Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times

Advertisements

NorthSDlifer -Ignore that poster. He or she is the same one who creates new usernames just to post negative comments about SD, remember? Hint: Just signed up today and it's he/she's only post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 12:03 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellaphant View Post
I moved from San Diego to Denver almost 4 years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Seriously. We hate it here and our house is on the market so we can move back. I can appreciate how others can like it here, but let me tell you why we don't:
1. There is NO culture. I don't know what other people are used to in terms if culture, but there is NOTHING here. I'm from NYC and my husband is from Philly.
2. The winters are getting harder and harder every year.
3. The jobs are terrible and the pay is menial- and this was before all the unemployment rates skyrocketed.
4. The traffic to go skiing is ridiculous. There is only one way in/out to the ski resorts.
5. The airport is in the middle of no where.
6. We have tried so many different ways to meet people. I think the people in San Diego are just friendlier and nicer.
7. To us, there really isn't a city feel. It's just a place people settled. Denver is NOT in the mountains like most people think.
8. The suburbs are like Stepford Wives communities. Everyone has 2.3 kids, 1 mini-van, the mom stays home, husband works but is home by 5:30.
9. You are LANDLOCKED. You can drive for hours and hours and see the same mountains.

I'll stop there but I would encourage you to really rethink you decision. As I said before, I can see why people like it here, but it's nothing like San Diego.

I wish you the best in your decision.
Denver is one of the few other cities I'd ever want to live in if I ever left SD. I don't plan on leaving, of course, but it can't be that bad, can it? Hope you get back here one day. I will say that the landlock thing is a biggie for me.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM

40 posts, read 130,724 times
sdurbanite,

People love Denver and I always respond with 'Really?'. For us, it really is that bad. I dream of breaking up with Denver! Once our house sells, we're outta here!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,188 times
I lived in North County San Diego for 22 years (originally from Michigan). Three years ago, I moved to the south Denver area (Parker) to be closer to my boys who moved here from San Diego. It is VERY nice here and Denver offers a lot. My only problem is being land locked and I miss the ocean. I since married and we are considering moving back to San Diego (we are both retired). The people are definitely friendlier in the south Denver area that in San Diego. It seemed harder to get to know people in San Diego because of beach attitude. I was single in San Diego and could not find a "quality" man in the 15 years I was there. I struggle with the idea of moving back to CA because I am concerned about not finding the quality of friends for me and my husband there like we have here. But I do love the ocean. Also, there is the concern about water shortages in CA and earthquakes and fires.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggylou View Post
I lived in North County San Diego for 22 years (originally from Michigan). Three years ago, I moved to the south Denver area (Parker) to be closer to my boys who moved here from San Diego. It is VERY nice here and Denver offers a lot. My only problem is being land locked and I miss the ocean. I since married and we are considering moving back to San Diego (we are both retired). The people are definitely friendlier in the south Denver area that in San Diego. It seemed harder to get to know people in San Diego because of beach attitude. I was single in San Diego and could not find a "quality" man in the 15 years I was there. I struggle with the idea of moving back to CA because I am concerned about not finding the quality of friends for me and my husband there like we have here. But I do love the ocean. Also, there is the concern about water shortages in CA and earthquakes and fires.
Those aren't going away any time soon.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:56 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggylou View Post
What is "beach attitude?"

Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
What is "beach attitude?"
You know man, you don't realize what it is because you have it. .

It is super annoying when people generalize like this. Peggy Sue, how about you come back to San Diego and not live near the beach. Maybe this will alleviate you of some of this perceived "beach-itude."

Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
You know man, you don't realize what it is because you have it. .
I guess I do, and I don't even know what it is! haha

Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,912,731 times
I don't get the SD denial sometimes. Is everybody some laid back surfer who hangs out at the beach? Not even close, but SD is known as a laid back place and most people who live here love the beach. I mean if you don't like the beach, it's kind of pointless to spend so much money to live here. It's like somebody living in Silicon Valley who hates everything technology. At some point you have to realize you're living in the wrong place.

But you see it time and time again where people love SD for the weather, the laid back attitudes, the beaches, and so on. But then people act like they don't know what anybody else is talking about if they are called out for being that. Makes little sense.

And like it or not, it does change people. The laid back culture, even if you're not a surfer or beach lover, means there is little of the 100 hour work weeks and work work work attitude here compared to Silicon Valley or NYC or even LA at times. Most people don't move to SD to work 100 hours a week or 'make it big.' Most people could care less if the football team leaves town.

That attitude is a reason why people love it here in a way, but people from outside of town see it as being too laid back or flakey. And if you spend enough time here you become more like that attitude compared to some guy/gal working 100 hours a week in Silicon Valley or NYC. It just makes for a different world and attitude.

Is it everybody? No, but just like everybody in Silicon Valley doesn't work in the tech space or everybody in NYC doesn't work in the Financial space, there are far different attitudes and cultures because of what drives each city. The beaches and weather drive SD more than anything else, not sure why people pretend it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego