Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:51 PM

443 posts, read 2,135,061 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is getting orders to Camp Pendleton. Can anyone please help with good areas to live near the base? Is Oceanside ok? We don't know if we should rent/buy or live on base housing. The BAH there ( what the military pays you per month for rent) is 2k a month. We briefly looked at houses online and since prices have gone down so much we were maybe thinking of buying but again that is where we need the help. What are the good elementry schools around the area as well....

Thanks so much for any help given!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 16,433 times
Default Places to live near Camp Pendleton

Hi: I live in Fallbrook (right at the back gate of the Naval Weapons Station--great place). Can't answer your question about schools (we have horses, not kids ). Small town atmosphere, cute little historic main street district. Been here 14 years and I still think it's great. Can get to the beach in about 20-25 minutes.
Kat

Old 10-28-2008, 01:28 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Carlsbad for schools. Shall I go off on Vista Unified or would someone else like to chime in?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Carlsbad for schools. Shall I go off on Vista Unified or would someone else like to chime in?

No, please go off all you want. It really helps me out on opinions of the different school districts...

Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
I don't live there, but have friends in the USMC. I'd say avoid Oceanside. Get further out. Fallbrook was mentioned. Murrieta, Temecula.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,295 times
I used to live in Fallbrook- very quaint and beautiful, but the public elementary schools are awful. I also lived in Oceanside, which has nice pockets, and not-so-nice pockets. Carlsbad would be a great place....closer to SD, close to the beach, close to work (with a reverse commute!), great weather with good schools. Would be my pick for sure. That's my $0.02!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
Quote:
No, please go off all you want. It really helps me out on opinions of the different school districts...
OK, I've been in the education field for a number of years and kicked around a variety of districts and thought I'd seen it all, but apparently not. Let me say that without any equivocation that that district has the greatest number of absolutely corrupt scumbags among their administration than can be found anywhere. It just gets worse, as they drive away the caring and competent administrators and continue to place incompetent and dangerous ones in their place.
Look for headlines one day. It won't be the NC Times that breaks the news (they know, but don't report), but some day the truth will come out.
There are some fine, dedicated teachers there, but they put up with a ton of crap.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:50 PM

203 posts, read 712,641 times
If you choose Oceanside, look into the Rancho Del Oro area. I work in the area and have friends who live there. I think it is the best area in Oceanside. Most of the bad areas are near the coast and the downtown area.

Fallbrook is nice but HOT. Other areas could be Shadowbrook subdivision in Vista.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:47 PM

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. Carlsbad does seem to have really great schools. I am going to look into them!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 AM

I have a question. How about homes that are actually in Oceanside but are in the Carlsbad school distrcit. They seem to be a bit more affordable. Can anyone help direct me to these area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego