Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moved from DC to San Diego, seeking to move to new area with nice weather, open-minded people, young professionals, culturally diverse, less freaks with tattoos

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime25 View Post
I'm not going to completely give up on San Diego yet. I put so much energy into moving here and had such high expectations. I guess a little too high...

However, I fear that as far as living a single, 20s-30s young professional lifestyle with many smart, diverse, successful friends, might not be achievable here. It seems either very family oriented or very undergrad college party oriented. The middle-aged single population just is lacking. I assume it could be due to the lack of job opportunity here compared to other major cities that attrach young single professionals.

So again I ask, to any of those who have lived in either LA or the Bay Area, do you think either of these cities would be better for what I'm looking for? Or is there a place in San Diego that I just keep missing? (I live in Cortez Hill) This little description of the Marina District in San Fran pretty much sums up exactly what I am looking for in California, plus the weather and outdoor activities of coarse ;-)

"Today the apartment buildings, shops and restaurants seem to be bursting at their seams with beautiful, young and fit 20- and 30-somethings. The singles scene is hopping on Friday and Saturday nights, with lots of fresh-faced postgrads with cocktails in one hand and cell phones in the other. Union is arguably the best street in the city to window-shop the hours away on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and, a few blocks down, Chestnut has an incredible variety of high-quality restaurants catering to every palate."

I'd really like to stay in cali if possible. I just can't seem to give up that California dream....
I also experience what you been observing, the lack of single professionals in the 20s and 30s. It is the lack of job opportunities in SD is the reason. I work for a large corporation and I feel out of place.

Since you still want to stay in California, just take trips to LA and SF a couple days each city. It's not so far away. You will be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:23 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,740,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post
I also experience what you been observing, the lack of single professionals in the 20s and 30s. It is the lack of job opportunities in SD is the reason. I work for a large corporation and I feel out of place.

Since you still want to stay in California, just take trips to LA and SF a couple days each city. It's not so far away. You will be surprised.
Well, of course you going to find more single professionals in SF and LA, those metros have 7 million and 13 million people, respectively. Don't forget that there are less than 3 million people living here.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:06 AM

130 posts, read 447,043 times
Quote:
I'm not going to completely give up on San Diego yet. I put so much energy into moving here and had such high expectations. I guess a little too high...

However, I fear that as far as living a single, 20s-30s young professional lifestyle with many smart, diverse, successful friends, might not be achievable here. It seems either very family oriented or very undergrad college party oriented. The middle-aged single population just is lacking. I assume it could be due to the lack of job opportunity here compared to other major cities that attrach young single professionals.

So again I ask, to any of those who have lived in either LA or the Bay Area, do you think either of these cities would be better for what I'm looking for? Or is there a place in San Diego that I just keep missing? (I live in Cortez Hill) This little description of the Marina District in San Fran pretty much sums up exactly what I am looking for in California, plus the weather and outdoor activities of coarse ;-)

"Today the apartment buildings, shops and restaurants seem to be bursting at their seams with beautiful, young and fit 20- and 30-somethings. The singles scene is hopping on Friday and Saturday nights, with lots of fresh-faced postgrads with cocktails in one hand and cell phones in the other. Union is arguably the best street in the city to window-shop the hours away on a sunny Saturday afternoon, and, a few blocks down, Chestnut has an incredible variety of high-quality restaurants catering to every palate."

I'd really like to stay in cali if possible. I just can't seem to give up that California dream....
I hear what you're saying. I agree with another poster's suggestion of getting out and getting involved in your community. Where do your interests lie? You should be able to find things in San Diego, but they won't be staring you in the face at the "traditional" 20-somethings hangouts here.

These are some of the things I have enjoyed (and where I have met (or gone with) interesting people) while living in San Diego in my 20s/30s:

Film festivals and music events here: MCASD - Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego

Peoples (oranic) food coop in Ocean Beach. Although it's vegan, I enjoy it and I'm NOT a vegetarian. They have prepared food upstairs and live (mellow) music sometimes on the weekends. My girlfriends & I meet here to share yummy healthy food and good conversation. OB People's Food Store

Organization that is small and laid back, but interested in doing good things. I met one of the members through grad school. Their meetings alternate between "work" meetings and more "social" meetings. Girls Think Tank

Have met some very nice and interesting individuals with this group: 20s & 30s Single Sierrans, San Diego Chapter, Sierra Club

Took a couple of kayak classes here, and met people from all over the county. Mission Bay Aquatic Center Homepage

Surfrider Foundation, San Diego Chapter

Triathlon Club of San Diego

There are a variety of events--local fund raisers, film events, etc. that I have enjoyed tremendously. But, I have never really been one for going out to the bars. I believe the art museums in Balboa Park have some sort of monthly (or every-so-often) cocktail type event, so you might check that out as well.

Even though you're not overly impressed with the universities here, you might look at some of the events they have to offer. San Diego State tends to be less "research-academic" in nature and more "community involvement" oriented, but they have had some really interesting film festivals/book readings, etc. I have even traveled all the way up to Pomona for a Women's Leadership Conference & had good experiences there.

The interesting job opportunities... now that's another story. I am personally working on creating my own, and have no idea if I'll be successful.

Best of luck to you! (And if you find the 'magic place' let me know!!)

Old 10-24-2008, 12:12 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:

I really suggest looking into the Bay Area, it will give you that liberal intellectual vibe you are looking for. Sometimes a little too much, some people there can get somewhat full of themselves but overall its a great place to live and the people are pretty cool.

The Marina District is full of yuppie transplants, all of my friends that have lived in the city can't stand the Marina District. It's definitely a "scene" there, not one I care for but if that's your thing then go for it. I think the East Bay is more down to earth than the western side of the Bay Area (SF, Marin, and San Mateo Counties). Oakland and Berkeley are great areas to live in, Although Berkeley is REALLY liberal and out there, but some people love that.

The weather in the East Bay is better than SF too, not quite as cool and foggy.

If you find you just can't make San Diego work then give the Bay Area a shot. Sd is great but not for everyone and some people do prefer the scene/vibe in the Bay Area over what we have here. I love em both though..

Old 10-24-2008, 10:46 PM

65 posts, read 184,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubringliten View Post

Agree, take a trip to LA or to the Bay. Never lived in LA so can't say much but there are more jobs in and around LA. I think the Bay fits what you are looking for. You will find many 20's to 30's anywhere in the Bay. As someone might of said, it does get cold in SF and rains more than you might like. Look around San Jose as the weather is much much better close to that of SoCal weather but does still rain just not as much. San Jose to SF is about 50 miles away so you can always drive to SF to party, eat and do whatever you feel like doing.
Being in SD for almost 2yr I don't care for what it has to offer which is very little. I think for the most part students come for their education and leave once they are done.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,140 times
Hi there, I am new to San Diego and feel the same thing as well...not sure if you are still in the area, would love to hear from you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego