Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 PM

5 posts, read 29,882 times

Advertisements

I was recently accepted to the Newschool of Architecture and Design, so I will be relocating to San Diego this summer. I will be moving from Utah (very conservative and rural) (I tend to be a little more liberal than most Utahns)

Most of my concerns are bums, crimes, and other common concerns when relocating.

I need to be close to either the school or a trolly station to help me with the commute (as we will only be taking one of our cars to the city and my wife will need it)

Please give me some insight on the below condos/apartment complexes:

Allegro Towers
Entrada
Market Street Square
Lofts on 677
Broadway Lofts
The Heritage
Atria
Camden Tuscany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
I was recently accepted to the Newschool of Architecture and Design, so I will be relocating to San Diego this summer. I will be moving from Utah (very conservative and rural) (I tend to be a little more liberal than most Utahns)

Most of my concerns are bums, crimes, and other common concerns when relocating.

I need to be close to either the school or a trolly station to help me with the commute (as we will only be taking one of our cars to the city and my wife will need it)

Please give me some insight on the below condos/apartment complexes:

Allegro Towers
Entrada
Market Street Square
Lofts on 677
Broadway Lofts
The Heritage
Atria
Camden Tuscany
You'd need to provide some addresses for me to give you specific info, but in general the east side of downtown (near the New School) is still pretty much bum central. It's a lot better than it was when I lived down there in 98', but there's still a pretty numerous group of hardcore homeless and crackheads east of 11th.

The west and north side of downtown is very upscale. Cortez Hill is a nice area, reasonably close to the trolley, but with few amenities in the immediate area and a lot of plane noise. One area I would recommend is Little Italy, which is on the trolley line, with lots of restaurants, shops and things to do. A slightly longer ride would open up Mission Valley, which is more car-centric but very central and with lots of amenities.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Broadway Lofts 1007 Fifth Avenue http://www.broadwaylofts.com/
Allegro Tower 675 W Beech Street
Entrada 453 13th Street
Lofts at 777 777 sixth ave
Atria 101 Market Street
The Heritage 1471 8th Avenue
Market Street Square 606 Third Avenue
Lofts at 677 The Lofts at 677 Seventh
Camden Tucsany 1670 Kettner Boulevard

Old 02-05-2007, 06:23 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
Looking at my map these are what I believe are the locations of these apartment buildings. I've given my view of the area, but perhaps someone who is downtown more often than I will have better information. Any location downtown will have the stray bum roaming around. So when it comes to homeless I presume you are concerned about having more than a few.

Broadway Lofts 1007 Fifth Avenue - Broadway & Fifth - Heavy car traffic. Should be safe. Might be impacted by loud restaurant noise.

Allegro Tower 675 W Beech Street - Beech & Kettner - Next to the railroad tracks and the train station. Should be safe, but there will be train noise.

Entrada 453 13th Street - 13th & Island. Looks like its part of the stadium redevelopment. I'm not sure what the feel of that area is like for residential living. I believe you might have less than the usual amount of traffic and noise except on baseball game days.

Lofts at 777 777 sixth ave. Sixth & F Street. Should be safe, but might have a lot of car and foot traffic, especially on weekends.

Atria 101 Market Street - Market and 1st Ave - just south of Horton Plaza. I actually believe that it might have less than the average amount of noise, but I might be wrong.

The Heritage 1471 8th Avenue - 8th & Beech - Cortez Hill - A nice area. There will be a fair amount of freeway noise.

Market Street Square 606 Third Avenue - 3rd Avenue & Market Street - Same comments as for Atria 101 Market St.

Lofts at 677 The Lofts at 677 Seventh - 7th & G Street. Also should be safe.

Camden Tucsany 1670 Kettner Boulevard - Cedar & Kettner - Same comments about the train noise, but no especially large number of bums.

It seems that you have avoided the heaviest concentration of bums which is from 10th Avenue to 16th Avenue, but you will tend to have more noise from cars and people enjoying the restaurants and clubs.

Anway, anyone else who has a more specific knowledge of Downtown, please chime in.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:31 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpexpress View Post
Broadway Lofts 1007 Fifth Avenue http://www.broadwaylofts.com/
Allegro Tower 675 W Beech Street
Entrada 453 13th Street
Lofts at 777 777 sixth ave
Atria 101 Market Street
The Heritage 1471 8th Avenue
Market Street Square 606 Third Avenue
Lofts at 677 The Lofts at 677 Seventh
Camden Tucsany 1670 Kettner Boulevard

All of those are fine, 453 13th is not bad at all but there may be a sketchy block here and there... it is very close to your school as well. If you get the shakes walking down a crappy block with a crappy dude on it, it might not be for you, but I lived, skateboarded, and hung out down for years and I never had any real problems.

Have fun

Old 02-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks to all. And if any others that have some good info on the downtown area would like to share, please do.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 AM

67 posts, read 414,627 times
I am planning on moving to san Diego from Boston. I will be making around $42,000 a year. I heard that Pacific Beach and Mission Beach are nice places to live, is this true? Are there any other cities that anyone would request?

Old 02-12-2007, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,401 times
KP,

I'm moving from NY to SD and was just out there looking at apartments. I ended up signing a lease for Market Street Square (to move in March 1st). They were really nice and helpful and we got a great deal, plus we're across the street from a 24 hour grocery store, which is great.

I looked at the Lofts at 677 Seventh, and they were beautiful, but very small for the price.

If you want more info/details, you can PM me. I know what a headache it can be trying to figure all this out.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:15 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Anything East Of 8th Avenue is rough
Homeless live there like crazy

Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 6,105 times
I am looking for apartments closer to work (near the airport), and I came across the Market Street Square apartments online. How do you like living there so far? Traffic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: