Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 17,987 times

Advertisements

I am a 28 year old professional female who will be relocating to San Diego for a job. I will work near the Balboa Ave/Genesee Ave intersection (is this Clairemont?). What areas would be good for me to live in?

I am willing to pay up to $1600 a month for a 1 bed apt. I have a dog so I would like to be in an area that is near parks or trails. I would like my commute to be 30 mins or less. I don't want to be in a college student area with lots of parties all night long but I also don't want to be in suburbia with nothing going on.

Basically I'm looking for a nice, safe area that is quiet but not boring as I am willing to drive into downtown for the nightlife and then leave it behind for some peace and quiet. The areas I have looked at are La Jolla, Scripps Ranch, and Tierrasanta. Any others I should consider and do the ones I am looking at sound good for my lifestyle? Thanks for your help in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 01:01 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
Look at the Bay Park (aka "Bay Ho") area of Clairemont. It's close to your job, Mission Bay, and the beaches of M.B. and P.B. while remaining quiet.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Yep.Bay Park.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:34 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
That area you work in is nice too, plus there are trails at the bottom of the 52 and down the street by Mesa College. Fiesta Island is also close by, it's all dog park.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:41 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Others have give great suggestions so far, especially Bay Park.

I would also suggest UTC (University Town Center). There are a lot of young professionals and college kids in the area. BUT they are UCSD college kids, not SD State kids and generally are quiet and don't party much. I went to UCSD and lived in UTC for 2 years, it's nothing like PB or College Area when it comes to parties and rowdiness. The area is fairly quiet but still has stuff going on. There is a regional mall and several shopping centers in the area. It borders Rose Canyon, which is great for hiking through and is near Torrey Pines State Park and several smaller pocket parts in and around the neighborhood. I think UTC is a good compromise between the PB party atmosphere and mind numbing suburbia.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:06 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
The intersection of Balboa and Genesee has several apartment complexes in the immediate area. Yes this is called Clairemont.

There are a few apt complexes along Genesee, just south of B&G, and a few behind the Target / Home Depot / DMV at B&G.

There are also lots of condo complexes in the area, and condo owners sometimes rent them. You can easily find a 1 BR/1BA for $1600 or less.

Avoid anything in Clairemont along Beadnell Ave, which is 1 street north of Balboa. It has a somewhat seedy feel to it.

I would suggest that if you ever see lots of "beat up" cars in an area, it's probably an area to avoid.

There are lots of apartments along Clairemont Mesa Blvd (around 1 mile from B&G), but I'm not too crazy about that area myself. It's ok to shop there, I just don't think I'd want to live there.

Down at the base of Clairemont Drive near Mission Bay, you'll find lots of apartments. It's right near Mission Bay, which is a great place for recreation. You can walk your dog at Mission Bay, but only during certain hours at different times of the year. I believe you can walk dogs at Fiesta Island in Mission Bay all year round.

You may also want to take your dog to Dog Beach which is at the north end of Ocean Beach. Dogs can run free and play in the ocean together.

There is also another dog park in Balboa Park.

Outside of Clairemont, UTC has newer apartment complexes. So does Mission Valley, which is also just a short drive from Clairemont. Mission Valley has lots of upscale shopping centers, with stores like Bloomingdales and Nordstrom.

Personally, I like the Clairemont area at B&G because it has lots of restaurants and shopping. So you will have no trouble finding places to eat during your lunch break. I can recommend a few very good places.

Tecolote Canyon runs through Clairemont, and there is a hiking trail along Boyd Ave where you can walk your dog. Another Tecolote Canyon area with trails is at Mt. Brundage Ave, a few blocks from B&G. There are probably lots of other entrances to the Canyon as well.

The shopping area at Balboa & Genesee is being renovated, so you may see new stores pop up over the next few years. It's a nice area right now, but they are adding new stores, and other improvements. The old Target store at B&G was knocked down earlier this year and completely rebuilt. It just re-opened last week. It is much larger and has a larger food section.

You probably won't find much nightlife in Clairemont. It is more of a family type residential area. For nightlife, you can drive downtown to the Gas Lamp, Little Italy, Hillcrest, and a few other sections.

I think you will definitely like San Diego. It's a great place to live

You might want to check San Diego Craiglist under their housing section. It will give you an idea of the prices of rentals all over San Diego.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:57 AM

193 posts, read 1,143,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shughes23 View Post
I am a 28 year old professional female who will be relocating to San Diego for a job. I will work near the Balboa Ave/Genesee Ave intersection (is this Clairemont?). What areas would be good for me to live in?

Hi.. just wanted to ask you what field you're in and how you got the job? I'm currently looking for a job in SD as well and could use some tips! thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: