Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 17,310 times

Advertisements

How is biking within the city? is it a bike friendly city? bike lanes? how are the drivers with bikers? I am used big city biking, just wondering.
I see from Little Italy I could bike down N. Harbor Dr. and be at Ocean Beach in 6 miles, which is nothing on a bike. Is ocean beach front have nice areas to bike up and down by chance?

Also, how is biking around downtown? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:33 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,475,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackle View Post
How is biking within the city? is it a bike friendly city? bike lanes? how are the drivers with bikers? I am used big city biking, just wondering.
I see from Little Italy I could bike down N. Harbor Dr. and be at Ocean Beach in 6 miles, which is nothing on a bike. Is ocean beach front have nice areas to bike up and down by chance?

Also, how is biking around downtown? thanks!
I did that ride for a couple of years every day, from my crash pad in OB to my job at a restaurant downtown. It is a good ride but it is very dangerous. Harbor drive is basically like a freeway. If you are used to big city biking, I think you will be OK. San Diego has a pretty good bike lane system in general, you just have to be careful.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:44 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Portland and Minneapolis (sp) are supposedly the best bike cities with respect to bike lanes, etc. San Diego is probably the best weather wise (in stark contrast to the above cities) but not really good at all for car, bike friendly lanes imo. Mission Bay looks like a nice, relaxing car-free zone. Maybe v. good mtn biking zones here but not into that.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
its a death wish. i put my bike in the shed 3 months ago after a space case on the cell phone almost nailed me.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its a death wish. i put my bike in the shed 3 months ago after a space case on the cell phone almost nailed me.
So try Mission Bay, for fun, not commuting.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Door !!!! --- Watch out while passing parked cars if someone is sitting in the drivers seat. That door can open right in front of you in a heartbeat. When I was a surf rat growing up on Point Loma but hanging in OB as a teenager I used to ride up to Torrey Pines Park and back to Point Loma, grab a bite of lunch consisting of Oreo cookies at home, then off again I would make my way on Catalina out to the end of Point Loma to the lighthouse. I would then leave my bike unattended and unlocked, (gasp), sneak down to the bunkers and sneak through the tunnels to other small bunkers. I would then tour the lighthouse and go to the top. Next I would fly down the hill to the dolphin tanks, then over to the end at the sewage plant and back. Next came the grind back up the hill to Catalina and the trip back to home for some more Oreo cookies !

Old 01-03-2009, 10:16 PM

1,042 posts, read 2,171,846 times
I don't know if this is indicative of using a bike in San Diego or not but last week I met a guy on wheelchair who got that way because some guy using a cell phone hit him on his bike.

That same day I met another guy, still riding his bike, who was disfigured due to someone also hitting him.

Two in a row pretty much convinced me to not ride a bike around here .

Carlos

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 17,310 times
Carlos, damn, wow, sad stories! Geez...scary.

Well, I have biked in downtown chicago and in downtown NY/NY, as well as in DC...and survived....I have to imagine if you do most of your biking on paths and near the ocean you should be ok? Are there bike paths that run along the ocean/coast line?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:07 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,864 times
Highway 101 through Solana Beach, Encinitas, and Carlsbad is a virtual cyclist expressway. There are literally hundreds of cyclists out at any given time, peaking with the weekend warriors on Sat and Sunday. Some of the route has dedicated bike lanes, some does not. There are several bike shops along the way, and byclists seem to make a day of it, riding and stopping to eat, drink, do whatever. It's a pretty large community.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:12 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I ride every day. Just like any other big City you need to map your routes and when available take side streets. The best route in and out of downtown from North is Nimitz. Try to stay out of the Sports Arena area.

There is a nice bike path that run next to Harbor, it might be slower but much safer than jockeying with cars. If you can avoid rush hour traffic that much the better.

Mission Bay is a safe route just be careful what time of day. I make sure I'm outta there by 10 in the summer when the traffic gets thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego