Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,870,314 times

Advertisements

What are the companies that employ the largest number of people in the San Diego area? I'm looking for a rank list if possible, like the top 10 or 20. If you can add the actual number of employees the company has in the San Diego area, that would be great too.

Any info would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
What are the companies that employ the largest number of people in the San Diego area? I'm looking for a rank list if possible, like the top 10 or 20. If you can add the actual number of employees the company has in the San Diego area, that would be great too.

Any info would be appreciated.
San Diego Source: 2007 SourceBook: Companies

As you can see the biggest employer in San Diego is the Federal Government (Navy / Marines)

Old 09-10-2008, 02:04 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
That list is skewed as even my Company isn't on it and it employees over 3000. I think it is because it has to be based in SD. Mine is based out of CA.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 AM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
San Diego Source: 2007 SourceBook: Companies

As you can see the biggest employer in San Diego is the Federal Government (Navy / Marines)
Qualcomm only employs 6000 people? That is little for the number of buildings in SD.
There are alot of companies that are missing on the list. My company is not even on the list, and it's the largest pharmaceutical too.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 PM

144 posts, read 608,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
Qualcomm only employs 6000 people? That is little for the number of buildings in SD.
There are alot of companies that are missing on the list. My company is not even on the list, and it's the largest pharmaceutical too.
The Qualcomm number is pretty close I don't think they have 7,000 locally and that takes into considering the manufacturing line jobs they still have near ucsd. The one thing to remember is they are not like your typical tech company that puts most of the their employees in cubes. People are in offices though they may be shared that takes up way more space than cube farms common in the silicon valley.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:26 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Where are the major Northrop Grumman facilities? I did a google map search and noticed a cluster in the extreme north end near Rancho Bernardo. I would have thought the majority were in the military bases areas, or near the airport.

Maybe some facilities are more manufacturing, others are more engineering, still others are supply or warehouses? Hard to tell from google maps.

Here's what I am referring to:

"northrop grumman" near san diego - Google Maps

Any comments as to what programs are at what locations? For example, one req is for the Global Hawk program. Anyone know where that would be? Or, where the "Information Systems" sector locations and the "Aerospace Sector" locations would be?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:14 PM

21 posts, read 45,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where are the major Northrop Grumman facilities? I did a google map search and noticed a cluster in the extreme north end near Rancho Bernardo. I would have thought the majority were in the military bases areas, or near the airport.

Maybe some facilities are more manufacturing, others are more engineering, still others are supply or warehouses? Hard to tell from google maps.

Here's what I am referring to:

"northrop grumman" near san diego - Google Maps

Any comments as to what programs are at what locations? For example, one req is for the Global Hawk program. Anyone know where that would be? Or, where the "Information Systems" sector locations and the "Aerospace Sector" locations would be?
Charles,

Referring to your map, items B & E on your map I believe are the aerospace side of the house or Northrop Grumman. I have seen another Northrop Grumman logo near the airport, but I can't remember where. I saw it from the MTS Trolley (Blue Line). I believe it is also aerospace with a new contract, Predators or something like that. Not sure 100%, so don't talk my observation as true gospel.

There also is a naval side of the house. Used to be Contiental Maritime. C.M .was purchased by Norfolk Shipsyards (VA) about 4 to six years ago. Later Norfolk Shipyards, was in turn later aquired by Northrop Grumman, Inc.

Fleet maintenance for Northrop Grumman is located at 1995 Bay Front Street. Just a liile bit north of BAE and NASSCO. They have a few positions, but not sure here to fully advise prospective applicants

For those seeking employement another "major" hirer for the US Navy is Epsilon Systems Solutions. Very easy to find by "Googling" it. There are a moderate amount of positions available right now.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Charles,

Referring to your map, items B & E on your map I believe are the aerospace side of the house or Northrop Grumman. I have seen another Northrop Grumman logo near the airport, but I can't remember where. I saw it from the MTS Trolley (Blue Line). I believe it is also aerospace with a new contract, Predators or something like that. Not sure 100%, so don't talk my observation as true gospel.

There also is a naval side of the house. Used to be Contiental Maritime. C.M .was purchased by Norfolk Shipsyards (VA) about 4 to six years ago. Later Norfolk Shipyards, was in turn later aquired by Northrop Grumman, Inc.

Fleet maintenance for Northrop Grumman is located at 1995 Bay Front Street. Just a liile bit north of BAE and NASSCO. They have a few positions, but not sure here to fully advise prospective applicants

For those seeking employement another "major" hirer for the US Navy is Epsilon Systems Solutions. Very easy to find by "Googling" it. There are a moderate amount of positions available right now.
I keep reading "Rancho Bernardo" and Global Hawk but the NG reqs say "San Diego".

YouTube - Global Hawk

Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 AM

21 posts, read 45,737 times
Quote:
I keep reading "Rancho Bernardo" and Global Hawk but the NG reqs say "San Diego".

YouTube - Global Hawk
Charles,

You may be right. Like I stated Predators or Global Hawk something like that. Like I said, don't take my word as gospel. Thanks for the correction.

Seems like I read in SD Tribune about a contract for communications or the like, that was with Northrop Grumman too. Just can't remember.

Trying to locate individual facets of Northrop Grumman is a real pain in the rear. Try finding Contiential Maritime, using Northrop Grumman website. LOL! That is one of the reasons when I was employed there, that Northrop Grumman purchased the beautiful bride (Norfolk Shipyards), that we (C.M.) were the ugly chld that came with the bride!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Rancho Bernardo is a neighborhood of San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego