Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,414 times

Advertisements

I have recently accepted a position at Kaiser in Pt Loma. My wife is an elementary school teacher with 8 yrs experience. We have heard good things about the Encinitas Union School District and are thinking of moving to that area for that reason.We have two kids, one school aged. Can anyone please provide some feedback on the following;
1) What is the best way for a teacher to find employment in the Encinitas DIstrict?
2)Are there some good rental/property management companies in the Encinitas area where we could find a rental for the time being.
3) What would be some good family friendly Protestant churches in the North Coastal area.
4) Any feedback on commuting from Encinitas to Pt Loma...coaster??

Thanks for the help.
Andrew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:12 PM

16 posts, read 54,278 times
Our family moved to Encinitas in September. We rent a 3 bedroom house (not updated) for 2800 a month (west of the 5). Encinitas is a great family spot. Just be ready to spend 2500 -2800 for a 3 bedroom house that is old. Craigslist is the spot to start your search.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM

371 posts, read 1,259,617 times
When I lived in Mira Mesa ( about 20 mins. south of Encinitas ) we went to Encinitas often. It definitely had a more hippy, natural way of living. We attended many organic, vegetarian 'cook-outs' on the beaches there. They have a really cute downtown.
Loved the Center for Self Realization- beautiful!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM

138 posts, read 1,002,123 times
I love Encinitas. It's a nice town right by the beach with lots of good places to eat as well as really nice people.

As far as teaching jobs go, I think it may be hard right now to find a job, not only considering the economy, but also, San Diego schools aren't doing so hot with all these CA budget cuts. Teachers are definitely in the under-appreciated category.

I'd look on craigslist first and foremost if you're looking to rent a house. If you're considering an apartment, try rent.com or some generic apartment finder website. I don't think there are very many apartment complexes in Encinitas though. Not sure.

Can't help you with the church scene. Sorry.

Lastly, commute from Encinitas to Point Loma isn't going to be very pretty. I don't think the coaster goes to Point Loma, but it might go somewhere near? Unfortunately public transportation in SD is sub-par. The drive won't be so great, but might be your best and fastest bet.

Good luck.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Glad you're looking at Encinitas. I'm born and raised here, now raising my kids here, and we love it. We love that Encinitas retains its small, surf town feel downtown, but also has all the shopping and dining you'll need for day to day living (Target, Trader Joe's, lots of restaurants, etc.).
Tom Guy is a property manager in Leucadia and serves all of coastal North County. He may be able to direct you to some rental homes.
I don't know of any Protestant churches in the area, but that doesn't mean there isn't a great one.
I agree with the other poster about the commute to Pt. Loma, though. I don't think the Coaster would be a viable option for you. I guess you'd get off in Old Town, then somehow (bus, car?) get from there to Pt. Loma, which isn't exactly right around the corner. You might want to rethink that.
Good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:16 PM

10 posts, read 67,378 times
Default what is the high school situation?

I am also thinking about moving to Encinitas from Marin County. I can see that there are great elementary and middle schools but what is the best local high school? My kids are currently in catholic school (4th and 6th grade) so if necessary, we could continue on that path.

Another question. Do you think Encinitas is more appropriate for raising young boys or Solana Beach? Any other recommendations would be so much appreciated.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM

46 posts, read 148,504 times
bad bad commute.....bad bad bad...lots of time away from family spent sitting on freeway....bad bad commute! can you tell i have done it?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM

63 posts, read 283,397 times
Encinitas is a wonderful city. Whether you want a luxury home on acreage, a home on the golf course, a funky-dumpy beachy place, a bland tract house or a barrio apartment, we have it all. Tom Guy would be an ok place to look at housing, but most rentals are on Craigslist.

The schools are generally good, with a couple low performers, primarily in the hispanic neighborhoods. The high school district has several schools, with the bulk of Encinitas kids attending either San Dieguito Academy or La Costa Canyon. Both are well regarded, as are Canyon Crest & Torrey Pines High. (More the Solana Beach / Del Mar / Carmel Valley high schools) There are no private high schools in Encinitas, although there are quite a few private elementary/middle schools. Frankly, the schools here are good enough I wouldn't waste my money on private school. Two of our kids did go to Santa Fe Christian School in Solana Beach. Unfortunately, SFC is not the school it was when they attended, so our youngest attends La Costa Canyon, and is very happy there.

Churches. There is a huge variety of good churches in / around Encinitas. What's your flavor? From mainline liberal theology denominations; United Methodist, Lutheran, Episcopalian etc, to Catholic, to a nice new Jewish temple, a cool Greek Orthodox church, to plenty of non-denominational evangelical churches. Even a funky place downtown that threw a bunch of "religions" in a blender and whipped up a church based on seven "ascended masters".

We attend North Coast Calvary Chapel, a few minutes away in south Carlsbad. A large (~4000+ and growing) church, we just moved into a new facility on 33 acres. Superb preaching, excellent worship, and tons of kids & youth programs. We've been involved for 15 years there, and it's the most authentic church I've experienced. The real deal...

As far as the commute goes, you're not going to get to Point Loma on the Coaster. It's easier to just drive, although it can be tough. If your wife wants to teach in Encinitas or environs, she should contact the local districts and apply. She shouldn't turn herself down for the job simply because of cutbacks, etc. The right person can always get a teaching gig around here.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrlaym View Post
1) What is the best way for a teacher to find employment in the Encinitas DIstrict?
For jobs teaching jobs (and other jobs in school systems in CA), go to: Welcome to EDJOIN!.

Then click on the Blue tab at the top that says "Job Search"

You can search the whole San Diego area if you choose "District Search" and then "San Diego" then you can choose individual schools. ALL the jobs are listed at each school.

Good luck.

P.S. - I've been looking to relocate to San Diego to either Carlsbad or Encinitas for a while now. When you get there, let us know how you like it. Happy holidays!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:13 PM

132 posts, read 627,857 times
Encinitas is the best place in the world! I'm 19 and grew up there, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Great family town, stunning beaches (that I'm sure your relatives in Boise would be breathless over), top schools....it doesn't get much better. It is expensive.

I graduated in 2007 from San Dieguito Academy. I went to Rhodes private school through 5th grade and 5-8 I was at (now gone) Fairbanks Country Day. Rhodes is a very good school and Fairbanks Country Day was a gem...although FCD cost 11K/yr. The public elementary schools are all wonderful (some are better than others though)...but the middle and high schools are among the best in the state.

I say it's worth the commute. My parents are doctors and my dad drives to La Jolla Scripps Hospital...it can be bad...but it's worth it.

My parents could live in Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar or La Jolla. But they love Encinitas. We live in the funky Leucadia neighborhood by the beach....I suggest you check it out!

Hopefully, you'll choose Encinitas. There is no better place in SD to raise a family (outside wealthy Del Mar, La Jolla & Rancho Santa Fe)....but my parents considered all three, (almost bought in RSF, but they wanted a neighborhood instead of 5 acre lots).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego