U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM

489 posts, read 1,894,115 times

Advertisements

A private development company is proposing to dredge the bottom of the southern tip of S.D. Bay between Chula Vista and Coronado Cays to build an airport. This is the worst proposal yet IMHO. Enough already. Any opinions on this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM

1,503 posts, read 5,921,050 times
It's not a bad proposal, but it has no chance of success because of environmental constraints on any development in San Diego Bay.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM

7,220 posts, read 21,225,572 times
i think all you SD residents are going to be stuck driving up to LA or making connections for a good portion of your flights for a long time to come.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:05 PM

18,511 posts, read 30,465,174 times
the location is just horrible and even you could get past all the environmental hurdles good luck dealing with the residents of the Coronado Cays and trying to put a runway so close to them. Building an airport out of reclaimed land is not a bad idea and has been done elsewhere but this location just makes no sense. One farther out in the ocean seems better but I'm not sure how feasible that is and a similar idea was already rejected.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:08 PM

It's not a bad proposal, unless you live in Chula Vista, the Coronado Cays, or enjoy the beauty of the bay at Lowe's Coronado Resort. I tire of the mentality that Chula Vista is a remote wasteland with no population.

Keep Lindbergh as is, and construct an airport in North County. Don't destroy one of the gems of the area--the bay. Thank God for those environmental constraints.

If the economy keeps up as is, there may not be a need for a larger airport anyway.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,879,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post
It's not a bad proposal, unless you live in Chula Vista, the Coronado Cays, or enjoy the beauty of the bay at Lowe's Coronado Resort. I tire of the mentality that Chula Vista is a remote wasteland with no population.

Keep Lindbergh as is, and construct an airport in North County. Don't destroy one of the gems of the area--the bay. Thank God for those environmental constraints.

If the economy keeps up as is, there may not be a need for a larger airport anyway.
I agree they shouldn't put it there and there's lots of room in North County for a new airport.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM

1,503 posts, read 5,921,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Lindbergh Field planes land over Hillcrest and take off over Sunset Cliffs and Ocean Beach, those two areas have some of the most expensive real estate in San Diego County (in terms of $/sf).

If there's a good place in North County where to put an airport, feel free to tell us where it is and why it was overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
I agree they shouldn't put it there and there's lots of room in North County for a new airport.
Or even expand Palomar? Makes more sense to tear up some petunia fields than to dredge up the bottom of a bay, all the while North County residents would be traveling further than before to get to an airport in Chula Vista? Makes no sense.

9,348 posts, read 29,124,133 times
Goofy but cool proposal. Definitely never going to happen. As long as JetBlue keeps the nonstop to JFK, I'm fine with the airport as it is.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
Lindbergh Field planes land over Hillcrest and take off over Sunset Cliffs and Ocean Beach, those two areas have some of the most expensive real estate in San Diego County (in terms of $/sf).

If there's a good place in North County where to put an airport, feel free to tell us where it is and why it was overlooked.
As a south county resident, I'm not going to speak for residents of N. County, and I'm sure there are other posters on here like Sassberto who have far more knowledge about land availability in North County than I do, but if I lived in Oceanside, I sure as heck would not want to drive to Chula Vista for an airport, a Charger game, or anything else.

For those of us who DO call Chula Vista/Coronado home (and there are many of us), the spectre of airport runways where there once was beautiful waterfront is not attractive. I'm no tree hugger but do appreciate the beauty of the area, have sailed on that part of the bay, and the bay is a large part of what makes San Diego beautiful. I think when you start talking about destroying a "jewel" of an area like a natural body of water, things have gone too far. I don't know what the solution is, but it doesn't lie in the San Diego Bay.

People from other areas of the county are quick to "trash" Chula Vista, until it's time for yet another ridiculous development project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego