U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,814,097 times

Advertisements

I love the city of San Diego, and I have been contemplating moving there for quite sometime, but today the US Govenment Travel Advisory, issued an ALERT for all Americans considering traveling to Mexico, and cities near the Mexican Border, due to the increase in violence, kidnappings, and killings. These issues are foremost in my mind considering that San Diego is only steps away from Tijuana, one of the cities mentioned in the travel alert. I would like to hear from people who live in San Diego about their feelings regarding this situation. If all the thousands of policemen stationed in Juarez, near El Paso, Texas, and Tijuana, have not been able to stop the violence, how can the average San Diego resident feel safe? Your kind consideration to this matter is greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance,
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:13 PM

203 posts, read 682,793 times
The average SD resident is not scared if they don't go to TJ. A lot of the violence is directed against members of the competing drug cartels. Some will also tell you that if you go down to TJ stay in the tourist areas and you'll be fine. I just choose to not go over the border.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:21 AM

4,438 posts, read 11,773,612 times
The most significant impact the border and Tijuana have on San Diego crime is the prevalence of car thefts, particularly Japanese models. Otherwise, TJ is like Las Vegas, what happens in TJ, stays in TJ... mostly.

If Tijuana style crime starts creeping further over the border, like the recent Las Vegas child kidnapping, and a La Jolla home invasion robbery which happened about 1-2 years ago, San Diego would go ballistic for about the only time in its history and demand a major re-ordering in our policing policies.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 AM

18,513 posts, read 30,492,306 times
Most people think being on the border would automatically to equate to San Diego and other border cities being crime ridden and having tons of problems, but that is just not the case. Two of the safest large cities in America are San Diego and El Paso, TX. El Paso has a very low crime rate for a city of its size despite being across the border from a very violent city and San Diego is the same way.

I honestly think TJ helps confine some crime that might occur here to south of the border. Why do some of the illegal activities in SD when you can just do them in TJ and pretty much get away with it? I'm not saying that is a good thing, but just kind of how I see it. I think people do illicit things in TJ instead of SD basically b/c its there and you can. As another poster said, what happens in TJ STAYS in TJ.

I really would not worry about the border situation, especially if you don't live within 5 miles of it. Anywhere north of the I-8 Freeway and you don't even have to think about the border. It's not something that anyone I know worries about at all. Most people in SD that get into trouble with the crap that goes in in TJ is somehow related to the game some way or another most times. As long as you don't have drug ties to Mexico or own a profitable business in TJ then you are fine.

San Diego is a very safe city and you are just as safe here as middle America.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM

9,350 posts, read 29,136,442 times
You don't have to worry about TJ's crime problems in San Diego. That said there is a huge amount of crime tied to the drug trade. Almost every time you read about home invasion robberies in San Diego, it is tied to drugs. There are a lot of people throughout the city with ties to that business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego