Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 6,593 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I have been heavily involved in the process of researching and gathering information from various sources , pretty much getting my ducks in a row before pulling the plug from Tampa and relocating. I will be visiting the area from March 19-23rd, the primary areas of interest will be Northern San Diego, Oceanside, Fallbrook, Temecula, Carlsbad, ect. I'll be checking the place out during that week, in addition of researching apartments ect.

I am a very simple laid back guy in his late 20's who's well traveled both nationally and inter-nationally, and speak 3 languages fluently. I have been living in Tampa Bay for over 10 years and I feel I've outgrown the place as far as things to do, traffic, weather ect (humidity most importantly).. Main reason of choosing the area is becuase my best friend who Im moving with was raised there ( his parents) still live in Oceanside and he just wont' shut up about the weather, things to do ect. I am particularly not concerned with Real Estate since I've have rented my whole adult life, and will continue to do so until is time to settle with a family, until then, I will continue to rent.

At this time I dont' have many questions except some tips for a new comer , sort of things you wish you knew or had been prepared for prior to being there, things to take into consideration, things to avoid. Would you do it all over again if given the chance, ect ?

Your input is highly appreciated and see you all soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

85 posts, read 505,165 times
Just be aware if you are moving to escape Tampa traffic you will be in for a shock unfortunatly. I've been to Tampa about 8 times, I'd say SD is significantly worse. SD is also a lot more expensive, and the ocean water is like ice compared to that warm gulf water.

Other than that SD is a lot better, low humidity in general and better weather. We do get way more fog than Tampa though.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,593 times
Actually you bring in a good point, and I have to make some clarifications. I do enjoy the beaches but I do not bathe in the waters, heck I spent 1 year in Alaska back in 2004, and since then I havent' been to the beach since then. I brought traffic just mainly becuase of as of now I drive about 100 miles round trip, but is not a major make it or break it factor My main concerns is weather, and things to do to entertain myself in the area ( Im an avid mountain biker, and road biker as well). I also enjoy driving unfortunately Florida's scenery is fairly standard as you can tell ( you can drive for 4 hours and your scenery is the exact same).

Overall this area has become very dull to me, and I am ready for a change, most importantly I do not want to live in the middle of nowhere as peace and solitude isn't my cup of tea just yet. I can also agree that cost of living is going to be higher, but that is a price that all that reside there are willing to pay for their happiness in my opinion. I'm always have been a realist but most importantly being positive and embracing change, and opportunity with open arms.

How is the public transportation system ? What's the average price let's say for milk, eggs and other basics ?

Old 02-08-2007, 08:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
San Diego is a very beautiful city, and the same is said for the surrounding areas. The people have home feel moreso than Los Angeles, which is two hours north. There's illegal immigrants like you have never seen, but they won't bother you, they are looking for work. Illegal Immigrants do not have a higher criminal rate than Americans, they tend to be quite poor so they sometimes turn a nice area into a middle-poor area. There's a ton of older white folks who are retired from the huge Navy base in San Diego, including my deceased Grandfather who was a Navy Aircraft Commander in Vietnam. There's a lot of Caucasian families, and a decent sized African American population. Most of the crime in San Diego right Southeast of the Downtown area, and below that. The beaches are incredible, and if you are from Tampa the weather will blow you away. Our summers contain no humidity, inland is 95 while the beach is high 70's. There is hardly any rain, so if you enjoy rain, I would make other plans. Our landscape is not the dark green of Florida, but rather a brownish-yellow-light green image. The traffic is horendous on the North County section of the 15 Freeway and won't be improved for 5-10 more years with major Construction efforts. I listed Northern County traffic Congestion because I understood most of your cities are in the Northern Section of S.D. The 5 freeway moves perfectly smooth in the Northern County area. The city is gorgeous and quite safe, you could take a stroll at night. San Diego is expensive in 85% of itself. The city has a strong nightlife and is probably way more secular than Tampa. We have no bugs in the summer, and no mosquitoes except maybe a few inland. I hope that helps friend what your looking at. The Mexican Border is very close, only travel with other cars or with a shuttle bus, unless you want to be Gun-Ho Peter Pan and risk a corrupted Tijuana cop. San Diego is very beautiful, and the people love this city.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:41 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,414,906 times
Just to answer your question regarding everyday costs in San Diego vs. Fl.
San Diego if you can believe it is "less" expensive for fruits, vegetables, milk, meat & poultry. These items are your everday needs (or should be)
I now live on the SW Coast of Fl. too, but lived in San Diego for over 25 yrs.
Enjoy San Diego.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,465,842 times
Yeah, but the gas prices are ridiculously high, 15-20 cents more than Los Angeles, this being inside the city though, not sure about the County.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:51 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
5 Freeway is a parking lot every day from Del Mar Heights to Carlsbad.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:26 AM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
"pretty much getting my ducks in a row before pulling the plug from Tampa."

"What is the average price let's say for milk, eggs,...?"

"I do not bathe in the waters, heck I spent 1 year in Alaska back in 2004"

Last but not least; thread title: "Toodles to Tampa."

.... you seem to have interesting character. LOL (funny.)
Have you considered San Francisco? It is a very multicultural area with many things to do. The weather is mild compared to Florida(no humidity). Nice scenery as well. San Diegan's rarely speak other languages besides English or Spanish. Either city you can't go wrong.

Old 02-10-2007, 03:34 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
California has much more interesting terrain than Florida does -- everything from deserts to city to green mountains to rocky mountains to sandy mountains (all kinds of mountains!). The coastline is really varied too. I moved here after living in Florida for quite some time and the scenery most impressed me here. There are also tons of things to do -- all the beach things Florida offers plus all the winter things you would have to go to another state to enjoy (like snowboarding and snow skiing).

After you live here for awhile, you'll wonder how you ever put up with the humidity in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego