Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 53,091 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 year old male with a degree in Finance from a very good school. I've only been out of college a year and am planning to move in mid July 2009.

I currently work at Sun Country Airlines, a small airline in the Minneapolis area. By the time I'm ready to move I'll have just under two years experience in financial analysis and will be looking for a similar job in SD.

I'm going to be moving with another 21 yo male who looks to continue his career in cancer research at UCSD before entering medical school. He's in the top 1% of his class at the U of Minnesota, and has a year of cancer research already so we believe he shouldn't have trouble finding a job with UCSD or a surrounding research facility.

I'm told that the job market in San Diego is not very good and with my limited amount of experience I worry about getting a job. The good thing about working for an airline is that I can fly out there for interviews/house hunting very easily.

My biggest concern is finding a job (field doesn't matter) as long as my position is in Finance/Accounting. After I've secured a job I'd like to find (preferably but not exclusively) a 2-3 Bedroom house with 1.5-2 Bathrooms in or close to the downtown area. I'd prefer to not be south of downtown.

We're both slightly introverted, enjoy gardening and the outdoors, and would prefer to have a green back lawn. I am not opposed to buying, but do not know if I'll be accepted considering the economic times.

What would be a decent area to look for a place with the following traits:

---Close to Downtown, more of a city feel
---Privacy, Green yard
---Open-minded diverse neighborhood
---Culture, I do not want to be around a college campus or hardcore party neighborhood. I'd like to be close to museums, libraries and parks
---My price range for renting is $1800-$2300 (total, not for me individually)

Any input is really appreciated, if you need more information please ask.

Thanks in advance for the hopefully positive responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 03:29 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
I'm a North County native, and admittedly not all that familiar with residential areas closer to downtown SD, but I'd guess some place like North Park or that area might give you all or most of what you're looking for. Of course, actual downtown (East Village, etc.) has really taken off since Petco Park opened about 5 years ago, so that may be an option you would want to look into. Congrats on the pending move. I guess there's room for one more transplant out here.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
your biggest concern shouldn't be where you live, but where you will work. CA is a tough place to find a job right now, especially for younger, less experienced workers.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 AM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
Try looking for work for MTS mass transit. They are always hiring. They also have headquarters downtown.

MTS Human Resource

Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job, but the job you find will probably not be one that takes advantage of the "very good school" you went to.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 PM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,916 times
Today's paper..........unemployment in the State at it's highest since the early 90's, now at 8.2% San Diego County @6.8%. Sorry I can't be positive, only giving you the figures. A lot of locals will be ahead of you that also have a "good school" behind them.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:27 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
The nicest neighborhood closest to downtown is Mission Hills. Lots of nice older homes and close to the urban core. I just quickly looked at Craigslist and there are 2 and 3 bedroom HOUSES in your price range although its a little on the low end for a detached house.

Some other neighborhoods I would check out would be Hillcrest (gay neighborhood), North Park, Bankers Hill, South Park, Normal Heights, and Kensington. Kensington seems like the nicest urban neighborhood after Mission Hills and rents seem more reasonable. But MH and Kensington would be my first choices then followed by the others which are all relatively good. These all would be the best urban neighborhoods that have homes with yards to look at in San Diego, everything else is either not urban, too urban (no houses), or too ghetto.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:48 PM

9 posts, read 53,091 times
thanks for the advice, I'll check out kensington and mission hills next time i fly down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: