Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm going to SD in late October for a conference, but am bringing my mom and 2 year old daughter. I'm trying to determine the best location to stay.

The meeting is at the Convention Center.

Though I'll have a car, ideally I'd like to be within 1.5 miles of the convention center so I could walk and could get back quickly if I needed to. However, is there much in that area to keep a 74 year old (active and fit) grandmother with her 2 year old granddaughter occupied, without having to venture too far? such as parks?

The alternative is to stay in the Mission Bay area, by google that's 7 miles or so, too far to walk but a quick 15 min drive. Is it really 15 minutes? And is there a lot they could do in that area? They wouldn't want to venture too far from the hotel, and my mom probably wouldn't drive anywhere, but parks, places to play, people watch etc would be great. This area is also much cheaper. Anyone happen to know how much parking is at the convention center or is there a bus between the two areas?

So, my primary concern is easy access to light kid friendly activities within a reasonably short distance of the Convention Center. Which is preferable? Are there other areas I should look?

(I hang out in my local forum which probably gets 2-3 of these types of questions a week, so now it's my turn!)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 12:42 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
What part of Mission Bay? If it's near Belmont Park close to the intersection of Mission Blvd and West Mission Bay Dr that would be good area to stay b/c there is plenty to do nearby within walking distance. Rollercoaster and carnival type games, the beach, parks, playgrounds, etc...are all there. If it's on the eastern side of Mission Bay then there is nothing in walking distance and I wouldn't recommend staying there. The drive from Mission Bay/Beach is pretty quick to downtown.

If you stay downtown there is plenty to do as well. Balboa Park is about 1.5 miles from the convention center could keep them busy all day with all the museums, IMAX theater, science center, and the Zoo. It's a short bus ride, long walk, or cheap cab ride from the convention center. Horton Plaza, Seaport Village, and the USS Midway museum would probably keep them occupied as well and are close to the convention center.

Convention center parking is $8, if there is a event at Petco Park it's $10. The 8/9 bus routes run between Mission Bay/Beach and Old Town and you can take the trolley from Old Town downtown to the convention center.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM

The places I'm looking at are The Dana on Mission Bay (1710 W Mission Bay Dr)
and Bahia Resort. The latter looked great for kids.

I found two on Shelter Island - Kona Kao and Bay Club which also looked nice.

Of course, the low rates I found may not really be available when I try to book, but we'll see....

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:06 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
The Bahia would be best b/c its closest to Belmont Park and the ocean. The Dana is just as good too, just a little farther over a bridge from Belmont and the ocean. Probably a 10-15 minute walk to Belmont Park and the ocean compared to a less than 5 minute walk from the Bahia.

There isn't much to do within walking distance of Shelter Island though.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Why not just stay downtown and be close to the convention center? There is plenty to do in the area to keep grandma and baby busy while you are away.

Many downtown hotels have shuttles to Balboa Park and the Zoo which are nearby. There's also a ferry that takes you to Coronado. The Children's Museum is downtown and Old Town is only a few trolley stops away. Grandma can walk to Seaport Village, Horton Plaza and along the bay all the way past the airport to Harbor Island if she has the energy. There is a small tot lot at Petco Park, not to mention the many restaurants in the area to choose from, as well as Little Italy.

Weather in late October will be absolutely beautiful.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Why not just stay downtown and be close to the convention center? There is plenty to do in the area to keep grandma and baby busy while you are away.

Many downtown hotels have shuttles to Balboa Park and the Zoo which are nearby. There's also a ferry that takes you to Coronado. The Children's Museum is downtown and Old Town is only a few trolley stops away. Grandma can walk to Seaport Village, Horton Plaza and along the bay all the way past the airport to Harbor Island if she has the energy. There is a small tot lot at Petco Park, not to mention the many restaurants in the area to choose from, as well as Little Italy.

Weather in late October will be absolutely beautiful.
I was looking at hotels there too, that's why I asked about the area. Sounds great! However, it was hard to find something there in the price range. All the conference hotels were booked, and what little I could find in the vicinity of the Convention Center that was walkable was out of my price range (in the $200-250 range).

Bahia had suites w/kitchenettes for $149, which is a lot more doable.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM

130 posts, read 446,874 times
Bahia Resort would probably be fun for them--parks very close by, along with the beach and the bay. I've stayed at the Bay Club on Shelter Island--other than the beach across the street, there's not much for kiddos to do over there.

You might also consider looking in Old Town. It's on the trolley line, so you could get in & out of downtown relatively easy. (I haven't stayed at a hotel there, but I believe the rates are generally lower.) Old Town has shops and restaurants, a historic park, etc. They could also trolley into downtown from there (I'm thinking Seaport Village--there's a carousel there my niece loved at that age).

But...nothing beats being by the beach in San Diego...

Old 09-05-2008, 01:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,500 times
You could stay in Coronado and take the ferry across. It would be fun. There's a resort hotel just a few blocks south of the ferry landing. Loews or something. Super nice, bayfront. Not cheap though. Cheaper hotels are on orange avenue.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM

95 posts, read 409,083 times
Hey Chaka, you can't go wrong with theBahia Resort. It has all the amenities, parks, and walking paths nearby. Of course, the Bay is nice as well. And yes, you can get to the Convention Center in 15 minutes.

I live at Mission Beach three blocks north of Belmont Park. I regularly drive into the Downtown area and can easily make in 15 minutes. Allow yourself 10 minutes more if you are trying to make it there between 7:30 am and 8:30 am.

San Diego has traffic, but nothing like other places I've lived (LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas). We love to complain here, but truth is we have it good.

AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego