Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 11,224 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I sold a car today for 1300 dollars(Cash) and it was my first time. There were couple of things that I did wrong and am starting to worry now. Firstly, I signed the title in the sellers box and listed the odometer reading. But the buyer didn't sign on the title before I handed it over to him. Secondly, I made the buyer sign a Bill of sale (self prepared) but it does not have his DL Number listed. I called him to get his license number but he said he can't give and he hung up on me. Since then I am not able to get through to him. I feel that there is something going on. I have already gone online on the DMV website and have filled the Notice of Transfer. I am worried as to what might happen now. What do I do if he doesn't transfer the title to his name? Can I get it revoked? I would appreciate if you guys could comment.Have a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a700_ksa View Post
Hello All,
I sold a car today for 1300 dollars(Cash) and it was my first time. There were couple of things that I did wrong and am starting to worry now. Firstly, I signed the title in the sellers box and listed the odometer reading. But the buyer didn't sign on the title before I handed it over to him. Secondly, I made the buyer sign a Bill of sale (self prepared) but it does not have his DL Number listed. I called him to get his license number but he said he can't give and he hung up on me. Since then I am not able to get through to him. I feel that there is something going on. I have already gone online on the DMV website and have filled the Notice of Transfer. I am worried as to what might happen now. What do I do if he doesn't transfer the title to his name? Can I get it revoked? I would appreciate if you guys could comment.Have a good one.
I would go to the DMV office and tell them your story. They would be the best ones to give you advice.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:26 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
as long as you filled out the notice of transfer, you're fine. i once sold a car and didn't even have the title. another option besides going to the dmv is to go to your local aaa office if you are a member and talk to the people there. they have a 'mini dmv' at their offices that members have access to.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
as long as you filled out the notice of transfer, you're fine. i once sold a car and didn't even have the title. another option besides going to the dmv is to go to your local aaa office if you are a member and talk to the people there. they have a 'mini dmv' at their offices that members have access to.
I second this. You should be fine.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
You signed off on the title and are clear of it.
The responsibility is now his.
The good part is you have your money.
You should be fine.
People do this all the time.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Did you remove your license plates from the car when you sold it?

If not, contact the DMV, and tell them.

There is a potential for illegal use of the plates by the new owner.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,587 times
Default i didnt sign the buyer part of the title

I forgot to sign the buyer portion of the previous car title , but its now registered under my name .. should i be worried ?

Old 04-15-2016, 12:43 AM

18 posts, read 19,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Did you remove your license plates from the car when you sold it?

If not, contact the DMV, and tell them.

There is a potential for illegal use of the plates by the new owner.
Plates stay on the car in CA unless they're personalized plates you want to keep.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:23 AM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truestorie95 View Post
I forgot to sign the buyer portion of the previous car title , but its now registered under my name .. should i be worried ?
No you're OK
Wholly Thread Revival

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
LOL, I knew a guy who, back in the 80's, had a very hot rodded '70 1/2 camaro (ugly tho and no interior, just made it faster) he sold to one of those used car dealers on el cajon blvd. It had vanity plates with his first initial and last name.
About a month later he is sitting at home and hears a loud knock on the door. He hops up and answered it-four sheriff deputies stick guns in his face, yell "down on the ground, now, and spread em!"
They look around and order his g/f hands up, but its over remarkably quick. "Its not THEM, not even close".
Turns out the dealer sold it, plates and all, to a gang in SE San Diego of a certain ethnic appearance, and they were using it as a getaway car in a string of brazen armed robberies at san diego grocery stores. You know, the kind where they roar up in front, walk in and fire a couple of rounds in the ceiling and yell "nobody move or youre dead. Now wheres the safe?"
Almost every one got a description of the car which included his name on the plate.
I helped him build the big block engine in it, probably had about 500hp, nothing in it but the front seats and dashboard. Helluva getaway car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego