Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:48 AM

10 posts, read 58,142 times

Advertisements

Are there any beaches in SD that do not have as many stingrays on them? Or are they all over the place. I have been watching "beach patrol in San Diego" on court tv, and they make it sound like Stingrays are all over the beaches out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 01:17 PM

264 posts, read 1,390,614 times
Stingrays are quite common. I've swam in the ocean for years and never been stung. The key is to shuffle your feet when you go out into the water and this will make the rays move out of your way. (Keep your feet flat and moving forward). They'll sting if you step straight on them.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 AM

3 posts, read 39,085 times
Default NO MORE sTINGRAYS!! OUCH!!!

I've lived on Point Loma all my 49 years. Swam, surfed, played in the ocean every summer like a happy seal in the sun. Last month I got stung by a stingray for my first time ever. It felt like a cherry red hot poker laying on the side of my foot until I got my foot in a bucket of HOT water! Now I detest all stingrays (I purposely am not capitalizing the "S" on their name!) and think we should dredge our beaches for the little #%$tards and make fish fertalizer out of them!! What a stupid creature, laying under sand waiting for big oafs like me to step on their backs. I think everyone entering the ocean should carry a spear and furiously stab the sand-bed in which they walk with the hopes of killing as many as possible.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:09 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,471,515 times
The only place you really have to think about them is Coronado.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 PM

35 posts, read 160,812 times
when you're in the water shuffle your feet, don't pick up your feet off of the ground that way you won't step on top of them

Old 09-09-2007, 08:24 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,932,516 times
Are the SD stingrays the same type/species that killed the 'Crocodile Hunter' or are the SD rays more benign?

Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 AM

Sassberto my friend -- Stingrays are all over, not just Coronado. I got my sting at north OB by Dogs Beach. And one of the biggest places I grew up hearing where they congregate is at Birdsmouth. For those who aren't local San Diegans, Birdsmouth is that stretch of water at the most northern end of Dogs Beach that hugs up against the south side of the jetty rocks. And what's crazy is that in the summer time when all the tourists are here you see them playing in there all the time like its a big pond or lake. That's where I always been told the Stingrays linger around -- right out in the middle -- just waiting for that one foot.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:01 AM

In answer to Bloom's question: Yes & No. The ones on our local beaches that we step on like I did at Dogs Beach are just called Round Stingrays, usually no larger then a half foot long and It typically inhabits sand or mud substratum off coastal beaches, bays, and sloughs. The one Steve Irwin was killed by was a big Bull Ray, aprox 5 to 6 feet in length. They're both related, and they both carry the same sort of barb & venom -- just the Bull Ray has a BULL SIZE barb and dose of venom. The venom is a fairly powerful nerve toxin which affects the heart in complex and dangerous ways. But like most fish toxins, stingray venom is a large protein that can be broken down by heat. First aid should begin with immersion of the wound in hot but non-scalding water (110 to 113° F) for 30 to 90 minutes. The wound should then be cleaned with soap and water and any broken bits of stingray spine should be removed; no attempt should be made to tape or sew the wound closed, unless necessary to stop excessive bleeding. As per Mr Irwin: keep in mind he was hovering above the animal underwater, and I suspect he probably attempted to pet/stroke the animal. Just a guess. Because the big Bull Rays usually won't strike unless threatened (or annoyed!) Lots of folks have swam w/ them and captured cool photos over many years w/ them. But Irwin was a little like the Tim Treadwell Grizzly Bear dude who also met his end, less instantly. For whatever reason, Irwin disturbed the creature enough for it to strike and it just happened the barb went directly through his heart due to positioning of both.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
SDF

52 posts, read 245,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce92106 View Post
Sassberto my friend -- Stingrays are all over, not just Coronado. I got my sting at north OB by Dogs Beach. And one of the biggest places I grew up hearing where they congregate is at Birdsmouth. For those who aren't local San Diegans, Birdsmouth is that stretch of water at the most northern end of Dogs Beach that hugs up against the south side of the jetty rocks. And what's crazy is that in the summer time when all the tourists are here you see them playing in there all the time like its a big pond or lake. That's where I always been told the Stingrays linger around -- right out in the middle -- just waiting for that one foot.
Indeed, the only time I was stung by a stingray was in PB, but that was when I was a kid in the early 90's, oh man, it hurt like hell, throbbing pain for 45 minutes or so, even with soaking it in hot water. Just as painful is the sting of the California Scorpionfish (aka Sculpin). They're great to eat, but the spines contain venom that is just as painful as a Stingray, believe me I know...

I'll have to concur with Sassberto as well, Coro is full of them. I was walking in the Coro surf after taking a walk with my wife on the beach about a month ago and spotted a big one. Usually they're grayish color but this one was black and larger (but it was NOT a batray). Believe me, I'm a fisherman and have caught many batrays (they have a nasty stinger as well). The stingray in question was a common round stingray, but it was crazy lookin'.

The advice to shuffle the feet is sage; any SD native who has visited the beach often throughout your life should have had that info INGRAINED by your parents, the media, or anyone advising you on behavior to exhibit when you enter that water. Works every time when you remember to do it. Otherwise you could be asking for trouble, especially in summer when the water is warmer. But you generally won't have too much problem if you pay attention to your surroundings (read: look down in clear water), or shuffle your feet. SD beaches are awesome!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 PM

35 posts, read 160,812 times
They're everywhere, i've lived here 33 years and never been stung. Do the shuffle and you'll be okay. If you are stung, pee on yourself, I hear it's fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego