Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times

Advertisements

I took a drive up to Julian this weekend. Once you get north of Miramar you start to see "yes on 8" signs. In Ramona, they are everywhere.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:49 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
If you don't want to live in conservative San Diego then stay south of the 56 freeway and away from East County, it's as pretty simple as that.

but overall the county is very moderate and has about an even amount of registered democrats and republicans now. The city of SD has more democrats than republicans. Overall it's a very moderate county and whether or not it's too conservative for you depends how tolerant, open minded, and partisan you are. This place isn't as conservative as some people try to make it out to be.

I'm an independent but generally vote democrat more times than not, as I will with this election for the most part.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you don't want to live in conservative San Diego then stay south of the 56 freeway and away from East County, it's as pretty simple as that.

but overall the county is very moderate and has about an even amount of registered democrats and republicans now. The city of SD has more democrats than republicans. Overall it's a very moderate county and whether or not it's too conservative for you depends how tolerant, open minded, and partisan you are. This place isn't as conservative as some people try to make it out to be.

I'm an independent but generally vote democrat more times than not, as I will with this election for the most part.
It's my understanding that the city of San Diego itself is moderate to liberal but the conservative suburbs tilt it back the other way. Duncan Hunter is your House Rep, isn't he? According to Wikipedia he tends to win by big margins. Is there another Rep for the San Diego area? Because Hunter seems to represent east county and I'm having trouble finding represents the rest of San Diego in Congress.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
It's my understanding that the city of San Diego itself is moderate to liberal but the conservative suburbs tilt it back the other way. Duncan Hunter is your House Rep, isn't he? According to Wikipedia he tends to win by big margins. Is there another Rep for the San Diego area? Because Hunter seems to represent east county and I'm having trouble finding represents the rest of San Diego in Congress.
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The city leans moderately left but the northern and eastern suburbs swing it right most elections.

Issa, Bilbray, Hunter, Filner, and Davis are SD's 5 representatives. The first 3 are republicans and the last 2 are democrats.

One thing I did like recently about our reps is that 4 out of 5 voted against the bailout.

Hunter is east county, which is very conservative and somewhat redneck.

According to a map and my zipcode it says I live in the 53rd but my candidates on the ballot for my precinct are for the 50th, so I guess I live in the 50th even though everything else shows I don't.

SD's districts are 49-53 and you can see who reps what here: California's congressional districts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm from the Bay Area and I kind of like how its moderate here. I wish is was a little more progressive but I don't want it to be as liberal as the Bay Area. For me at least, the conservative politics down here can get on my nerves sometimes but at the same time the liberal politics of the Bay Area can get on my nerves too. It's not as conservative as the Bay Area is liberal, that's for sure.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:34 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,207,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The city leans moderately left but the northern and eastern suburbs swing it right most elections.

Issa, Bilbray, Hunter, Filner, and Davis are SD's 5 representatives. The first 3 are republicans and the last 2 are democrats.

One thing I did like recently about our reps is that 4 out of 5 voted against the bailout.

Hunter is east county, which is very conservative and somewhat redneck.

According to a map and my zipcode it says I live in the 53rd but my candidates on the ballot for my precinct are for the 50th, so I guess I live in the 50th even though everything else shows I don't.

SD's districts are 49-53 and you can see who reps what here: California's congressional districts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm from the Bay Area and I kind of like how its moderate here. I wish is was a little more progressive but I don't want it to be as liberal as the Bay Area. For me at least, the conservative politics down here can get on my nerves sometimes but at the same time the liberal politics of the Bay Area can get on my nerves too. It's not as conservative as the Bay Area is liberal, that's for sure.
Yikes, if San Diego was as conservative as San Francisco is liberal I would refuse to move there, lol. I do like some moderate views but I'm annoyed by how much Yes on 8 money came out of San Diego. I think San Diego, especially living in the city itself, would feel pretty moderate to me but I'd probably get frustrated if I moved to the suburbs and saw all the Republican yard signs all the time.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:58 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,928,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I took a drive up to Julian this weekend. Once you get north of Miramar you start to see "yes on 8" signs. In Ramona, they are everywhere.
Didn't see you in Julian on Saturday, but I noticed this as well as this is both daddy and junior Duncan Hunter country. What ya do there in Julian? My second and last time there as not too exciting - some apple picking, some apple pie, some lake cuyamaca....

Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 PM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,411,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney Mcgee View Post
I was raised in San Diego, but have lived my adult life in Portland, OR. Its hippy-heaven up here. I am moving to San Diego this summer for work and to be closer to my family. I remember being materialistic as a kid, but have outgrown that kind of lifestyle in Portland. In other words, I don't care what kind of car a person drives, where he is from or who he hangs out with. I am strongly democratic and was wondering if I would be a fish out of water in my hometown.

PS. Who is everyone voting for?

I'm a conservative guy and we lived in East Chula Vista and found the area to be very non descriptive as far as politics. I found it refreshing myself compared to other areas in the country I've lived.

Now when traveling around different areas of San Diego I've run into some areas that seemed more Liberal and some that seemed more Conservative but still laid back. Which is something your wouldn't' see on the East Coast.

I know that Coronado is suppose to be quite conservative , but I found visiting Coronado to be surprisingly very "laid" back which again I found refreshing. I'm a conservative person , but not a country club conservative. I really can't tell a country club conservative from a country club liberal....there both snobbish for the most part (not everyone of course, but the majority IMO).

My wife is Navy and her work has (unfortunately) brought us back the the Washington , DC area which is where I'm from originally. Now I'm truly a fish out of water in this area as far as politics. Almost all my neighbors have Obama signs in there yards.

But the reason I dislike this area is not because of my liberal neighbors , I think it makes for interesting conversations at times. But most of the time the community just wants to go on with it day to day tasks that doesn't care what political ilk you are.

Oh...the main reason we dislike this area now is because of the amount of "Violet" crime here...its ridiculous. It doesn't matter how great your neighborhood is it seems, the violent criminals seem to strike anywhere. We live in a very nice somewhat affluent neighborhood and people here are having to worry about home invasions and rapist...not a good place to raise kids anymore and it's a shame.

My wife and I miss San Diego very much and the safety we felt while living there. I envy you for being able to go home again. If I were you I wouldn't worry about feeling like a fish out of water if you move back home. Just be yourself and you should be ok.

Oh yeah....McCain / Palin all the way !!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:15 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,368 times
Conservative voters here!

Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Conservative voters here!
Good for you, it looks like you, Bunky, and myself are some of the few San Diego conservatives on City Data.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 25,147 times
Default Congress in San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Susan Davis represents a lot of San Diego and so does Bob Filner, both Democrats. Brian Bilbray covers Oceanside and Escondido - he a Repub. You can google their names to see their districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego