Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 7,023 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I'm a 25 year old Brooklynite (NY of course) who is itching to move out west. I am too tired of these east coast winters. I, however, have no prospects of a job, nor do I know of any place to live. I admire those who have the get up and go mentality. I know I shouldn't just get up and appear in either cities, so i'm trying to do as much research as I can. I've done pro's and cons of both San Francisco and San Diego, but m still researchin'.

I have certain concerns : I am a young black/latina, coming from NYC diversity is huge for me. There have been many discussions on this but no clear cut answers.
Job market: What's up? I hear San Diego has more opportunities than San Francisco?
Transporation: Believe it or not, I don't have a drivers license. Living in downtown brooklyn, it wasn't really crucial to have one. I know I'll need one eventually, which is why I have a permit. I'm learning guys.... Anyway they say San Francisco has good transportation services, whereas San Diego is seriously lacking.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If it matters I've never been out to the west coast, but have backpacked to several Latin American countries, for about a year, so I'm pretty much adaptable to most environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 10:34 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,491,078 times
SF Bay Area has a better job market, better public transpo, and more cultural amenities. It's also much more dense and city-like than SD. It's brutally expensive (for both rent and for-sale housing)

SD has the killer weather, is plenty diverse (almost all of CA is racially / ethnically diverse) but has a weaker job market with lower salaries. However housing costs (especially rents) are lower than SF.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 PM

398 posts, read 1,332,077 times
Consider more than just SF..Look at the whole Bay Area.It's very diverse.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 PM

858 posts, read 2,237,505 times
Yes, you sound like you would fit better in SF/Bay Area. It's more diverse up there with tons of jobs and pretty good public transportation. Don't worry about the gloomy weather up there, if you go into East Bay (Oakland, Berkeley, etc.), you will get more sun.

I wouldn't go to SD unless I have a job lined up for me. SD is getting there, but it will take time.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:20 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,536 times
What sassberto said.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:50 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,745,377 times
Ditto to what everyone has said so far.

That said, if you're looking for an easy transition, then SF is for you. On the other hand, if you are looking for a change of pace, then SD is it.

Since you don't drive, I personally think you should consider SF first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego