Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:03 PM

37 posts, read 133,364 times

Advertisements

When I used to live in SD in the late 1990's, I made roughly around $50K and had a tough time living here. It was much more expensive than living in Toronto (my current home) however, that is what it takes to live in Paradise, I suppose. There are a few good industries in San Diego at the time (Telecom, Bio-Med, Web Based) but the core engine of the city (Which was based on the military) was no longer there.

I miss SD and the weather, but I am much more happier living in Toronto, even though we have 4 seasons and many rainy days here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 202,861 times
I am hoping that the OP leads an expensive lifestyle, and is not able to adapt to having less to spend.
My wife and I are both in IT. I am a project manager, she is a software developer. Our combined income in Chicago is $200k. We can get by on less if we cut out some activities.
We are hoping to move to SD within the next couple of years to IMPROVE our standard of living.
Neither of us is particularly career oriented. We work to live.........and in the midwest, there is not much living to be done...at least not the kind of living we like.
So if the OP is having a hard time living on well over 6 figures.........I have to hope you simply have a very high standard of living.
Why don't you post your monthly budget on here? That will help us determine your reality. Also, tell us which neighborhood/area you live in. Living in Rancho Santa Fe is going to be a lot different from Santee in terms of expendable income.

It is like posters have said, there is a trade off for everything in life. You want great weather and environment, you may just have to shop at the Dollar store. Quite frankly, I don't care too much about having to make some trade offs.
The sun on your skin. Lovely beaches. The smell of the ocean. Mountains within an easy drive. Outdoor recreation areas aplenty. No snow shovelling. Having these things available to you every day are worth some trade off to many people.
We do not dine out as often as many people. We live in a very modest home. We drive modest cars. We do not splash out money on luxury items. All we would like is a clean, safe, quiet, and decent area, perhaps have a swimming pool and a nice garden and patio, 3 bed, 2 bath, modest home.
Surely that cannot be out of reach when one earns over 6 figures

Old 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2SOCAL View Post
We do not dine out as often as many people. We live in a very modest home. We drive modest cars. We do not splash out money on luxury items. All we would like is a clean, safe, quiet, and decent area, perhaps have a swimming pool and a nice garden and patio, 3 bed, 2 bath, modest home.
Surely that cannot be out of reach when one earns over 6 figures
Do you want good schools?

100k isn't gonna fly. 200k is a long way off from 100k

Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Do you want good schools?

100k isn't gonna fly. 200k is a long way off from 100k
We do not have children, so schools are not a priority for us. We do have two large dogs, which means that apartments and town homes without much garden area are out.
Our priorities, in no particular order, are: safe area, quiet/peaceful/tranquil, well looked after homes, reasonable commute (happy to drive or use public transport), garden and outdoor area with pool (we want to spend time outside in that lovely weather) and we need 3 beds and 2 baths at least.

We want to move for quality of life reasons, not quantity. We do not measure quality of life against material possessions, but rather against living a healthy, active, outdoor life. Cycling, rock climbing, camping, hiking, beach days, skydiving, flying, gardening, relaxing with friends........these are important to us. Not the size of our house or TV or cars.
Like I said before, we work to live, not the other way around. Unfortunately, right now it seems like we are living to work. We live in an environment that does not suit our desired lifestyle.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:57 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL2SOCAL View Post
We want to move for quality of life reasons, not quantity. We do not measure quality of life against material possessions, but rather against living a healthy, active, outdoor life. Cycling, rock climbing, camping, hiking, beach days, skydiving, flying, gardening, relaxing with friends........these are important to us. Not the size of our house or TV or cars.
Well, these are things people can do almost all year round. Interestingly enough there is a gliderport nearby for hangliding and paragliding, probably not so common where you are. Tons of trails and rock climbing, etc...

Old 09-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Well, these are things people can do almost all year round. Interestingly enough there is a gliderport nearby for hangliding and paragliding, probably not so common where you are. Tons of trails and rock climbing, etc...
LOL....not unless you jump off the barn roof!!!
The south west is just one big adventure zone. The midwest is sorely lacking in that department.
I look at the picture threads of SD and the IE, and I see people strolling on the beach, hiking in the hills etc. We want that.
To be fair, we do have some nice cycling paths that run near our home in Geneva. The Illinois Prairie Path runs for many miles and does have some nice sections along rivers and through nice forest preserves. It's not all doom and gloom in the midwest. Hell...I went to Cornfest the other day

Old 09-23-2008, 11:32 AM

812 posts, read 4,082,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT09 View Post
A local company simply pays what person X will accept.
...and therein lies the root of the problem. San Diego really does have a mentality among many people that they simply cannot leave because they love it here too much. The "island" like nature of the town, secluded on all sizes by something - mountains, border, camp Pendleton, ocean - is all part of the plan for San Diegans to keep San Diego the way it is. The simple unwillingness to be mobile from so many people changes many things on the side of the employer.

I understand what you mean about costs making no sense, because if you're coming from elsewhere, they won't, even though many people here have been here for so long they seem to have no sympathy for a shellshocked newcomer. What many of the folks that tell you to downsize don't appreciate is that it's not about materialism and debt, it's about consistent quality of means - the number next to your checking account doesn't really matter when you see that you could comfortably have X in other just-as-nice places and you can't seem to have the same here... especially when bigger, more expensive areas in CA don't have the same dichotomy.

Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,736,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post
...and therein lies the root of the problem. San Diego really does have a mentality among many people that they simply cannot leave because they love it here too much. The "island" like nature of the town, secluded on all sizes by something - mountains, border, camp Pendleton, ocean - is all part of the plan for San Diegans to keep San Diego the way it is. The simple unwillingness to be mobile from so many people changes many things on the side of the employer.

I understand what you mean about costs making no sense, because if you're coming from elsewhere, they won't, even though many people here have been here for so long they seem to have no sympathy for a shellshocked newcomer. What many of the folks that tell you to downsize don't appreciate is that it's not about materialism and debt, it's about consistent quality of means - the number next to your checking account doesn't really matter when you see that you could comfortably have X in other just-as-nice places and you can't seem to have the same here... especially when bigger, more expensive areas in CA don't have the same dichotomy.
That is pretty spot on. I'm fortunate to own a home in a great neighborhood, so I'm not going anywhere soon (no kids). I'm in the category of "I love it here too much...."

While in Houston recently, I remember saying to myself, "Man, my employer would have to pay me ALOT more money if they ever wanted me to relocate here".

Call me stupid, but in the end, it's what you described above. That is, I'm okay with earning less money here, instead of making more elsewhere. Lifestyle is very important to me.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Call me stupid, but in the end, it's what you described above. That is, I'm okay with earning less money here, instead of making more elsewhere. Lifestyle is very important to me.
I wouldn't call you stupid. But your lifestyle and mine are probably pretty different. You have no kids, and I'm guessing a second income as well. I have a kid and a wife who stays home. Your lifestyle makes sense given your income, mine... well... it's tougher to justify it just because of sunshine.

To me it's the difference between about 100k and 150k+ that really will make you or break you as a homeowner in San Diego, unless you have a ton of cash or equity already coming into the deal.

I had a conversation with some buddies at work. High-income, longtime homeowners. They truly believe that San Diego pays more than Dallas, Atlanta, or Houston. They don't seem to get that there's a world beyond.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-23-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 09-23-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande1n5 View Post

I was banned, so here goes- I started this thread.

I agree with the above and the facts suggest SD expense has nothing to do with it's weather or how ugly Texas is. SD simply has a bad job market for some(perhaps even most) occupations, skewed with much higher costs compared to other national cities.

There are even nicer beaches, and mountians in other states to boot. Who knoes what a FL beach does to SoCal?? Hint- Laguna Beach doesn't win.

But I am not trying to diss CA or SD. I do like the area, and am disapointed with the decisions people (older persons most likely)have made which mean the young up and comming will look to DC, Atlanta, SJ and Texas for the American Dream. "CA rest in peace"- RHCP

We're gone next month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego