U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:07 PM

43 posts, read 195,230 times

Advertisements

Thabk you for all of the great comments regarding San Diego. Is San Diego diverse?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:18 PM

1,868 posts, read 5,368,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
I just moved here to Dallas a few months ago from San Diego.

Today was my first time hearing the Tornado sirens (they were testing them).

That was one ominous sound. I would take 3 tremors over having to hear that horrifying sound again. Seriously, my body is still in 'fight or flight' mode and it happened over an hour ago.
Wait till you here them solid for an hour and your in your bathtub!!! lol That happened to us a few years ago......luckily the tornados have stayed just south of us or just north (I'm right between Dallas and Ft. Worth) . So far in almost 8 years I've only seen one bad one hit and that was the Ft. Worth one. I was getting ready to close on my house.....and thought "Oh Great!" At least you get some warning though....that's a good thing.

P.s. didn't todays weather remind you of home?? I love it when those days happen. Spring is great hear..... for as long as it lasts.

Last edited by shannon94; 02-07-2007 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-07-2007, 07:06 PM

989 posts, read 5,579,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGabrielle View Post
Is San Diego diverse?
Yes, 25% Latino/Mexicans.
View the city-data page on San Diego for more information...

Old 02-11-2007, 09:53 PM

33,380 posts, read 18,462,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahGabrielle View Post
That whole earthquake thing sounds like a nightmare.

Do you know if there are a lot of Europeans living in California?
Disaster movies tend to make gross exaggerations on what kind of destruction large earthquakes can do. You stand a greater chance of getting killed in a car crash than dying in an earthquake. The best thing one can do living here in earthquake country is be prepared!

As far as a lot of Europeans, I'm not all that familiar with large enclaves of Europeans living in any one part of the state; I would think they're scattered all over---keep in mind California is one LARGE state.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post
I would take earthquakes over a tornado any time.

We moved to austin a year ago and our first week here we were under a
tornado warning it took frour hours for the storm to leave.With a earthquake it just takes a few seconds than back to sleep.
I was born and raised in san diego, in my 36 years there.I can remember maybe 12 to 15 earthquakes. It doesn't happen very often i wish i was still there.
I'm with you about going through an earthquake versus a tornado. As you said, an earthquake usually lasts only a few seconds before you realize what's happening,whereas with a tornado or hurricane, those can last for a long time and create much destruction in their wake.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM

57 posts, read 194,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I'm with you about going through an earthquake versus a tornado. As you said, an earthquake usually lasts only a few seconds before you realize what's happening,whereas with a tornado or hurricane, those can last for a long time and create much destruction in their wake.
Having lived in both Minnesota and California, I've noticed that people tend to be overly fearful of the natural phenomena with which they're not very familiar. Californians take earthquakes in stride because they're familiar with them. Minnesotans take tornadoes in stride for the same reason. Though I've never lived in Florida, I imagine the same is true for natives of that state with regards to hurricanes.

Each phenomenon has its pros and cons.

Hurricanes give the most advance warning.
Tornadoes give a short warning.
Earthquakes give no warning.

Earthquakes are over in seconds or minutes.
Tornadoes are over in less than an hour, very rarely are storm cells to massive that actual tornado-spawning lasts longer in one area (though a cell may well move and continue to generate tornadoes in other areas).
Hurricanes last for hours to days, depending on their speed and whether or not they stall.

Tornadoes affect a very small area, typically proceeding along a path hundreds of feet wide and almost always less than one hundred miles long.
Earthquakes affect larger areas.
Hurricanes affect much larger areas.

In the end, far more people are killed in automobiles each year than are killed by hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes combined. It's always good to keep things in perspective.

Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Pick your disaster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collideascope View Post
In the end, far more people are killed in automobiles each year than are killed by hurricanes, earthquakes and tornadoes combined. It's always good to keep things in perspective.
Exactly. Too bad we have no control over natural disasters occurring. As I mentioned before, it's always best to be prepared!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM

264 posts, read 1,315,053 times
Actually, San Diego does have numerous faults running through it and offshore. We have the Rose Canyon fault through La Jolla - San Diego Bay/Pt. Loma. I think this is the one that's most mentioned when the topic comes up.

Most of the earthquakes we've felt in San Diego originated somewhere else so we only get the residual feel. We still could have quake big enough to do some serious damage. Apparently we have not had any large earthquakes originating in metro San Diego for around 220 years, but the fault moves every 350 years.
I buy earthquake insurance and really don't worry about it.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:05 AM

80 posts, read 408,042 times
I've been in SD. for 15 yrs. I've only felt 1-2 quakes in all those years. One shook my aquarium pretty bad. Water sloshed all over. Thats my earth quake story. I think LA. and SF. are more likely to experience damage than SD. You can fact check that on line. Since i'm no Geologist.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:23 PM

399 posts, read 938,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmer View Post
Actually, San Diego does have numerous faults running through it and offshore. We have the Rose Canyon fault through La Jolla - San Diego Bay/Pt. Loma. I think this is the one that's most mentioned when the topic comes up.

Most of the earthquakes we've felt in San Diego originated somewhere else so we only get the residual feel. We still could have quake big enough to do some serious damage. Apparently we have not had any large earthquakes originating in metro San Diego for around 220 years, but the fault moves every 350 years.
I buy earthquake insurance and really don't worry about it.
Aren't the deductibles in earthqake insurance really massive?
Also, I found a web page that says there is a fault line running directly under some condos I was going to look at.

http://www.liveatthetop.com/property.php?pid=63

Quote:
Other: This building has two wings seperated by a courtyard which is directly above the earthquake fault line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego