Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times

Advertisements

Compare San Diego's population by ethnic origin and I think you will find that SD's fitness rate is impacted by a large Mexican population. Mexico is the fattest country in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 02:26 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
This list are kind of stupid when you think about the fact that San Diego made the fittest city on this list 3 years in a row not that long ago but somehow is now one of the fattest. And the same could be said of other cities on this list. I just don't see how it could swing so wildly; did the habits of people change that much in 5 or 6 years? Did a bunch of 24-hour Fitness gyms convert to fast food joints in that time span? Some of these "most and least" whatever lists you have take with a grain of salt and realize just how random they are.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
I enjoy lists but this is one of the worst. Like sav858, when this list started 10 years ago, SD was named fittest for the first 3 years, and now we are among the fattest. Poor Baltimore was fittest city just a couple years ago and now it's among the fattest, as well? Please.

It's just a way to sell magazines and to get people talking about (like I am now). No sense or logic. I cancelled my subscription to this mag years ago when I figured out all they did was rehash the same fitness articles and exercises over and over again.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 PM

239 posts, read 723,754 times
Interesting takes on the list.

It surprised me because I would have thought residents of an area with beaches and all year round good weather would be able to get out and exercise for free, so it didn't make sense for it to fall among the fattest. Having said that, I don't know San Diego (other than a holiday trip several years ago), which is why I was asking what you, who know better, thought.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:19 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,753 times
Car culture and fast food...San Diego is no different, for the most part, than Houston from what I've experienced.

I've seen people in both towns who love to exercise in droves but really people in those sprawling cities are too much into their cars and parking as close to the storefronts as possible.

Obesity is still a common American problem that is increasing with great fast food deals and new reality shows to produce more couch potatoes. That fitness list is SO STUPID. Like it's no secret that cities where cars are relied on less should have more fit people...but let's not pretend San Diego is all that fit on an average basis, beyond idealism. I lived there for four years and the overall automobile and junk food lifestyle is NO different than Houston's.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
^^I'll keep that in mind while I'm at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next month. And I'll also duck into the Galleria Mall once again, to see if there are still a bunch of chubby girls running around in their ugly Quincenera dresses.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
^^I'll keep that in mind while I'm at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo next month. And I'll also duck into the Galleria Mall once again, to see if there are still a bunch of chubby girls running around in their ugly Quincenera dresses.
Galleria? Tourist trap.

You'd probably have a more enjoyable time if after the Rodeo, you took the light rail up to the Museum District and Montrose and did some strolling around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego