Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 08:56 PM

87 posts, read 379,177 times

Advertisements

I read a lot of people talking about how awful and boring the North County suburbs are. I have a family- don't want to live in Poway- so we are looking at Encinitas or Carlsbad which I understand to have good schools. I have learned a lot from all the postings. People keep mentioning how there are a lot of track home and gated communities. I am not really a gated community type person. From what I have seen on Realtor.com there are some nice houses that do not look like tract houses. It also appears that houses in Encinitas are more expensive than in Carlsbad. So I guess my question is... is it all just strip malls and traffic, and boring communitites like I keep seeming to read about?Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:04 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwiz View Post
I read a lot of people talking about how awful and boring the North County suburbs are. I have a family- don't want to live in Poway- so we are looking at Encinitas or Carlsbad which I understand to have good schools. I have learned a lot from all the postings. People keep mentioning how there are a lot of track home and gated communities. I am not really a gated community type person. From what I have seen on Realtor.com there are some nice houses that do not look like tract houses. It also appears that houses in Encinitas are more expensive than in Carlsbad. So I guess my question is... is it all just strip malls and traffic, and boring communitites like I keep seeming to read about?Thanks

It's a matter of personal opinion, I don't find the North County boring at all, but at the same time I don't move somewhere putting excitement as a #1 priority anyway. I also realize that if there are things I want to do that are down in San Diego city limits it's not like it's an extremely far drive for me to go down there from time to time. You can still enjoy the beauty of San Diego County without having to live right in the heart of it, and I feel North County is a great place to live.

You can find homes that are not tract homes, or in gated communities. You just have to search of course. Bottom line is your not going to find everything that San Diego offers in one North County city, but whether or not you will find it boring really depends on what things you and your family enjoy doing and what's most important to you in your place of residence.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
Encinitas-wise, you want to stay west (of Camino Real where all the strip malls are) to get the older housing stock, less gated, less track housing, less boring area. Closer to ocean perhaps more $, but older stock perhaps less $. Very pretty area. Traffic seems a bit congested up there, but may be worth the price of living in such a nice area, or not. There are trade-offs in all decisions. East Encinitas, you might as well be in Carmel Valley, RB, Poway and the like.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,482 times
I think as long as you don't stay too far from downtown SD or where ever there's alot of amenities like restaurants, eateries, shops, theaters, etc., then you should be fine. I am beginning to like Scripps Ranch ever since I got my bike and a bike rack. Riding in North County is alot of fun because there are plenty of bike lanes without too many cars on the streets. Also, I am close to Mira Mesa and Kearny Mesa where there are plenty of Asian food to be had.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:34 AM

77 posts, read 405,124 times
Quote:
Okay, okay. Mira Mesa is in North County Inland

1) Burb - Yes
2) Awful - Yes, probably the rundown homes/lawns, shopping cart mess, homeless and panhandlers mostly on the east/central side
3) Boring - Not really that boring for a family
4) Good Schools - A few passable ones
5) Tract Homes - Yes. Some on the West side
6) Gated Communities - No but there are community entrances to apts on West side
7) Expensive - Not really esp. on the older homes
8) Strip Malls - Yes
9) Traffic - Yes

See //www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...mira-mesa.html

I guess, it did meet most of the negatives that you found out.

I would rather go to Carlsbad than Encinitas probably. Legoland!

Last edited by Mira-Mesa-Resident; 09-25-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
Coastal North County is amazing and there are no tract homes. It's also mega $$$$

Inland North County is where the ticky tacky tracts are and the gated communities.

Stick to the coast (mostly west of 5) and you will find what you are looking for, Encinitas and Poway are a world apart.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 15,521 times
I love living in Carlsbad. True alot of our communities are planned developments, but the newer ones are less cookie cutter (the houses vary in paint/architectual style). In my development only a few houses look exactly alike. Carlsbad is very kid friendly...great schools, wonderful community spirit, beautiful natural environment, right down from the beach, very well run city. If you want more info about why I love living in Carlsbad check out my blog entry "A Shout Out to Carlsbad, My "New" Hometown" on my blog www.familyadventureguidebooks.com.

My community is not gated, nor are most of the others in Carlsbad.

I relocated from Santa Cruz California, the farthest thing from cookie cutter and we are really happy here despite it being a big transition. Quirkiness is fun, but there is something to be said for a functional, well run, kid oriented community.

If you want city life you can drive or take the coaster to enjoy all that San Diego has to offer.

-Bridget
Author, The Unauthorized Guide to Legoland California

P.S. I don't think you need to be west of the five to be happy here. Real Estate west of the 5 is expensive and being a short bike ride or drive to the beach works just fine. Almost everywhere you drive in Carlsbad, you get a view of the ocean.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:52 AM

87 posts, read 379,177 times
Thanks Bridget- I really appreciated your info and your blog. Very cool. Thanks to everyone else too!!!

Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 15,521 times
Quote:
Thanks Bridget- I really appreciated your info and your blog. Very cool. Thanks to everyone else too!!!
Pass the word on about my blog please.

Encinitas has top notch schools, I find the "main drag" of El Camino Real and Encinitas Blvd to be too congested for my taste, but it is also a nice community. Their library has an ocean view! Real Estate wise, I think you get more for your $ for Carlsbad if you are buying a high end house. If you are looking for an older, more affordable house Village Park in Encinitas is a great neighborhood, low HOA and community pool.

The Carlsbad Dove library is also pretty awesome. It has its own art gallery! The Cove development in South Carlsbad is in a great neighborhood, is not too too expensive by South Ca standards and has low HOA and a community pool.

-Bridget

Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 PM

83 posts, read 304,711 times
Actually I really dug Encinitas when I lived there. It's just not cheap.

I think the inland areas are what people are complaining about. The western areas are very relaxed, mellow and pretty unique.

You should pop out for a visit before moving, if at all possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego