U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2008, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,725 times

Advertisements

I would soon be moving with my spouse and my 4 year old daughter to the Bay area, California. My monthly paycheck after taxes will be USD 3000. Kindly let me know if I would be able to survive with this salary with a decent standard of living. I am planning to stay close to San Jose and a 1BR would be fine with me. I am an occupational therapist and any idea if the current financial crisis will have any impact on my job and my living there?

An immediate response will be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 06:40 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,744,265 times
Snam, I'm going to ask the moderator to move this to the California/San Francisco forum for you. You'll have much better luck there. Good wishes to you and your family.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 AM

8 posts, read 25,337 times
Cool Don't do it!!! Please!

My husband and I did the same thing, except for he was making $4,000 per month after taxes. Let me tell you this, it's a completely different world from So. Cal, the people are so different, most are not from the U.S., I don't have a problem with that. I am mexican and I was the minority in my area. I lived in Union City near Fremont and Hayward. My husband worked in Milpitas (San Jose area). But most importantly everyone up there gets laid off or they know someone who's gotten laid off. My husband was on a 2 year contract and the company went down hill before his 2 year contract, he was laid off. I became an Esthetician up there and I was laid off also. Because of your job field it might be a different story. Oh yeah, it rain's all the freakin time...I hated that. The ocean is Waaayyy to cold to go swimming. To make a long story short we had to go through all the hassle of moving back, he makes way less money here in SD, but we are happier now. If you are going to be the only one working and making $3,000 per mo, NO it's not enough $ for the bay area. The gas is about .30-.40 cents per gallon more for Regular gas. Groceries are more. Taxes were 8.75%, that's a lot more. Rent is out of control. I paid $120 more a month for a 1 bedroom, than what I'm paying now for a 2 bedroom.

If you are really wanting to do it, than do it. Trust me you will want to comeback to SD, and you will always be comparing it to So Cal, IT's NOT the same thing. Please, please do a lot of research.

Oh yeah people are nice there, but they have the mentality, that Northern Cali is better.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 665,356 times
Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtee_kittee View Post
My husband and I did the same thing, except for he was making $4,000 per month after taxes. Let me tell you this, it's a completely different world from So. Cal, the people are so different, most are not from the U.S., I don't have a problem with that. I am mexican and I was the minority in my area. I lived in Union City near Fremont and Hayward. My husband worked in Milpitas (San Jose area). But most importantly everyone up there gets laid off or they know someone who's gotten laid off. My husband was on a 2 year contract and the company went down hill before his 2 year contract, he was laid off. I became an Esthetician up there and I was laid off also. Because of your job field it might be a different story. Oh yeah, it rain's all the freakin time...I hated that. The ocean is Waaayyy to cold to go swimming. To make a long story short we had to go through all the hassle of moving back, he makes way less money here in SD, but we are happier now. If you are going to be the only one working and making $3,000 per mo, NO it's not enough $ for the bay area. The gas is about .30-.40 cents per gallon more for Regular gas. Groceries are more. Taxes were 8.75%, that's a lot more. Rent is out of control. I paid $120 more a month for a 1 bedroom, than what I'm paying now for a 2 bedroom.

If you are really wanting to do it, than do it. Trust me you will want to comeback to SD, and you will always be comparing it to So Cal, IT's NOT the same thing. Please, please do a lot of research.

Oh yeah people are nice there, but they have the mentality, that Northern Cali is better.

Good luck to you!
I moved to San Jose 2 1/2 years ago from So Cal and I HATE HATE HATE it here. It is like another country where you will never fit in NEVER. No one talks to "others" here they won't even say hello in passing. I live in the East Side that is the ghetto and it feels like MEXICO. There is nothing worth coming here for NOTHING. I am counting down the days till I get things paid off and money more secure to get the hell out this place. Yes, everything is more expensive and there isn't much to do out here. Most people here never leave San Jose and they get all dressed up for a Friday night out shopping at the local mall. Everyday I dread waking up and being here. I wish I could describe it better, but naughtee_kittee did a pretty good job and to sum it all up you will feel very out of place and segregated here with no out lets or people with similar interest.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 PM

38 posts, read 118,274 times
Wow!! Lots of negativity about the Bay Area. I love it and miss it so much. There is lots to do with very friendly people, if you are living in the right areas. The penninsula is the best place to live in my opinion. Anywhere from Burlingame up to Los Altos. Lots to do with a lot of history and culture. The restaruants are to die for you will not find better restuarants anywhere else in the US expect maybe New York.
I am not living in S.D. right now, but my husband maybe transfered to the S.F. or S.D. So this is what brought me to this board.
I love both places, but S.F. has a different feel. Now the So. Bay San Jose area is a totally different story. If you move there move to the Pennisula. Great place, great people, great food, lots of things to do, lots of hiking, biking, wind surfing, museums, parks, you will love it if you are living in the right place.
One problem with pennisula is it is expensive. Look into in. Check out Craig's list for rentals. Check for rentals in these cities: San Bruno, Millbrae, Burlinlgame, San Mateo, Redwood City, and Palo Alto. San Francisco is also a great fun place to live.
Good Luck. Go on to the Bay Area Discussion. You will find many who love it.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 PM

65 posts, read 171,973 times
why so negative? Hum! I grew up in San Francisco and there are much to do but the weather is the only factor. Yes it does rain alot in SF and the Bay and when its not raining its still cold in the 60's maybe 70's so you need to consider the weather for sure. If your moving down south like San Jose than the weather is much better. Some what like SD but does get cold at night (50's) Rains about 30% more compare to SoCal but that has always been a given. People are people so depends on where you go and do. I'm currently in SD and have been here for close to 2yr now but moving back up north soon. SD is a nice place and the weather is very nice. Other than the beach there is nothing really to do here. Food here is a joke and yes been everywhere sense I only cook about 10% of the time. Some of the people here are nice and others are you know what. Its like that everywhere and guess depends on you as much as the others you pass by. Thats life so deal with it!
Overall SD is a nice place to visit but not live at least not for me.
I think most if not all Socal people ends up moving back to Socal because of the weather. If I were to stay in SoCal I would most likely move to LA or OC. Better food and more things to do compare to SD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego