Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,172,054 times

Advertisements

I have been talking to a lot of San Diegons through email about renting or sharing a room in San Diego in anticipation of moving there and a lot of them list "no drama" and no "420 business" in their ads.

I keep forgetting to ask what that is exactly so I figure I would...well...ask on the San Diego forum .

What is "drama"? I think it means no hissy fits or temper trantrums or otherwise. Not sure.

What is a "420 business"? A home based business perhaps?

Carlos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,993,377 times
No drama means no trouble. 420 is slang for smoking marijuana.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:41 PM

Now I know not to ask a prospective landlord..."Do you allow a 420 business?"

Nor would it have come across very well if I had told them that I am not as prone to getting into emotional drama as might be more likely to happen with members of the fairer sex . Of course these days one never knows who is going to get into more emotional drama or not .

Thanks for filling me in on what these terms mean!

Carlos

Old 12-21-2008, 01:41 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos123 View Post
What is a "420 business"? A home based business perhaps?
Oh, that was hilarious. Thank you for the chuckle.

(And welcome to California!)

Old 12-21-2008, 02:01 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,671 times
420 is to Boulder Colorado as the Padres are to San Diego...The town becomes a little
more friendly everyday at 4:25 pm...

Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
420 is to Boulder Colorado as the Padres are to San Diego...The town becomes a little
more friendly everyday at 4:25 pm...
Huh? I'll have to chew on that one for a while. I am usually a bit dense when it comes to getting jokes one has to think about some . Though I am a very intelligent guy otherwise. Honest.

Incidentally I have not arrived in California yet. Still trying to line up housing. One looks like a done deal. If it actually works out I will buy the next discounted plane ticket to San Diego.

I will be exchanging 10 hours of computer work a week to set up my camping mattress at nights and sleep in their home for a month. Although I have lived in my truck and so forth I am quite experienced in creating web pages and using Internet technologies. So this may work out quite good for us both.

Of course...what I do after a month remains to be seen. I sure don't want to pay no $700-1000 a month to sleep somewhere I am hoping that there are cheaper alternatives in San Diego...somewhere for me to sleep. I could just buy a tent and go lay down next to some bush in a secluded area I guess, and I am willing to do that if I absolutely end up with no place to stay after a month, but it's called "illegal camping" there and I want to respect local ordinances if I can at all do so.

Incidentally I assure whoever got amusement from my thread that my questions and mistaken impressions of what a 420 business was (a home based business) is, were...well...sincere

Boy...I like using that smack the hand on the head icon!

Carlos

Last edited by carlos123; 12-21-2008 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-21-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Incidentally I assure whoever got amusement from my thread that my questions and mistaken impressions of what a 420 business was (a home based business) is, were...well...sincere
Absolutely. It was the sincerity and innocence of asking the question that made it funny and charming.

There was a period when I didn't know what "420" meant either.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:15 PM

LOL. This whole business is quite amusing!

How the drug trade has taken on a whole new dimension in the States. 420 being equal to mariuajuna and all.

In Edmonton, where I presently live, one sometimes gets approached on the street with a "You need some?". How can someone be arrested for asking if you need something of something LOL.

In San Diego...it seems to be..."You know where there is a 420 business?". Or maybe "Have you got $4.20?" or some other nondescript statement...all indicating mariujauna or maybe not.

Up till now I could have said..."I don't have any spare change to give you.". Now I don't know what I will say LOL. $4.20 being the equivalent of spare change in expensive San Diego!

Carlos

Old 12-21-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
LOL. This whole business is quite amusing!

How the drug trade has taken on a whole new dimension in the States. 420 being equal to mariuajuna and all.

In Edmonton, where I presently live, one sometimes gets approached on the street with a "You need some?". How can someone be arrested for asking if you need something of something LOL.

In San Diego...it seems to be..."You know where there is a 420 business?". Or maybe "Have you got $4.20?" or some other nondescript statement...all indicating mariujauna or maybe not.

Up till now I could have said..."I don't have any spare change to give you.". Now I don't know what I will say LOL. $4.20 being the equivalent of spare change in expensive San Diego!

Carlos
It's become such a (dumb) joke that I don't even like saying that it's 4:20pm; I'll say it's "20 minutes after 4".

As I consider houses to buy, I know I won't offer $420,000; I'll have to offer $425K or $415K. I can imagine the reaction I'd get when people ask, "So, what did you give 'em for the house?" My answer, "420". lol... Yeah, it would be funny, but it would get old.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM

Yeah...I imagine ya all have to show quite a bit of patience when one's like me from elsewhere come to San Diego.

All the old questions and resulting jokes (which seem new and witty to new comers) surface all over again

Carlos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: