Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM

28 posts, read 59,893 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering if someone can give me advice/info. about San Diego. I recently graduated from college with an Associate of Science degree in Medical Billing. I have been submitting my resumes for about a two weeks now. I have never left MS, but I have always been interested in moving to the west coast, preferably San Diego. I am a single mother with a son age 12 and I presently work at a attorney's office as a Assistant Claims Processor. I really want to move before/around May. Can someone give me info. and advice about San Diego and tell me if jobs are plentiful in the health care industry there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Perhaps a visit here would be a good start. I'd never recommend anyone who's never left their home state to just pick up and move 2,000 miles away site unseen. The fact that you have a child just reinforces that. My advice: Save up enough for a plane ticket, a rental car while you're here and 4 days in a hotel. That will tell you a lot about whether you want to be here. Most of us who choose to live here do so because we love it. But I and others also realize it's not for everyone. Also, jobs are tight here and salaries may not match what you need to make ends meet. Good luck to you.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:59 PM

982 posts, read 3,485,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misssampandrea View Post
Hello I was wondering if someone can give me advice/info. about San Diego. I recently graduated from college with an Associate of Science degree in Medical Billing. I have been submitting my resumes for about a two weeks now. I have never left MS, but I have always been interested in moving to the west coast, preferably San Diego. I am a single mother with a son age 12 and I presently work at a attorney's office as a Assistant Claims Processor. I really want to move before/around May. Can someone give me info. and advice about San Diego and tell me if jobs are plentiful in the health care industry there?
I agree with Encinitan. I visited San Diego for the first time for a week this past November. I liked it so much, I went back for a week in December. After the second visit, I was certain that I wanted San Diego to be my new home. I'm going back out in March to research homes, schools, etc. You probably will like it there, but you should never make such a big move without at least a visit to the place you're considering.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 PM

858 posts, read 2,235,649 times
The health care industry in SD is very good. They are always expanding and with more retirees in the area, it's not gonna stop expanding for a very long time. Rady Children's just open a new building. Try looking at this link. http://www.rchsd.org/body.cfm?id=19

You have:

1. Rady Children's Hospital
2. Scripps Hospital
3. Sharp Healthcare
4. UCSD Medical Center

Good luck!

Last edited by ubringliten; 01-13-2009 at 12:51 AM..

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,315,282 times
Health care is one of the few industries still increasing employment in the country despite the recession.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:21 AM

95 posts, read 388,563 times
Jobs are very difficult to get since the banking crises, secure the job before you move.Rents are very high too, be prepared to spend a minimum of 1200 for a 2 bed mediocre apt.You can check rents on craigslist.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
I lived in MO my whole life until '83 Boyfriend got a good job there, so we said why not...We just took th plunge & went.
We just LOVED San Diego. We can't say enough good things about it. The weather in itself was PERFECT. So many things to do. All the people we met were so nice & down to earth.
Be prepared to pay double for auto insurance too, just not the rent. It's still worh it in every way.
We would still be there if it wasn't for parents having bad health & having to move back for them.
I agree visit SD. It's the closest thing to heaven in our book. We loved it more than Hawaii & the islands. Too bad SD doesn't have the leighs. LOL !!!
Best of luck in your decision...you'll love it.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:33 AM

1,248 posts, read 3,508,090 times
If you're in healthcare, also consider local hospices. After all, people are always dying...

Old 01-27-2009, 06:46 PM

I will be planning to visit in May when I get my vacation time. I have been submitting resumes at different hospitals and clinics and I haven't hear back. I feel like it has something to do with me being so far away. I feel so sure that I will love San Diego. I heard that immigration is a big problem there is that true and I don't speak Spanish, at least, I'm not fluent. I speak a little bit, not much.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM

I will be planning to visit in May when I get my vacation time. I have been submitting resumes at different hospitals and clinics and I haven't hear back. I feel like it has something to do with me being so far away. I feel so sure that I will love San Diego. I heard that immigration is a big problem there is that true and I don't speak Spanish, at least, I'm not fluent. I speak a little bit, not much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: