Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:09 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times

Advertisements

Well, we are finally going to make the move out to SD in less than 2 weeks! We will be driving from Michigan over a period of 3 days. My question is to anyone who has made a long cross-country trip like this. Did you make hotel arrangements ahead of time or wing it? If you winged it, was it difficult to get a room? I just want to know because although I would prefer to wing it since driving time can vary from what the map sites say, I want to make sure I will have a place to lay my head at the end of the day. Some advice on this would be helpful because neither my husband or I have ever made this kind of trip before. We will be going up I 80 and I 70, if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,180,958 times
No need to book hotels ahead, unless you want to stay in swank resorts or quaint B&B's. Of course, this time o year even those places may have availability. Maybe just call the places an hour or two ahead on the mobile phone, if possible, if not, no nig. i've done it lotsa times and never had a problem except on holiday weekends. Have a safe drive. SD rawks!

Old 09-10-2008, 12:23 PM

490 posts, read 1,555,289 times
No worries Done it many times from IND. When you get tired late at night, just find a place along the interstate, they won't be full this time of year. Welcome to SD

Old 09-10-2008, 01:31 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times
Yeah, I think you'll be fine if you just wing it like the other posters said.

Glad to hear you'll soon be joining us in San Diego. Welcome!!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:15 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,418 times
Thank you all for the warm welcome! You have no idea how excited I am about this move. I think I will take your advice and just play it by ear. I don't want to lose driving time or drive to long all because I made reservations.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:38 PM

363 posts, read 1,119,996 times
Default Take your chances

Wife and I always vacation in September, after the munchkins are back at school. Don't generally have any trouble finding accomodations. Good luck with your trip. If you feel like it-post it on the social group "Road Trippers" on this website. We'd love to hear about your adventures!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM

64 posts, read 443,222 times
If you can, pick up a copy of The Next Exit. It's basically has an exit-by-exit listing of all hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc... of all U.S. interstates. My husband and I have done the cross-country drive 3 times, and this book has been extremely useful. I got my copy at Barnes and Noble...in the map/travel section.
Have a safe and fun trip!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Or if you have a GPS, a portable navigation, it should give you the nearest motels wherever you are. Motels are usually not full, especially at this time of the year. Winging it will make you feel liberated, not constrain to certain motel at certain time.

I love hearing people moving to SD. I want this place to get a little more packed.

Welcome hanna_house!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM

19 posts, read 51,341 times
I am about to start my drive from Boston to San Diego. For part of the way I'm staying with friends, but for the rest of the trip (a majority of it) I'm gonna just wander and see what happens. From the research I've done there are a lot of hotels along I-70 and I-80 (and every other major highway). Screw planning, I say wing it!

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 PM

258 posts, read 1,504,835 times
I'm getting ready to make the trip in a few weeks from Missouri. I've got a friend in Phoenix I'll stay with for a couple of days. I figure I might stay somewhere in New Mexico for a night. I'd also recommend getting a gps, I am. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego