Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 PM

106 posts, read 433,564 times

Advertisements

123 - I lived in my van for 16 months and it was the most liberating experience of my life being able to pick up and leave in an instant and travel the US. I apologize for not reading all 5 or 6 pages of this thread, but I like your cube van idea.

When I was in SD for 2 months I found that they do allow parking along streets in selected areas and you can even get inexpensive permits in some city parks, but you have to have a sink or running water or something in your van/RV (I did not). Like on Crowne Point Drive bay side park in Pacific Beach or DOwn by the old collesium.

Up in San Fran. there are some parks South in Moon Bay area you could do the same. RIde a bike to find work.

In Seattle, I stayed out on Bainbridge Island at another town park for 1.5 weeks. SO it is doable, but at 40 I saved the tent for the forests - van for the city.

Good Luck Mi Amigo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 PM

161 posts, read 697,102 times
good luck buddy, def look into San Fran if you want a more laid back atmosphere

Old 12-05-2008, 08:01 AM

54 posts, read 128,493 times
Default The help you are looking for may not be the help you really need

Six months even sixteen months sounds like a person who has fallen on some difficult times, but 4 years? That to me sounds like a person with some other issues. I would not consider myself qualified to say what those issues are but most people and employers do prefer the security of a permanent address. Perhaps it is time you sat down to talk with someone who can help you figure out why you feel it is perfectly normal for someone to live in their truck for 4 years just to avoid a mortgage, there are apartments you can rent month to month. You appear to be working very hard to find away to continue this lifestyle, if your brother is willing to sue people for you wouldn't he also be willing to help you get on your feet? Did you refuse his help? If you take a leap of faith do you think you will not recover from the disappointment if things do not work out as planned? Is it peace of mind you need? (Philippians 4:4-9) Carlos today is as good a day as any to begin anew.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:31 AM

Location: Silver Spring, Maryland / But still having San Diego / Eastlake withdrawal damn it !!!
340 posts, read 1,412,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesstress View Post
Six months even sixteen months sounds like a person who has fallen on some difficult times, but 4 years? That to me sounds like a person with some other issues. I would not consider myself qualified to say what those issues are but most people and employers do prefer the security of a permanent address. Perhaps it is time you sat down to talk with someone who can help you figure out why you feel it is perfectly normal for someone to live in their truck for 4 years just to avoid a mortgage, there are apartments you can rent month to month. You appear to be working very hard to find away to continue this lifestyle, if your brother is willing to sue people for you wouldn't he also be willing to help you get on your feet? Did you refuse his help? If you take a leap of faith do you think you will not recover from the disappointment if things do not work out as planned? Is it peace of mind you need? (Philippians 4:4-9) Carlos today is as good a day as any to begin anew.

Agree 100 %

Old 12-05-2008, 11:09 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
Carlos,

You seem like a good guy who doesn't need a lot of junk in his life to be happy, I truly respect and somewhat envy you. But I have to agree with what the nay sayers in this thread are saying, San Diego is not a tolerant place for people with a Bohemian lifestyle. I actually think you will be wasting your time coming here.

If you are a Christian have you considered working for the Church and living in a Monastery? Or helping Orphans?

You seem to have good intentions in life and I just want to make you aware of how you could help others and possibly help your situation too. But if you are happy doing the jobs you describe, then by all means keep doing them.

¿Habla Español? Not sure if you speak Spanish, but if you do, you could also try Mexico, warm weather, very warm people who will not be so judgmental as Americans in San Diego.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-05-2008 at 11:22 AM..

Old 12-05-2008, 01:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Lessstress and bunky, I think that if Jesus lived among us, he'd probably be living very similarly to Carlos. I wouldn't want to live that way, most of us nowadays wouldn't, but if Carlos is doing honest work and not bothering anyone or breaking any laws, more power to him.

Carlos, some thought for you from me:

1. Please reconsider sleeping in a shelter or eating at a soup kitchen. It sounds like you scorn charity, but remember that we are supposed to love and comfort one another. People tithe at church, contribute to charities, and volunteer at soup kitchens for a reason ... to help people in need. It gets frustrating for some who perceive that a lot of the people asking for help aren't doing much to help themselves. This is clearly not who you are, and not only do I genuinely think you should seek real food and shelter without a moment's guilt, I would bet that an overwhelming majority of people would be happy to help you. That's what we're supposed to do. We're not supposed to look down on you ... don't look down on people who take the hand that is offered to them in love and peace.

2. I said above that I have no problem with your making an honest dollar, and I mean it. Somebody has to wash windows. Heaven knows *I* hate doing it, and I'd pay you to clean mine (alas, I live in Illinois now, and I doubt you want to move there). BUT ... you've got to pay your taxes, or at least file them. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, you know? I'm not sure if you fall into an exempt category because you don't make very much, but if you owe them, please pay them, OK?

Best of luck to you, and stay safe.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:55 PM

470 posts, read 2,096,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
1. Please reconsider sleeping in a shelter or eating at a soup kitchen. It sounds like you scorn charity, but remember that we are supposed to love and comfort one another. People tithe at church, contribute to charities, and volunteer at soup kitchens for a reason ... to help people in need. It gets frustrating for some who perceive that a lot of the people asking for help aren't doing much to help themselves. This is clearly not who you are, and not only do I genuinely think you should seek real food and shelter without a moment's guilt, I would bet that an overwhelming majority of people would be happy to help you. That's what we're supposed to do. We're not supposed to look down on you ... don't look down on people who take the hand that is offered to them in love and peace.
My brother is a lot like Carlos sounds. He chooses a lifestyle that is very non-traditional...just sort of "off the grid."

He too refuses to be served at a soup kitchen.

The way he sees it, soup kitchens, shelters and the like are for people with severe disabilities, mental problems or just plain at the end of a long line of horrible luck, with no options.

He, on the other hand, lives the way he does as a choice.

There's no luck or disability involved, and he doesn't feel right taking charity (or government welfare) that is not really intended for healthy, childless, able-bodied men.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM

54 posts, read 128,493 times
Default Julia, where did I lose you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Lessstress and bunky, I think that if Jesus lived among us, he'd probably be living very similarly to Carlos. I wouldn't want to live that way, most of us nowadays wouldn't, but if Carlos is doing honest work and not bothering anyone or breaking any laws, more power to him.

Carlos, some thought for you from me:

2. I said above that I have no problem with your making an honest dollar, and I mean it. Somebody has to wash windows. Heaven knows *I* hate doing it, and I'd pay you to clean mine (alas, I live in Illinois now, and I doubt you want to move there). BUT ... you've got to pay your taxes, or at least file them. Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, you know? I'm not sure if you fall into an exempt category because you don't make very much, but if you owe them, please pay them, OK?

Best of luck to you, and stay safe.
Are you saying you don't know why it was necessary for Jesus to make himself "of no reputation"? Was it poverty that you believe Jesus would like for us to learn from his life? Do you really believe that what Carlos needs is another person telling him to go get a bowl of soup? Do you think what he needs right now is someone to poo poo all the solid advice he has received here? I refuse to believe that was your purpose.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:29 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times
Just wanted to update anyone still following this thread who might be interested in my continuing "adventure". I posted this in the San Francisco thread too where I have been inquiring about moving there too.

Today was a most incredible day with regard to seeing the living God provide for me once again. Some of you may not be into this God thing as some put it and if so I would ask you to bear with me as I describe what happened today. Some others of you might believe in God and have trusted in Jesus Christ for your salvation and perhaps what I say might encourage you.

Regardless of your views on God or not I want to share what happened today. What I believe to be the hand of my God moving to help me...as He has done so very many times before.

This morning I woke up wondering how in the world I was going to find the time to go through all my paper work at my storage unit before Dec 15th when I must be out of my truck. I need to trash it or take photos of it and shred it and going through it all is going to take a lot of time.

I did not know how I was going to do it and possibly leave by Dec 15th.

Not to mention that as of today I did not have enough to purchase even a bus ticket to San Diego.

But...I trusted God to open the way for me and to provide for me to either go or stay here, and started my day that way.

Back on Oct 6 someone smashed into my truck while it was parked (legally and all). I was not there. Nothing new for my truck. It's been hit lots for some reason. Most insurance companies will not give me over $500 for it and then only if I give up my truck which I could not do before.

Well the insurance company of the guy who hit me told me today that I will likely end up receiving a payout of $1000!! That is based on a worthless truck. More if the truck is worth anything - which it really isn't at this point. It's completely broken down with a blown radiator and a damaged water pump (which I could fix but it's not worth it since my own insurance company wanted a mechanical at the same time which my truck would not pass).

An adjuster will come look at the truck next week and will make an onsite evaluation of it's worth.

That's not all!

I can then buy the truck back for a measly $100 and then call a junkyard I know to come tow it for free where they will give me a little over a $100 for it. They did this before with an absolute junker of a Suburban that had been rusting in a backyard and that me and my wife had owned years ago.

What is truly amazing about that is that by buying the truck back I can continue to sleep in it until Dec 15th (when I will say goodbye to my beloved truck). Otherwise I would have to find a place to sleep from the time the truck becomes the property of the insurance company.

And that's not all!

I was at the usual buffet restaurant where I go to eat every other day these days (both for good value and nutrition) and overheard someone say "Praise the Lord" for something. Eventually I asked the person if he was a Christian. Which he said he was. I then told him I was thinking of a move to San Diego and that I was selling most of what I own in case he might be interested. I have been thinking that Christians might be more inclined to give me a fair price for all my good stuff (though these days I guess that's debatable since many who call themselves Christians are not in truth real Christians at all and just as likely as anyone else to rip you off or otherwise).

I also told him how the Lord had been providing for me daily. It then came time for him to leave and he extended his hand to me to say goodbye. As I shook his hand I realized that he was at the same time leaving some bills in my hand. I proceeded to tell him that I had not said what I said to get money from him or anything (for free) and almost tried to give it back to him. He said that he was giving me what he was because God had prompted him to give it to me and that if he did not give it to me that he would be disobedient to God. So I accepted. And he left the restaurant.

I opened my hand thinking I would find a $20 or something and lo and behold, he had left me with $110.00!!! From a total stranger!

Unreal!

But that is precisely the kind of ways in which God has provided for me over and over again. In near miraculous if not outright miraculous ways. Almost always at the last minute just when I have need of something.

I just thought I would share that.

I now have time to go through all my paperwork without having to take time to solicit and keep working. Not only that but if the $1000 actually materializes I now have enough to buy a ticket South, buy a tent, a bicycle and do whatever. I even have enough now to stay put and add to my money by working a regular job for the winter. Right where I am.

The $1000 will enable me to easily last two weeks for a regular paycheck and last night I found out from a friend that I can stay at the Salvation Army here in my own rented room for $30 a night. Which includes 3 meals a day. Given that I currently spend $450-500 on food per month ($15-17 per day) that's quite a deal though I have to call them and verify that this is actually the case.

I will have more than enough for two weeks of rooming in the Salvation Army plus living expenses until I receive a regular paycheck! All I can say at the risk of sounding overly religious is....PRAISE GOD!

I am inclined to still move to San Diego mind you but will be looking to see if there is someplace there where I can rent a room for cheap instead of initially sleeping in a tent as I had thought of doing. If I can do the same thing in San Diego that I can now do here (i.e. rent a cheap room, get a job, and save up for a nice big UPS style truck I can convert into a luxury 1 bedroom apartment) why not? I will have the great weather there as an added plus.

In one sense my dilemna has become tougher through the added options and choices that I now have before me. But...I don't mind that at all given that just yesterday I was looking at having to sneak around to sleep in a small tent in San Diego

What to do...what to do

Carlos

Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times
Default The reasons why I choose an "alternative" lifestyle...

For anyone interested I thought I would post a reply to someone who asked me about this in PM. Sometimes people make assumptions about why I do this or that and it's good to set the record straight once in a while. My thinking may indeed need to change on some of this. Maybe my math is off in regard to how it seems better to sleep in a vehicle. I am certainly open to a change.

But for now....I just don't see how paying to rent is better. I don't qualify for a mortgage and would want one, assuming I could qualify, even less.

My reasons....

Essentially the main reason I live as I do is this....

Let's say one pays x amount of dollars to rent somewhere. In order to pay x amount of dollars one must work x amount of time to make those x dollars.

That time = one's life.

Let's say one is paying $700 a month in rent. Furthermore that they are making $15 per hour. 40 hours x $15 equals $600. Take away taxes and such and you might end up with $450.

So to pay the $700 in rent one must work something close to a week and a half to make the money to pay their rent. That's close to half of one's time at work for a whole year!!

Quite frankly I don't want to waste a large portion of my life to earn enough to give it away to someone else just to have a roof over my head when I can sleep just as soundly in my truck (with a few modifications mind you).

I took out the back seats and built a bunk bed in it and sleep very comfortably.

That has been my primary reason for sleeping in my truck. Initially I started sleeping in it because me and my wife seperated and I had no where else to sleep. I had outfitted it to sleep in it just in case I did not have a place to stay when I had tentatively planned on going to Texas to do window cleaning. So it worked out well.

Mind you there are some things about living in one's vehicle that some might not like very much but that for me are pluses.

When I am in my own apartment...I tend to waste incredible amounts of time sitting around watching TV. I don't do that when sleeping in my truck. My time is used much more wisely. I essentially don't watch TV (a wonderful thing) though I will take in a movie or two once in a while.

I also can't quite invite people over to hang out with me in my truck. But that has not been a great problem in that me and my friends have tended to do things together or hang out at coffee shops and such. Or even at their places.

The freedom of living in one's vehicle is a big plus. I can go where I want when I want and do not need to be concerned about noisy neighbors or otherwise. I once rented an apartment and was choking from the cigarette smoke coming into my apartment from the chain smoker that lived next door. The place was also infested with bed bugs (yuk!).

I also can't keep aquarium fish which I like very much. Sigh...

But overall it's a plus as far as I am concerned.

I honestly have a hard time understanding why our society makes it almost a requirement that we all sleep indoors somewhere in a building. And that doing otherwise is considered...well...weird or something.

I am a normal guy in most every respect. As I have said in the thread I don't smoke, do drugs, am a man of integrity, and didn't have sex until I was married.

But people are always thinking that I am some kind of bum who would rather get things for free than to have to work for them (completely untrue).

Go figure.

In pioneer days it was no big deal to sack out in the bush somewhere for the night. Have you ever noticed how many Westerns have the guys going to sleep around a campfire

Today it's become this weird thing. Something "normal" people aren't supposed to do for some reason.

Instead we are all expected to live in our cookie cutter houses, pay more of our money to the government in property taxes, cut our lawns and do all the other things that come with renting or owning a home.

And we can't even take it with us when we die! What an incredible waste.

I have known of people that literally pour their lives into their place. Only to die before they hardly have a chance to enjoy it.

We can't take any of that with us!

Better to invest in that life which will come after we die by surrendering to God and living for Him than to waste our lives investing in this life.

Mind you, I am not saying ... that living for God involves living in the woods or in a truck. Only that if we truly live for Him and for eternity and not for this life our perspective will change. And living in a home will be seen to be much less than what our society deems it to be.

If I was married and had kids I would for sure live in a home ... . But as a single...I don't think living in a truck can be beat.

Better yet...I wish Christians, I mean true Christians, would get back to living together as many in the New Testament did. We waste so much of our time and resources by doing everything just for ourselves.

Instead of cooking for one or two we could almost as easily cook for 5 or 6. Instead of buying one clothes washer and dryer for just two we could buy the same set and use it for 10. See what I mean?

Our culture is so incredibly wasteful.

My thinking on all this could change in the future but I just can't honestly justify giving up close to half my life at this point just to earn enough to give to someone else...just so I can sleep with a roof over my head.

When I am sleeping I don't think it matters where I am sleeping. As long as I can sleep in relative safety and comfort. Which I can most certainly do in my truck.

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego