U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 05:18 AM

66 posts, read 189,213 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone!

I'm a new entry in this forum. I live in Sardinia, Italy, it's a very nice island in the middle of the Mediterranean sea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sardinia) So, I spent a month in NYC six months ago, I also visited Wahington D.C. and Philadelphia. Nice places I really love them. Lately I worked in London UK for a couple of months, nice city but everyday cloudy, never you can see the sun! So I don't like the north, I can't stay for long time in the north! I'm much more attracted from the south, like sunny, warm weather, beaches and sea, as I live in an island! So I'm thinking to move to U.S. and the places I'm considering is Florida or southern California-----> San Diego that sounds so good for me. I don't know, which is the best place in Southern USA to live in?I'm 25 years old and I'm not married and no kids.

Can you please give me some important info? Which are the main fields of job over there? Are there many opportunity for getting a job? Are there many immigrant? And Illegal immigrant? What about crime? I'm surprised by reading about crime in this forum... Is it really expensive living in SD? Like housing and taxes? And public trasportation? Is San Diego like Los Angeles that people say you must have a car? Are you people satisfed to live in San Diego.

Thanks a lot, I hope there is somebody who can give give me some info.
Matt
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 06:52 AM

989 posts, read 5,578,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
\ Are there many opportunity for getting a job? Are there many immigrant? And Illegal immigrant? What about crime?
The economy is San Diego is very good compared to 80% of American cities. There are tons of opportunities in defense, military, and naval due to all the bases. The economy is diverse though and jobs are rather plentiful in any sector.

This is Southern California and illegal immigrants are a huuuuge problem. You may want to decide before moving if you can deal with this. However, if you can afford a upper middle class area-this will be no problemo.

San Diego is one of the safest big cities in America.

-NB's most wanted..

Old 05-23-2007, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 12,116 times
Hey Matt, I am a 22 year old female, no kids, single and have been living in San Diego for the past 8 years of my life. I'm on my way to New York and could not been more depressed about leaving the area. The cost of living is a bit high, but then i don't know what it's like in Sardinia. San Diego actually has a "Little Italy" which is absolutely booming right now and filled to the brim with Native Italians. The weather is amazing nearly all year round and the people are friendly. It's hard to find a native San Diegan, as the city draws people of all walks of life. I wouldn't say there's a "problem" with illegal immigrants. Yes, we are close to the border and yes we do have illegals but they are in the States to make money to help out their families to get them out of Mexico since the government is in somewhat of an uproar right now. It all depends on how you view the issue i guess, but i don't think that immigrants should be a deciding factor on whether or not you should move to probably one of the best sunny cities in the States. Any questions, feel free to ask!

Old 05-23-2007, 06:21 PM

840 posts, read 6,211,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_sally View Post
It's hard to find a native San Diegan

I think you'll find many in the urban/older parts of San Diego. Many have left because of the cost of living, including myself.

Matts, San Diego is not like L.A., but depending on where you live and work, you may or may not need a car.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:34 AM

Default sally

sailor sally thanks for answering.

So many people is telling me is better to get a job around the whole east side instead California about immigrant issues.
I have a friend who can help me in New Jersey (very close to Manhattan) but I'm pretty confused because I'm attracted from warm and sunny places as San Diego.
Anyway are you living in NYC right now? I've been there, so cool. Can you tell me about the most important differents between NY and SD please?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1904 View Post
I think you'll find many in the urban/older parts of San Diego. Many have left because of the cost of living, including myself.

Matts, San Diego is not like L.A., but depending on where you live and work, you may or may not need a car.
I've already heard about that, what is expensive in San Diego? Food, gasoline, transportation, taxes, appartment rent?

Old 05-24-2007, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
San Diego is one of the safest big cities in America.

-NB's most wanted..
What's NB??

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM

840 posts, read 6,211,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
What's NB??
I'm guessing it means Newport Beach.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 PM

12 posts, read 49,675 times
I'm a NYer moving to SD this summer, and I can't wait. I was born and raised in NY, about 40 mins outside Manhattan, and have been living and working in Manhattan for about a year.

While I don't necessarily hate it, I definitely don't like it. Reasons being:
- Way, way overpriced. You think SD is expensive... wait til you go to NYC.
- Dirty. People use the sidewalks as their personal trash cans, and no one ever seems to clean them.
- Too many ill mannered and dirty people. Rarely a day goes by that some guy isn't taking a leak on the sidewalk, spitting up in the subway or screaming profanities for all to hear.
- Weather. In the winter, it's torture if you don't like the cold, and I HATE the cold.
- The people. Many are great, many more suck. People around here are, IMO, very selfish, unfriendly and stressed out, in general. It makes living here very unpleasant.
- And while immigrants may not be the biggest problem, I find more people speak non English languages than English.

I'm sure I could go on, but I'll stop there. Suffice it to say, I'm not the biggest fan of NYC. Of course, millions claim to love it, so perhaps I'm just an anomoly.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:24 PM

4,252 posts, read 11,051,619 times
Matt, regarding job opportunities and whether you'd be impacted by illegal immigrants, (I'm assuming you'll be a legal worker) it depends on what your field of work is. For example construction wages, and anything in landscaping are lower here in San Diego. It also would affect the food service industry.

As for costs,

San Diego

Food: Average
Gasoline: Expensive
Taxes: Above Average
Rent: Above Average
Utilities: Inexpensive*

*Inexpensive because you use so little for heating and cooling.

New York City Area

Food: Above Average
Gasoline: Above Average
Taxes: Expensive
Rent: Very Expensive
Utilities: Don't Know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego