Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 03:36 AM

31 posts, read 197,285 times

Advertisements

my wife and i are coming out to the san diego area to scope out small towns away from the city.we are looking for a town or small city that has a small town feel to it,low in crime,great views,good restuarants,hospitals,a nice looking town center to do shopping,and many other intangibles that go with a small community.we heard of these towns,and small cities if someone could please give us some input on the following,and any others that are not known to me....poway,fallbrook,santee,rancho bernardo,romona,bonsall,and escondido...
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 02:20 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Moving to the San Diego forum...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 PM

138 posts, read 999,276 times
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find a small-town feel in San Diego. I've lived here for 9 years and haven't found it yet. I guess it all depends on what you consider a "small-town" though.

Most of the good restaurants are in miscellaneous places throughout the county. Hospitals are in central locations, not in small towns.

You may like Poway, although when I'm there, I just feel like it's a big town, just far away from everything...even though it does have much of what someone needs. I do believe you have to drive out of Poway to go to the movies or good restaurants, but like I said, it all depends on what you consider a small town.

Good luck.

I should say that I live in Tierrasanta and believe it to be the best fit for me and wanting a small town feel. It's away from the hectic-ness of the city, but actually very central. You travel a couple miles down a hill and you're in the center of everything. Tierrasanta is right next to Mission Trails, which is scenic and provides nice views.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:45 PM

158 posts, read 403,749 times
Default Check out Solana Beach

Solana Beach is a very nice small town with a really nice shopping area called the Design District, a small music scene at the Belly Up, great food within walking distance and a small non-smoking beach. We have stayed at the Courtyard-Solana Beach. It is about 4 blocks from the Design District. Make sure you get a room in the back on the second floor; very quiet with a view of the ocean. The courtyard rooms are nice also. Parking is off-street, gated and secure, underneath the hotel. My wife and I have stayed there 3-4 times while visiting her brother who lives a few blocks away. (He has cats now and we are too allergic.)

Old 08-30-2008, 07:54 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,550,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionD View Post
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find a small-town feel in San Diego. I've lived here for 9 years and haven't found it yet. I guess it all depends on what you consider a "small-town" though.

Most of the good restaurants are in miscellaneous places throughout the county. Hospitals are in central locations, not in small towns.

You may like Poway, although when I'm there, I just feel like it's a big town, just far away from everything...even though it does have much of what someone needs. I do believe you have to drive out of Poway to go to the movies or good restaurants, but like I said, it all depends on what you consider a small town.

Good luck.

I should say that I live in Tierrasanta and believe it to be the best fit for me and wanting a small town feel. It's away from the hectic-ness of the city, but actually very central. You travel a couple miles down a hill and you're in the center of everything. Tierrasanta is right next to Mission Trails, which is scenic and provides nice views.
FashonD
You know I have to beg to differ on your first line.All of SD feels way too small town-ish to me.Once again though I do agree wtih your locals;seems like I always do.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:44 PM

489 posts, read 1,950,875 times
Lakeside, Alpine, Jamul, Harbison Canyon and Crest are all areas that have somewhat of a small town/rural feel yet are reasonably close to the city.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:45 AM

138 posts, read 999,276 times
I guess I watch too many Lifetime movies and my view of a small-town is one where everyone knows each other, there's not much to do, but the quaint and charming houses and tree-lined streets make it all worth it. Oh, and it always seems to be east coat weather. :-p

Old 08-31-2008, 12:55 AM

349 posts, read 1,540,668 times
The only place that feels like a "small town" to me in San Diego is Julian. Everywhere else (i.e. Jamul) are too close to other populated areas like Rancho San Diego so they don't really have that "small town" quaint and removed feel.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:28 PM

256 posts, read 733,699 times
Pine Valley is small town that is not too well known in San Diego. Its less touritsy than Julian and has better access to the freeway. It is 5o minutes to dt San Diego. I lived there for 15 years. It is the best of all worlds. Clean air, rural...can ride your horse on the streets. Yet, in a short time you can be in the hustle and bustle of San Diego. It is San Diego county, still. And the neighbors do know you. It has the small town feel.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:01 PM

21 posts, read 156,288 times
we just recently moved to Pine Valley from Imperial Beach. i love it here. small town feel. There are a couple of restaurants, and markets. its only 15 min to Alpine, which is bigger, and then 25 min to El Cajon. all filled with hospitals, doctors offices, nice restaurants. but here, in PV you can leave your car unlocked, its quiet at night, and the nighttime sky is gorgeous. my daughter is a sophomore at the highschool. they have bus pick up, so its convenient for the children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego