found at a better price while tastier food with a bit of flair can be found for the same price. Sure, I'll take family from out of town there if they're visiting and will occasionally go there if a friend or someone insists but left on my own I won't bother visiting it.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisive View Post
so what the best mexican restaurant in town? I only care about 3 things - Taste, Cleanliness and Service.
Jorges Mexicatessen

Jorge's Mexicatessen - Encinitas - Encinitas, CA | Yelp
This place is great!
Very clean [though just a few tables, mostly take out or eat outside at tables], super friendly/nice folks...
Known for their Mexico City style Chicken soup-with avocado, rice, etc. They also have a Sunday chicken dinner family style deal-I think it's like half a chicken with all the trimmings for 7 bucks or so.
I love that place! VERY consistent over the 5 years I've been going there. Prices are reasonable, too [not bargain basement, but middle of the road with a few really good deals, too. Their chicken taco plate is a good deal.]

You also always see quite a few mexican worker guys as well as a variety of other folks. The line gets long during lunch or dinner rush; they are pretty speedy, though. Great service, always clean food and good taste.
They are known, as mentioned, for their chicken soup. I think they excel at chicken dishes in general.
However, I don't claim they are 'the best', b/c it depends on the style you are looking for, personal taste, ambiance you are looking for, etc. I don't think there is 1 single 'best' in SD. And that's a good problem to have!

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-16-2014 at 12:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego