Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 05:07 AM

17 posts, read 50,437 times

Advertisements

Any opinions about the Florence or Grant elementary schools? I see that they are rated fairly high in the comparison charts. Anyone have direct experience with their kids going there? What are the pros and cons? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 02:39 PM

490 posts, read 1,557,875 times
I'm a teacher in SD, and both of those schools are good

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 AM

6,903 posts, read 8,964,843 times
Grant is better than Florence in probably all categories.
Grant is comparable to the better North County schools in terms of >=900 score API but those schools have a bit higher scores.
I can't comment on the more important curriculum differences.
Generally, I'm finding a healthy mix of a solid strong dominant traditional curriculum and creative, alternative avenues the best approach. Hard to find as either some schools have too much a loosey goosey unstructured curriculum (those alternative ones) Or just teach to the test. And they don't have resources (or time from state curriculum requirements) for enough extracurriculars.
So far, not as good as my school growing up in the Northeast which had a great balance of all these factors in retrospect for that generation. I was lucky to get a both a great education and an open minded and tolerant perspective on life (some due to schools, some to parents).
Would like to hear other's opinions, incl. Sassberto.

Last edited by bloom; 04-03-2008 at 12:32 AM..

Old 04-03-2008, 09:21 AM

Default elementary schools SD

Bloom,

Thanks for your insights. I am currently in the Boston area and sending my son to a public school. It was rated as one of the better choices in our zone. However, it clearly "teaches to the test" and I not thrilled with the lack of resources......We will be moving to San Diego next summer and will probably relocate to the Hillcrest/Mission Hills district. At least the option of neighborhood schools exist vs. a lottery system back here!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blja View Post
Bloom,

Thanks for your insights. I am currently in the Boston area and sending my son to a public school. It was rated as one of the better choices in our zone. However, it clearly "teaches to the test" and I not thrilled with the lack of resources......We will be moving to San Diego next summer and will probably relocate to the Hillcrest/Mission Hills district. At least the option of neighborhood schools exist vs. a lottery system back here!
If you go public in that district, lack of resources will remain an issue. Other public districts outside SD city will have more for sure. Teaching to the test seems to be more a fact of life in these days in general, so that may be similar between Boston and SD city. Ultimately, SD school is better than Boston in general; significantly better I'm not sure. Districts emphasizing the qualities in my previous posts would be best and they still exist.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
If you go public in that district, lack of resources will remain an issue. Other public districts outside SD city will have more for sure.
Slight amendment as the Grant in MH does have a significant parent-driven Foundation which does supplement resources. More than Boston - yes. Enough to make a (consistent) difference - I think so but not completely sure. Still other districts may be in better shape reliant on higher, stabler district budgets, independent of PTA-driven fundraising.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Default san diego schools

We are planning a trip out in July and hope to visit the neighborhood (s) and get a sense of the school situation. Hopefully staff will be around to offer a tour and field questions. We will contact the schools shortly. In the meantime, what are the school vacation periods? Is it the same as here, Feb and April? Is the school year extended past mid-June?

Thanks again for any info.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,557,875 times
SD has traditional schools (out for summer break ) and year-round schools ( nine weeks on, three off all through the year) All schools have August off. You can log onto sandi.net and find out info on all SD City Schools. We are lucky to have one of 3 top-scoring urban districts in the country (along with Austin / Charlotte)

Old 04-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
We are lucky to have one of 3 top-scoring urban districts in the country (along with Austin / Charlotte)
Can you post a link to this info?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 PM

3 posts, read 14,796 times
Default Go Private

I know I'll get flack for this, but we have not had luck with either school for our bright seven year-old. We now have him at Integral Elementary School of La Jolla and we are thrilled.

We had a problem with our son needing to be academically challenged. His teachers were all too overwhelmed to really deal with him.

Where he is now is wonderful - he can move as fast as he wants in the core subjects and is now reading at fourth grade level with his teacher's support and guidance. I just think unless your child can fit into the cookie cutter approace, his needs can't get met in a public school.

The school's site is integralelementary.com , by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: