Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,953,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi1216 View Post
Is 65 and over what people are driving on highways or smaller streets? That seems kind of excessive for in-town traffic with crossover streets.
San Diego speed limits are about the same as your typical city speed limits.

65 is for highways only. (CA is one of the states which allows 65).

City streets with lots of intersections have limits around 25 - 35.

City roads with fewer intersections have limits around 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM

16 posts, read 43,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodi1216 View Post
Are we talking horrible are tolerable. Are there a lot of rude drivers, accidents?

I'm thinking of relocating my family to a more open-minded place in the future. Right now we are in Gadsden, Alabama. I have a multi-racial son in middle school who is not having a pleasant time of it. We will be moving back to Florida soon but I would really like to settle down in a different area of the country.

So far I'm getting this about SD: beautiful, expensive, great weather, bad traffic, lots to do, many dog lovers, good mexican food, laid back, superficial (a percentage), idealistic, lot of outdoor activities, mostly safe...

Is that about right?

Hi Jodi - I've been in San Diego for the past 7-8 years and I have to say, I love it. I definitely do not think that your multi-racial son will have any issues here. Southern California is as open-minded and racially diverse as you'll find in the US IMO. I myself am in an inter-racial relationship and have many friends who are as well - we really don't have any issues, get any comments or treated differently.

If you are looking to buy a house, yes it is definitely expensive but there are so many great perks as you said.

Traffic really is *not* that bad IMO. As some posters have said, there are the typical pockets of traffic (aka rush hour). I always stay at work till about 7pm and never run into traffic by the time I leave (I live about 20 miles from my office). You'll usually hit traffic around 7am-9am I'd say and then about 4pm-6:30pm. Of course it's case by case but I've found this to be my general experience.

There are many wonderful dog parks here and if you move down, you'll have to be sure to try a California Burrito at Super Sergios

It is a wonderful laid back town and I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to move here!

Old 12-31-2008, 05:32 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,299,545 times
SD does NOT have bad traffic compared to any other city of its size.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:27 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
SD does NOT have bad traffic compared to any other city of its size.
I have to agree. Whenever I've been down there, I've run into some traffic in the late afternoon/early evening, but nothing I would consider drastic.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,953,194 times
Default Car crashes at 89mph

Just read this news story about a New Year's Eve car crash, and it made me think of this thread.

I previously mentioned that lots of San Diego drivers like to drive faster than the 65 limit on CA highways.

The above news story gives an idea of what can happen when a car crashes at 89mph.

Hopefully this might get a few people to slow down to the posted 65mph limit.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:23 PM

26 posts, read 96,812 times
These answers have been helpful. People in the small town I live in now drive a bit slower. 40-55 is the average on the highways going through the cities, but most people drive closer to 60/70 on rural parts of the highways in between towns.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Just read this news story about a New Year's Eve car crash, and it made me think of this thread.

I previously mentioned that lots of San Diego drivers like to drive faster than the 65 limit on CA highways.

The above news story gives an idea of what can happen when a car crashes at 89mph.
I once had a friend who thought it was fun to drive up to 100mph on the freeway (while I was in the car with him!). It pissed me off so much that, after doing it twice, I never got in a car with him again. People do such stupid things sometimes. (Not that I'm perfect, of course!)

Old 01-03-2009, 03:31 PM

181 posts, read 464,595 times
Can traffic really be that bad? I know i am from MN, but our roads were laid out bad here, only two lane interstates for the most part coming in and out of our metro area. It's like the state of MN didn't take into account that a few hundred thousand people commute from over an hour away from the cities... basically making 6am-9am and 4pm-7pm pretty much impossible to move more than two miles in an hour.... Oh and everyone here stops and looks at EVERY single accident or place with flashing lights... its like we have crazy accident watchers here... they even follow firetrucks and ambulances!

Also we have people who like to drive 40 in our fast lanes when the limit is 70... no one here got the concept of the SLOW LANE.

I would take the 5-6 Lane San Diego roads over our anyday. No matter what the traffic is.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubHaze View Post
Can traffic really be that bad? I know i am from MN, but our roads were laid out bad here, only two lane interstates for the most part coming in and out of our metro area. It's like the state of MN didn't take into account that a few hundred thousand people commute from over an hour away from the cities... basically making 6am-9am and 4pm-7pm pretty much impossible to move more than two miles in an hour.... Oh and everyone here stops and looks at EVERY single accident or place with flashing lights... its like we have crazy accident watchers here... they even follow firetrucks and ambulances!

Also we have people who like to drive 40 in our fast lanes when the limit is 70... no one here got the concept of the SLOW LANE.

I would take the 5-6 Lane San Diego roads over our anyday. No matter what the traffic is.
Well, according to the Texas Transportation Institute, things are worse in San Diego than in Minneapolis, but a lot of this depends on where you decide to live and work. Just like in Minneapolis (I lived there for several years), if you live and work in the middle of San Diego, you won't have to deal with a lot of traffic problems.

http://mobility.tamu.edu/ums/congestion_data/tables/national/table_5.pdf (broken link)

Old 01-03-2009, 06:20 PM

489 posts, read 1,951,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post

Hopefully this might get a few people to slow down to the posted 65mph limit.
They weren't exactly "young kids" either--and to drive like that with infants in the car--geez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego