Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Rancho Bernardo is a neighborhood of San Diego.

The thing is, NG also posts job reqs for Woodland Hills which is a neighborhood of Los Angeles. Req says "Woodland Hills" not Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:53 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego Source: 2007 SourceBook: Companies

As you can see the biggest employer in San Diego is the Federal Government (Navy / Marines)
thats good to hear, the Feds will be my ticket to move to SD. not military though.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:48 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Charles,

Referring to your map, items B & E on your map I believe are the aerospace side of the house or Northrop Grumman. I have seen another Northrop Grumman logo near the airport, but I can't remember where. I saw it from the MTS Trolley (Blue Line). I believe it is also aerospace with a new contract, Predators or something like that. Not sure 100%, so don't talk my observation as true gospel.

There also is a naval side of the house. Used to be Contiental Maritime. C.M .was purchased by Norfolk Shipsyards (VA) about 4 to six years ago. Later Norfolk Shipyards, was in turn later aquired by Northrop Grumman, Inc.

Fleet maintenance for Northrop Grumman is located at 1995 Bay Front Street. Just a liile bit north of BAE and NASSCO. They have a few positions, but not sure here to fully advise prospective applicants

For those seeking employement another "major" hirer for the US Navy is Epsilon Systems Solutions. Very easy to find by "Googling" it. There are a moderate amount of positions available right now.
Anybody have any experience or knowledge of relocation assistance offered by Northrop Grumman? I understand NG is still very sector differentiated, meaning everything depends on the sector.

Consider the Aerospace Sector (which is big in San Diego), for a Senior Systems Engineer Level 5 making in the $130K range. What can he/she expect to be included in the assistance package? Assume employee is a homeowner and will sell it and will purchase a home in the new location. Assume hired from outside the company, not an internal transfer. What might be the best case (considering that to be something to negotiate to)?

House sale realtor commission?
House contents packing and shipping?
Two or more vehicles moved?
Temporary lodging?
House hunting trip?
Escrow and associated real estate fees?
Any guaranteed buyout option (the case which NG or it's relocation company purchases the home from you if you can't sell it)?
Points on the mortgage?

While we're at it, any comments or data or experiences on other San Diego companies' relocation assistance packages (Lockheed, Raytheon, Aerospace Corporation, SAIC, CSC, Sparta, General Dynamics, etc)?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:58 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Anybody have any experience or knowledge of relocation assistance offered by Northrop Grumman? I understand NG is still very sector differentiated, meaning everything depends on the sector.

Consider the Aerospace Sector (which is big in San Diego), for a Senior Systems Engineer Level 5 making in the $130K range. What can he/she expect to be included in the assistance package? Assume employee is a homeowner and will sell it and will purchase a home in the new location. Assume hired from outside the company, not an internal transfer. What might be the best case (considering that to be something to negotiate to)?

House sale realtor commission?
House contents packing and shipping?
Two or more vehicles moved?
Temporary lodging?
House hunting trip?
Escrow and associated real estate fees?
Any guaranteed buyout option (the case which NG or it's relocation company purchases the home from you if you can't sell it)?
Points on the mortgage?

While we're at it, any comments or data or experiences on other San Diego companies' relocation assistance packages (Lockheed, Raytheon, Aerospace Corporation, SAIC, CSC, Sparta, General Dynamics, etc)?
Those are very specific questions. Best asked directly of the NG facility which is offering you a serious offer.

Actually, those sound like the sorts of questions to be asked if the economy was at its peak and these companies were out courting you (as opposed to you out trying to find a job with them).

Sorry if this response sounds harsh. I work for a large government contractor in SD. We have highly qualified engineers in the $130k range being laid off here, because the government contractor job market in San Diego is experiencing such extreme stress.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I work for a large government contractor in SD. We have highly qualified engineers in the $130k range being laid off here, because the government contractor job market in San Diego is experiencing such extreme stress.
I see 114 Northrop Grumman open job requisitions in San Diego, 28 of them include relocation assistance.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,594,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I see 114 Northrop Grumman open job requisitions in San Diego, 28 of them include relocation assistance.
There may be 114 job reqs, but I promise you that does not mean there are 114 jobs that will be offered. I work for another large government contractor. We always have job reqs open, even during layoffs. These job reqs usually turn out to be for highly specialized positions, and often never do get filled.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:52 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Charles,

You may be right. Like I stated Predators or Global Hawk something like that. Like I said, don't take my word as gospel. Thanks for the correction.

Seems like I read in SD Tribune about a contract for communications or the like, that was with Northrop Grumman too. Just can't remember.

Trying to locate individual facets of Northrop Grumman is a real pain in the rear. Try finding Contiential Maritime, using Northrop Grumman website. LOL! That is one of the reasons when I was employed there, that Northrop Grumman purchased the beautiful bride (Norfolk Shipyards), that we (C.M.) were the ugly chld that came with the bride!
Aha!!! a quite civil three-headed guard dog speaks!!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:51 AM

You can have an awful lot of fun with this one:

I Love My Job - I Hate My Job - Browse San Diego Company Reviews

Here's an example:

"they don't respect engineers at all....
If you enjoy engineering, go work for someone else."

from

Working at General Atomics Aeronautical Systems in San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego