U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 02:56 PM

38 posts, read 120,783 times

Advertisements

San Diego is one of our options for a potential job transfer. We have been to S.D. many times but just to visit. The job is in Downtown S.D. Don't want a big commute. We have two children ages 5 and 6. Schools are a big concern. Friends just moved to Solana Beach and love it. We are moving from Az and will be renting our house out and looking for a rental in S.D. We eventually will sell our house in Az then buy in the S.D. area. We don't want our kids to have to move schools too many times so we are looking to rent in an area we can also afford to buy. Can anyone help with average rental prices and Median home prices in family neighborhoods with good schools. Home size at least 3 bedroom 2 bath at least 1700 squ. ft.
We may go Catholic School route as our kids are at a Catholic school now.

All comments are welcome

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:55 PM

812 posts, read 3,922,259 times
Solana beach, since you mentioned it, is really great, but expensive and isn't the nicest of commutes to downtown.

If you're thinking about Catholic schools like you said, it may work out well for you, as you can stay close to downtown and have a good commute, and also find neighborhoods for a variety of budgets both for renting and later owning. Plus, you won't have to worry about moving around later down the road as you said, since Catholic high schools are right in the city (St. Augustine for boys and Our Lady of Peace for girls).

Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Thanks,
Could you name some other cities?? How is Carlsbad and how far is it from downtown??

Old 10-13-2008, 01:31 PM

18,523 posts, read 30,552,112 times
If you're working downtown I really would try to not live farther north than Del Mar/Solana Beach. Carlsbad is a little far north and there is a lot of traffic on I-5 from Carlsbad to Del Mar. I'd also check out University City, Scripps Ranch, and Carmel Valley, Pt Loma, Eastlake/Chula Vista.

You can check out schools based on API scores at this site: California School Performance Maps

Old 10-13-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks Sav,
I have heard good things about University City and Carmel Valley. I will look into those cities and see how family oriented they are.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:43 PM

895 posts, read 4,134,746 times
I'm not terribly familiar with many of the areas mentioned as we've just recently moved here but I will tell you that when it comes to family-oriented--Carmel Valley and Scripps Ranch definitely fit the bill. It was a little too family-friendly for us! Del Mar Unified and Poway are both excellent school districts!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Great....Thanks for the input 5FLgirls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego