Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 AM

29 posts, read 93,344 times

Advertisements

I lived in LA for 2 years (04-05) and there are a lot more normal people there than you would think. I loved LA. (btw: you might want to post something on the LA forum too). I think there are lots of good spots there. Look around West LA, Santa Monica, parts of Venice, Los Feliz, Silver Lake. These areas differ, but I am assuming you might work downtown (I work in financial tech, I worked and lived downtown but don't do that). Also consider Pasadena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 10:07 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeslinger754 View Post
So, hypothetically, if I were to move to LA instead of SD, where would be a good area for me? LA is a bit big and intimidating, and I am unsure of a good area for me. Any ideas, keeping in mind what I have said in previous posts?
West LA.

Seriously... the connections and opportunities you will make both in and out of college are just going to be huge in LA.... you are going to be surrounded by the best people in your field and going to school with your future colleagues. I think you would be making a huge mistake not capitalizing on that, especially in a recession like this.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,981 times
I agree. My ex-boyfriend does film scoring up in LA. As he described it, you needed a minimal level of talent and after that it was mostly who you knew because you needed personal referals to get employment. If you lived out of the area, you just never had the opportunities to meet people who could offer you work.

I really love living in SD. But if you are serious about Film Scoring, I would get up to LA as soon as you can. Its not an easy field to break into.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:09 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,606 times
I am from Michigan and have lived in San Diego for 4 months and I was quite nervous about the brand of people I might find here as well. I am relieved to find that for the most part people here are very friendly and what some might consider "normal". Of course there are all types, but I have not felt out of my element in social situations at all. On the contrary, I find the people here to be a breath of fresh air more times than not. I think you will agree, based on the concerns you've expressed in your post.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
You want to find normal people and are picking LA over SD?

Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 AM

132 posts, read 627,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeslinger754 View Post
So, hypothetically, if I were to move to LA instead of SD, where would be a good area for me? LA is a bit big and intimidating, and I am unsure of a good area for me. Any ideas, keeping in mind what I have said in previous posts?
L.A would be better....I like SD more, but L.A is where the music scene is and the music industry is in L.A, not SD.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:11 AM

470 posts, read 1,707,726 times
I think this thread is really funny. I moved out of San Diego in 1999 because I was tired of the "stereotypes" around me, and thought it would be better elsewhere. I was permanently homesick with a feeling of rootlessness from the time I left. Thank goodness I got it right and came home, where I could rejuvenate the friendships I'd developed over my years of growing up here. All that really matters when it comes to what kind of people live in a city is who you choose to have in your life. Once I could embrace that concept, San Diego felt like my personal paradise again.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You're probably just seeing what you want to see, which in this case is typical CA stereotypes. People are people where ever you go, the vibe/style may be different but most people are normal here just as anywhere else. Maybe you just don't get that and that's why you think people aren't "normal" here compared to DC. People here are more laid back and dress more casually than up north, aside from that I don't notice much of a difference overall once you get past the stereotypes.

Pacific Beach is the place to live if you like to party but it also has a fair amount of those SoCal stereotypes roaming around here. I live in PB and don't really care or pay much attention to those douchebags, but other people don't like this area b/c of the rowdiness and some of the types of people. Ocean Beach has good nightlife but it just has Bay Area (hippy, leftists) stereotypes roaming around instead of SoCal (trendy shirt douchebag) ones. If you want urban try to find areas near the Gaslamp Quarter like Little Italy, Downtown, North Park, etc....
Yes people are people but living in Cali and now on the East Coast (NC) people are different on opposite sides of the USA...very different, can't really compare. Out here everyone addresses you as sir or ma'am. Sure people are normal in that they eat sleep work and buy the same laundry detergent but the attitude and social network is very different indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego