Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM

4 posts, read 27,856 times

Advertisements

I've done alot of research, as well as spent time there, and I really love it. Really considering moving there. Does anyone know the cost of living difference between DC and San D? I know it can't be an astronomical amount because believe me, DC is one of the most expensive areas in the country. I heard the COL is about 10% higher. Any ideas of where/websites I can get more specific info? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 12:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Yeah, are you planning to buy a house? Where do you want to live? Just to answer your question simply. I went to Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed and did a quick cost of living analysis based on an income of 80000. here is the data:

Washington, DC - San Diego, CA
Cost of Living Calculator
Our special Cost of Living feature lets you compare two cities side-by-side in all the categories you need, such as taxes, housing, food, and other costs. You can enter your salary and our built-in Salary Calculator will determine how much more (or less) you need to maintain your same standard of living.

To maintain the same standard of living, your salary of $80,000 in Washington, Washington DC should increase to $99,718 in San Diego, California. Stated another way, it's 24.6% more expensive to live in San Diego, California than Washington, Washington DC

Cost of Living Indexes Washington, Washington DC San Diego, California United States
Overall 141.6 177.1 100
Food 105.5 114 100
Housing 205.9 290.5 100
Utilities 94.7 125.9 100
Transportation 112.3 112.8 100
Health 111.5 129.6 100
Miscellaneous 104.3 104.1 100

I dont know your line of work, but to find a 25% pay increase to maintain the same quality of life would be pretty difficult depending on your field.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
I have considered moving to DC. Overall I think DC salaries and job opportunities are way, way better than San Diego's. RE is about on par with SD but you get a bit more house in DC than in SD, and access to better schools.

SD has the edge in terms of lifestyle, weather, outdoor activities, however.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:08 PM

Sassberto, thanks for the feedback. I discovered this blog (or whatever it's called) about two months ago and you give very good feedback. I agree SD has the edge, especially in the weather, although DC has some very pretty days in spring and fall. And BrittZ, thanks for the COL numbers. I think you are right in terms of SD having a 25% higher COL than DC. So now I weigh that against the beautiful weather and lifestyle. I absolutely LOVE the beach, and being within a 1/2 hr. of the beach would be awesome. I have thought about buying a condo in Ocean City, MD or Rehoboth Beach, DE, but there is not a whole lot happening there between Oct. - April. And I really need some sort of stimulating activity. Just being by the water, as much as I love it, isn't enough. And when I visited my aunt and uncle in San Marcos last April ('06 - they retired there in 2003), I just fell in love with the whole area from San Marcos to Carlsbad to Encinitas to San Diego. It's so pretty and lively, especially nearer to the coast. I could always try it for a year, and if I hated it, then come back east. My biggest concern is that I do love the seasons, and I know you don't get that in SD. But you also don't get bone-chilling cold. I know my cats would be happy! Ahhh, decisions, decisions!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:12 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecg31486 View Post
My biggest concern is that I do love the seasons, and I know you don't get that in SD.
But we do have 4 seasons like everywhere else, except you have to drive a bit to get there. The mountains east of here have colorful falls (NOTHING compared to New England), summer thunderstorms and snow during the winter.

My friend that lives in La Mesa (an eastern suburb) and works at a State Park in the mountains, has a short 37 mile commute. It's pretty cool that it could be snowing where he works, and that he never has to worry about shovelling snow from his own driveway.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:39 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,851,253 times
To put it in more basic terms, since I've been looking at real estate recently:

I live in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area, near Rancho Bernardo. Apartments in this area are about $1600-2500/month. Condos are about $350-450K right now, and the houses across the street from my apartment complex (1500 square feet, 3 bed/2 bath, but with golf course views) sell for anywhere from $650-800K.

V. =)

Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 PM

Thanks so much for the great feedback... keep it comin', please!

Old 05-11-2007, 12:14 AM

4,537 posts, read 12,398,619 times
Another advantage of SD over DC is that DC has HELLACIOUS allergy seasons. Compared to DC, SD is a walk in a sterilized, paved over park.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 30,021 times
its pricey so dont move here theres getting to be to many people and if you can aford it know just wait a couple of years then you will be a bum if people keep moving here i live in encinitas and so many people have moved in im just about homeless cause the prices are to high i mean i use everyone elses stuff just to communicate with you folks.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM

942 posts, read 1,391,648 times
Listen, if your living in DC you can afford to live in San Diego, Anyone that has lived in the DC metro area, knows how how the cost of living there is, whether they are in the city, Virginia or Maryland suburbs. Maybe your not getting some fancy house in SD or maybe you plan on renting, either or, both places are expensive, and your not exactly moving from Alabama to SD, you already know what paying your whole salary to live some place is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego