Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 12:56 AM

8 posts, read 25,268 times

Advertisements

Although it is inexpensive to live over the border, I'm sure that it has its cost in terms of time and safety (I understand there is a drug war spilling into the streets). I am single and may be recruiter by a San Diego software company and speak Spanish (poorly).

If there is anyone out there working in SD and living south of border, I'd really like to hear about the experience and the lessons learned. Constructive comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 01:14 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
The obvious big problem would be the north bound border commute especially in our post 9/11 world. It's a nightmare and there is no doubt about it. A friend of mine (a successful consultant in the electricity business) married a Mexican girl and moved down a bit south of Tijuana because they could buy a beach front house for 1/4 the price in San Diego while sending their kids to private school filled mostly with ex-pat Americans and upper class Mexican families. Still, his biggest complaint has always been that 99% of his business is in the US and getting across the border from Mexico into the US is a time consuming affair.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Also while Tijuana is less safe then San Diego (which is one of the safest cities in America) the violent crime rate is still lower then many major American cities; examples include Detroit and New Orleans. Even with the crime associated with the drug cartels the murder rates per 100,000 people are still lower then the American cities I listed before. What is more the mafia types tend to keep their violence aimed at other competing mafia groups so if you are a regular person not involved in illegal activities then you are in no more danger then the average citizen in Chicago during the height of the mafia period of the 1930's. I'm a white guy who goes down there all the time to surf, eat the local food, and enjoy the nightlife and I don't feel threatened very often. Of course I'm also young and in shape and I speak Spanish so thugs might look for easier prey but if you use common sense (don't go in the shanty towns after dark, don't try to sleep on the beach, don't get drunk and flash expensive watches or jewelry) then the odds are very good that you will be just fine. I'd give the same advise to people visiting any big city in the world.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:59 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorback View Post
Although it is inexpensive to live over the border, I'm sure that it has its cost in terms of time and safety (I understand there is a drug war spilling into the streets). I am single and may be recruiter by a San Diego software company and speak Spanish (poorly).
2 hour commute over the border daily, sometimes as much as 3. Beheadings on a near-daily basis, I believe 40+ dead bodies were found in TJ just last week. Kidnappings of wealthy TJ-connected / businesspeople / businessowners has become a commonplace occurance and has spilled across the border to Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa.

Think twice. I am married to a Mexican-American and we have family in a quiet area of TJ. We won't visit anymore.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-21-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 03:53 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
2 hour commute over the border daily, sometimes as much as 3. Beheadings on a near-daily basis, I believe 40+ dead bodies were found in TJ just last week. Kidnappings of wealthy TJ-connected / businesspeople / businessowners has become a commonplace occurance and has spilled across the border to Chula Vista, San Ysidro, Otay Mesa.

Think twice. I am married to a Mexican-American and we have family in a quiet area of TJ. We won't visit anymore.
What he said!

All of my friends that are Hispanic refuse to go down anymore and are trying to get their relatives that live there to move away from the border area. If you look like you have money you are going to be a target.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,186 times
The drug war will end sooner or later, and you can cross the border on foot in 15 minutes or less.

Last time I went to Mexico, it took me a total of 2 hours to drive to the border crossing from North County, park my car, walk across, buy some stuff in a Mexican pharmacy, walk back and drive home.

Old 01-22-2009, 08:13 PM

415 posts, read 1,395,166 times
TJ is run by organized crime. They at war with one another. You will be taking your life in your hands on a daily basis. Why would you want to put yourself through that? 3 hour waits to get into the country. Why do it??

Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 PM

267 posts, read 1,288,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorback View Post
If there is anyone out there working in SD and living south of border, I'd really like to hear about the experience and the lessons learned. Constructive comments are highly appreciated. Thank you.
There are a ton of Americans who live in TJ.

TijuanaBlog.com (Powered by Invision Power Board)
san diego forums - craigslist
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/forums/?ID=54073419

Last edited by hotornot; 01-22-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
im irish and thinking of moving to san diego with my 15 yr old daughter.Any info on living and working in san diego would be more than helpful.How easy or difficult is it to get work there?I own and run my own successful restaurent in Ireland and am looking to change my life if only for a few months to check out what living there is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego