Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:24 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

Well it looks like my future hometown is down to two cities. San Diego Area and Boca Raton Area(Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Highland Beach). We are coming to San Diego for a week in spring for some marathon and we will see if we like what we see. I have lived in South Florida and I love everything about it. Humidity, hot, beaches everywhere, the people, Miami Beach only an hour away. I was wondering your thoughts on the two places, I have lived in San Diego but only a block off of MCRD and never made it to North Country. I actually prefer Florida over any part of Cali but I am not making up my mind until I give So Cal a chance. Plus it's cheaper and I love the style of buildings and the setup of the whole area. Has anyone ever moved to or from the Boca Raton area and what are your thoughts? I also like the fact that everything a lot closer in Miami and I love the whole salsa music scene as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM

490 posts, read 1,555,617 times
Sounds like you love Fla., so go there

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
"... Humidity, hot, beaches everywhere, the people, Miami Beach only an hour away."

If this is what you like about Miami, I'd say Florida is your place. San Diego is not tropical like Florida.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM

35 posts, read 145,107 times
I live in Ft. Lauderdale but I've spent quite a bit of time in L.A. and the O.C.

If someone doesn't mind hot, humid weather-and let's face it SoCal gets pretty cold relative to SoFla- then the nod based on cost alone goes to SoFla. If you're a water person-boating, fishing even sun bathing on crowded beaches then Florida wins hands down.

Because I'm a sucker for hills and the beautiful vistas if the cost of living was equal I'd probably prefer SoCal but alas real estate prices are generally 2-3x more expensive in California than their Florida equivalent. Plus California's income tax and lack of friendliness to 2nd amendment rights are negatives. Besides there's few streets in the country with a restaurant scene quite like Atlantic Ave in Delray........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Well it looks like my future hometown is down to two cities. San Diego Area and Boca Raton Area(Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Highland Beach). We are coming to San Diego for a week in spring for some marathon and we will see if we like what we see. I have lived in South Florida and I love everything about it. Humidity, hot, beaches everywhere, the people, Miami Beach only an hour away. I was wondering your thoughts on the two places, I have lived in San Diego but only a block off of MCRD and never made it to North Country. I actually prefer Florida over any part of Cali but I am not making up my mind until I give So Cal a chance. Plus it's cheaper and I love the style of buildings and the setup of the whole area. Has anyone ever moved to or from the Boca Raton area and what are your thoughts? I also like the fact that everything a lot closer in Miami and I love the whole salsa music scene as well.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:04 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Based on your comments & the fact that you have lived in both San Diego & Boca Rotan I would suggest moving to Florida. If you like "hot humid beach scene" year around then, again Florida is a better choice. As you likely know San Diego is much further north of Florida & the Pacific is cold compared to the Gulfstream. By November it is too cold to swim comfortably in the ocean in San Diego & water temps don't reach 70F until July.

It is more feasible cost-wise to live in Florida compared to California though it is less exciting\ dynamic in Florida [also too conservative for the average Californian].

Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 PM

35 posts, read 145,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Based on your comments & the fact that you have lived in both San Diego & Boca Rotan I would suggest moving to Florida. If you like "hot humid beach scene" year around then, again Florida is a better choice. As you likely know San Diego is much further north of Florida & the Pacific is cold compared to the Gulfstream. By November it is too cold to swim comfortably in the ocean in San Diego & water temps don't reach 70F until July.

It is more feasible cost-wise to live in Florida compared to California though it is less exciting\ dynamic in Florida [also too conservative for the average Californian].
Your first paragraph Happ is spot on but I somewhat disagree with the last line of your post. As you know demographics are very location specific. Would you consider Poway or the O.C. either dynamic or liberal? Remember too we're not comparing states but regions within two states. While I concede that SoFla "liberalism" is more FDR era Jewish condo voters than hip med-pot smoking screenwriters the fact is Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are decidingly "blue" while the O.C. and until this election SD are reliably "red." Not to mention there is nothing in SD comparable to South Beach. I certainly don't favor one place over another based on which rappers are partying there but the club scene in South Beach is a nightly A-list of movie stars, recording artists and pro-athletes. Comparatively the "beach" towns of SD look pretty pedestrian with their bevy of frat boys and beer bongs.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:49 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,608,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKindOfTown View Post
Your first paragraph Happ is spot on but I somewhat disagree with the last line of your post. As you know demographics are very location specific. Would you consider Poway or the O.C. either dynamic or liberal? Remember too we're not comparing states but regions within two states. While I concede that SoFla "liberalism" is more FDR era Jewish condo voters than hip med-pot smoking screenwriters the fact is Dade, Broward and Palm Beach are decidingly "blue" while the O.C. and until this election SD are reliably "red." Not to mention there is nothing in SD comparable to South Beach. I certainly don't favor one place over another based on which rappers are partying there but the club scene in South Beach is a nightly A-list of movie stars, recording artists and pro-athletes. Comparatively the "beach" towns of SD look pretty pedestrian with their bevy of frat boys and beer bongs.
Yes, I agree with you also. Part of the confusion with this thread is the title versus the summary. If we are comparing So Florida w/ So Cal then it is quite different than Boca Raton versus San Diego. Frankly, I don't really know much about the political situation in So Florida but assumed it was like you suggested w/ a mostly Democratic constituency. And agree that South Beach is "party-central" but so is West Hollywood/LA. And if A-List is a standard than Miami takes a second to Los Angeles.

But San Diego & to a less degree Orange county are not like Miami or LA though the scene in Laguna Beach/ Newport Beach is similar to Palm Beach. If it is an issue of nightlife/club scene then perhaps both areas [San Diego & Boca Rotan] are similar but San Diego is more surfer-oriented & Boca Rotan is more resort beach-oriented.

Within the 2 states, I think all would agree that California is considerably more exciting w/ more things to do & more diverse but that's true when comparing California with any state.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I agree with everything that's been said so far.

Milwaukee, it sounds like you know what you like, and from what you've described, South Florida would be much more enjoyable for you.

If South Florida weren't so humid, it would be a lot more appealing to me, but then maybe that's just me.

Also, South Florida is in FLORIDA. Lots of things about the culture/political scene there that would drive me crazy.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Would a conservative even survive in so cal?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:02 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Would a conservative even survive in so cal?
Absolutely. There are vast areas of conservative territory in Southern California. There may be more liberals, but they're packed into smaller areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego